The Return of BFRs??? - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Auraxis Global Network (AGN)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-13, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
bjorntju1
Captain

Re: The Return of BFRs???

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Still would love to see mech-like units and still have no idea why a lot of people assume because they initially didn't work well in ps1 it means they never, ever will work in any game, and then they just start freaking out like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - I WILL QUIT". I mean wtf lol.

This game has barely any science fiction material in it, currently it could be set in the Call of Duty or James Bond universe and nobody would notice. And i haven't seen any new items or units on the horizon that would change that. On the contrary, i heard they are now really going to implement crossbows? I mean, like...seriously?
Ffffs...war in the year 2700 ladies and gentlemen: Beach buggies and crossbows. With neon glow.
Pretty much, if they add mechs in the game, doesn't mean it will suck as it did in PS1.
Old 2013-05-13, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
It's just a deal breaker plain and simple for me, plenty of other things out there that they can add so you can have your sci-fi dry hump.
Thanks for illustrating my point by being against mech units without giving any reason at all.
I think we would still get to a common ground here though if there would be other things they add so i can have my sci-fi dry hump, but there just isn't much. Vanu has a slight sci-fi angle as a faction and maxes look a bit futuristic as long as they don't open their mouth, but that's it. The rest plays and looks like any other modern military sim. Yawnz.

Also it's not just a matter of weapons or vehicles, the whole atmosphere in planetside 2 just doesn't really "feel" sci-fi. It's like one of these star trek races where they glued some funny prosthetic to the forehead and call it a day. A couple of extra planets and moons slapped on the skybox doesn't automatically make an alien world.

I gotta admit at this point though i am not really sure how to improve the overall "feel" of the world. But adding more futuristic weapons and units would definitely help. Adding crossbows not so much.

EDIT: Mind you, this was something i thought planetside 1 could also have fleshed out more to stand out as a game. But back then there wasn't so much modern-military-sim competetition to make it look bland and the more simple graphics left more space for my own sci-fi imagination.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-05-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Shogun
Contributor
General

babyfark, you want a reason against giant mechs?

at first, give a reason FOR them other than "they look scifi".

there is absolutely no reason to add bfrs. no role for them to fill.

the role of the big one man vehicle that can instakill everything is already filled by the mbts and the lightnings as well.

people get crazy when you ask for removement of the mbt solo feature, so there seems to be no chance to add another solo instakiller by changing the balance between lightning,mbt and bfr.

now stop arguing before figment finds this thread

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-13, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Ok let me see. How many BFR players sat on their BFR's on the Courtyard while we where losing the base inside? 95% of them 97% of the time. How many BFR players would sit for hours at the end of a bridge fight instead of crossing over and helping capture? 97% of them.

You see most BFR players had a Bully mentality. I have the biggest strongest vehicle so i'm well protected as long as i don't take chances and I could deal a lot of damage.
This was my frustration with BFR's.

Old 2013-05-13, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
babyfark, you want a reason against giant mechs?

at first, give a reason FOR them other than "they look scifi".

there is absolutely no reason to add bfrs. no role for them to fill.

the role of the big one man vehicle that can instakill everything is already filled by the mbts and the lightnings as well.

people get crazy when you ask for removement of the mbt solo feature, so there seems to be no chance to add another solo instakiller by changing the balance between lightning,mbt and bfr.

now stop arguing before figment finds this thread
Hehe welll, i'm kinda bored at work currently so i'm sorry but i'm being persistent here this time;
Nobody said anything about "solo instakillers" (were you thinking about ps1 bfr's maybe? Remember that you can implement these things differently ^_^).
Actually mechs could fill the role of a multi-person vehicle with a dedicated "driver", basically as substitude for the lack of dedicated drivers in mbts.
The higher maneuverability of a mech (walking, strafing? jumping? ducking?) would in fact make the "driver" position much more worthwhile as in a tank (don't get me wrong, i also would like to see dedicated drivers on mbts - but soe seems to deem that too boring or whatever - but piloting a mech is not boring - more moves to perform).

Oh, and they look sci-fi. Did i mention that? =)

Originally Posted by capiqu
Ok let me see. How many BFR players sat on their BFR's on the Courtyard while we where losing the base inside? 95% of them 97% of the time. How many BFR players would sit for hours at the end of a bridge fight instead of crossing over and helping capture? 97% of them.

You see most BFR players had a Bully mentality. I have the biggest strongest vehicle so i'm well protected as long as i don't take chances and I could deal a lot of damage.
This was my frustration with BFR's.
While i understand this particular frustration and experienced it myself too, i don't see how that is any different from the behaviour of tank drivers in planetside 2 nowadays. Where was this picture with the 4358749 tanks standing around and the cap point showing 0/5 again?

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-05-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2013-05-13, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Hehe welll, i'm kinda bored at work currently so i'm sorry but i'm being persistent here this time;
Nobody said anything about "solo instakillers" (were you thinking about ps1 bfr's maybe? Remember that you can implement these things differently ^_^).
Actually mechs could fill the role of a multi-person vehicle with a dedicated "driver", basically as substitude for the lack of dedicated drivers in mbts.
The higher maneuverability of a mech (walking, strafing? jumping? ducking?) would in fact make the "driver" position much more worthwhile as in a tank (don't get me wrong, i also would like to see dedicated drivers on mbts - but soe seems to deem that too boring or whatever - but piloting a mech is not boring - more moves to perform).

Oh, and they look sci-fi. Did i mention that? =)
ok, mr. fear...
the bfrs would need to be more powerful than the solo tanks, if they are going to fill the role of a multiperson vehicle.(see perpetuum multicrew-thread for math-fetichists)
and the power range of weapons and vehicles is already maxed out.
don´t get me wrong, i would actually love to see more pure multicrew vehicles, and the more scifi the better, but i don´t see space for balancing.
the game suffers badly from the decision to model it after successful arena shooters and go for a fast paces low ttk. low ttk equals low range of possible weaponpower.

Old 2013-05-13, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
ok, mr. fear...
the bfrs would need to be more powerful than the solo tanks, if they are going to fill the role of a multiperson vehicle.(see perpetuum multicrew-thread for math-fetichists)
and the power range of weapons and vehicles is already maxed out.
don´t get me wrong, i would actually love to see more pure multicrew vehicles, and the more scifi the better, but i don´t see space for balancing.
the game suffers badly from the decision to model it after successful arena shooters and go for a fast paces low ttk. low ttk equals low range of possible weaponpower.
What about a BFR with a pilot (pilot does not shoot but has sprint controls w cool down), and a gunner. Weapondry power that falls between a Lightning and at MBT, 2 weapon toggle, maybe they could carry a deployable recon drone or some deployable weapon instead of a second weapon. The armor falls between a Lightning and a MBT. The cruzing speeds is that of a MBT a a smidge better but sprint gets it to lightning certed speed.

You can say why add it what's the purpose.....I say choice, give people the choice to play with it. balance it between the MBT and Lightning with a dedicated driver. Kind of like the Harrasser of tanks.....it would look cool and they could be faction specific to give more ownership of them. Promoting it would possibly bring in some new players who are drawn to mech type games as well.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-05-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 2013-05-13, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Qwan
Captain

OMG this thread is not closed yet, WTF.

Well here goes, why they shouldnt bring back the BFR
1. They were useless, Ive never known a BFR make the difference in a battle (they were usually the first to go).

2. They were not balanced well, either they were OP (NC BFR) or extremly usless (VS BFR).

3. They never spear headed a battle, they were always instantly destroyed, if caught in the open. Now with C-4 and mines, and the type of weapons we have in PS2 its not gonna last long.

4. In PS1 you had to cert for them and they cost quite a bit of your certs slots. So in PS2 are you going to make them common pool . Why dont we just call it Mech warrior 15, cause I can guarantee you there will be zergs of these things running across the continent.

But lets just say balance them and they work well within game (this is hyperthetical), Its saturday night my outfit of about 120 people our cool downs are gone and we all pull mechs, lets just say its an event. Now im going to assume its got anti air and ground configurations. Imagine 120 of these thinks walking across the continent. But wait i see this sometimes, when the other factions go out and pull about 120 tanks at once, so who needs BFR's we got tanks, and lightnings. I dont see a reason to add them just for the simple fact of adding a more alien look, they just wouldnt fit into the mix of vehicles we have, and god help us if they make them common pool .
Old 2013-05-13, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
Promoting it would possibly bring in some new players who are drawn to mech type games as well.
maybe it would attract some new players, but it may also piss of the same amount of ps1 vets who consider any mech in planetside a dealbreaker.

ok, some may like to see the bittervets go, but i think ps2 needs them more than the bf and cod crowd to live up to its potential. without bittervets the game would look like bf3 even more.

if mechs are introduced, they should get a really distinctive role. just another weaponplatform isn´t good. it should become something really innovative!

don´t give it big fat guns, give it something experimental.
but since everything innovative the original bfr could do(like ntu siphon) is of no relevance in ps2, i am not sure what power they should get.
maybe they could project some forcefield on the battlefield that other units could use for cover. not a bubble, but something like the nc max-riot shield, only bigger and stationary once projected. and when the biffer is killed, the forcefield falls as well.
maybe someone can come up with something more intuitive. something that fits into a scifi game and is different from all the other standard weapons and does something very special. aperture science style.

Old 2013-05-13, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

BFR's ?....really. So many PS1 vets get so easily unglued over the "name" .... it's enough for me to vote 'em in (back). SOE don't care if we QUIT over BFRs. Most are HOLLOW threats (to quit or leave the game) anyway. SOE cares about HOW MANY SUBS CAN THEY ADD IF THEY ADD MECHS/BFRs ......

They seemed so unnecessary in PS1. Immediately were OP. Then, over Nerfed. The VS BFRs looked so GAAAY ..... and it seemed they were intentionally programmed to run gay too. The VS BFRs were sooooooo damn UGLY.....makes me laugh now ... I can still remember them runnin' (Prancing) thru the trees lazer arms-a-blazin.....

What has concerned me from Day-1 ... is that EVERY Large base in PS2 is a Giant Transformer crouching into some base form. ....not IF .... but WHEN can we expect the BASES TO RISE UP ? ...... I would sooooooooooooo NOT be surprised by MECHs coming into PS2.

If they do. Keep the scale smaller. A Walker ? Whatever. I don't hate the idea ..... but Dear LORD .... what is that damn EGG-SEED from Outer Space doing as a VS MECH ? ..... c'mon ..... SAY NO to the LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS art work they (that artist - whoever) proposed ....... however, since 90% of the PS1 vets are genetically predisposed to HATE any MECH .... might as well make them rediculouly corny or lame .......

Old 2013-05-13, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
OMG this thread is not closed yet, WTF.

Well here goes, why they shouldnt bring back the BFR
1. They were useless, Ive never known a BFR make the difference in a battle (they were usually the first to go).

2. They were not balanced well, either they were OP (NC BFR) or extremly usless (VS BFR).

3. They never spear headed a battle, they were always instantly destroyed, if caught in the open. Now with C-4 and mines, and the type of weapons we have in PS2 its not gonna last long.

4. In PS1 you had to cert for them and they cost quite a bit of your certs slots. So in PS2 are you going to make them common pool . Why dont we just call it Mech warrior 15, cause I can guarantee you there will be zergs of these things running across the continent.

But lets just say balance them and they work well within game (this is hyperthetical), Its saturday night my outfit of about 120 people our cool downs are gone and we all pull mechs, lets just say its an event. Now im going to assume its got anti air and ground configurations. Imagine 120 of these thinks walking across the continent. But wait i see this sometimes, when the other factions go out and pull about 120 tanks at once, so who needs BFR's we got tanks, and lightnings. I dont see a reason to add them just for the simple fact of adding a more alien look, they just wouldnt fit into the mix of vehicles we have, and god help us if they make them common pool .

Qwan are you seriously arguing that because they were considered a mess (by some) in a different game that was from 10 years ago lessons could not have been learned and they could not be balanced, given purpose, and implemented in PS2? PS2 needs a diverse range of vehicles for specialization sake. The addition of the Harraser alone has filled a gap and added speed to the battle.

Why mechs? They are a different type of platform compared to the familiar real world platforms we know. We all know tanks, and ATVs, Trucks, Buggys, air tranport-gun ships-fighters. We see mechs as extenstions of human evolution. They have Maxx's in the game to make you super human kinda, the next evolution is to make you 15-20 foot tall pilot of a robot.

If not a BFR what then? Why make the same old varients of familiar armor technlogy??? Let individuals choose their preference. This is a pretend world, if you just took the tanks now and added legs and they would function the same would that ruin the game? As long as it's balanced and has a specialization why not a crewed BFR? Oh that's right because they were unbalanced in a different game a decade ago.....really?

Last edited by VaderShake; 2013-05-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2013-05-13, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Ok so for arguments sake, let's scrap the return of BFR's.......now what??

What is the new scifi battle platform to compete in vehicle combat that you would like see implemented into the game???
Old 2013-05-13, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

This thing but better. A nimble go anywhere but not very fast medium tank with three crew. Able to climb hills infantry can get to. Nimble and quick it should not be fast.

I think this is the way to go.
Old 2013-05-13, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
Well it is the appropriate behavior for large overgrown robots potentially rampaging through the streets. It's the Godzilla affect!

Maybe that is why they always like to say they were WAI!!

And to quote myself! (reminded me of a song. But I think it is respect yourself! Close enough! Wait! it's Express yourself. I knew it didn't violate the premise of analogising masturbation! Stroking the old Ego and all!)

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=25289

I also had an idea for roaming invisible bubbles that could transport troops. Either between space on a cont across cont or cross dimension(have to be implemented) or across servers! Permanent or temporarily.
Necro FTW!
Old 2013-05-13, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
Transformable submersibles.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion