Please remove Vehicle seat swapping. - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the: Hippy Administrators.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Re: Please remove Vehicle seat swapping.

PlanetSide 1 was a bit of a war simulator like ARMA 2
only with lots more strategy.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
O' really?

Yes, I'm sure they always fly solo, it's just that the pilot switches seats when he needs to fire...
AC 130; Any APC, tank, transport vehicles, Black Hawk, Chinook etc.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
This has to be the biggest reach I have ever seen on these forums.
That is not a reach at all. There are no "seats" in the classical sense, everything is remote controlled from inside with cameras and such. Have you actually looked at the liberator turrets, the tank turrets or the sunderer turrets?

Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
PlanetSide 1 was a bit of a war simulator like ARMA 2
only with lots more strategy.
No it was not at all. Things died waaaaaay too slowly.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
That is not a reach at all. There are no "seats" in the classical sense, everything is remote controlled from inside with cameras and such. Have you actually looked at the liberator turrets, the tank turrets or the sunderer turrets?
Alright, let's go along with your theory that all guns are controlled by computers. Why would they all be linked together? I'm going to add onto your theory and say that to prevent interference between guns, each computer is linked to its individual gun. This serves to boost performance and eliminates risk of accidentally firing someone else's weapon.

There. Now you have to switch seats.

No it was not at all. Things died waaaaaay too slowly.
Vehicles dying slowly was one of the best parts of PS1
Old 2012-07-18, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

O' really?

Yes, I'm sure they always fly solo, it's just that the pilot switches seats when he needs to fire...
"O' really?" Try researching it next time. I'll just use the first helicopter you used as an example. The Apache has two seats, one for a pilot, one for the co-pilot/gunner. However, BOTH seats have full sets of flight/gunnery controls. Why? Because it would be stupid for the craft to lose firing ability, or crash, if one of the crewman became disabled or died. So.. yes, it can be flown and gunned solo, and you don't even have to switch seats
Old 2012-07-18, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Klockan
First Sergeant

Alright, let's go along with your theory that all guns are controlled by computers. Why would they all be linked together? I'm going to add onto your theory and say that to prevent interference between guns, each computer is linked to its individual gun. This serves to boost performance and eliminates risk of accidentally firing someone else's weapon.

There. Now you have to switch seats.
Do you even know how computers work? You can do these things today in modern vehicles, it is not hard. We even got remote controlled unmanned vehicles, switching which terminal is controlling it is trivial. Since it is possible today then using realism argument that it shouldn't be possible in X number of years feels a bit dumb. Most modern vehicles usually aren't designed for it, some aeroplanes are though.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-18 at 05:30 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
"O' really?" Try researching it next time. I'll just use the first helicopter you used as an example. The Apache has two seats, one for a pilot, one for the co-pilot/gunner. However, BOTH seats have full sets of flight/gunnery controls. Why? Because it would be stupid for the craft to lose firing ability, or crash, if one of the crewman became disabled or died. So.. yes, it can be flown and gunned solo, and you don't even have to switch seats
Think you're being real smart now, eh? He was arguing that all modern warmashines are designed to allow seat changing. Not role changing, seat changing as in physically moving from seat A to B. Let me see you do that in an apache while it's flying.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Zulthus
Colonel

Do you even know how computers work? You can do these things today in modern tanks, it is not hard. We even got remote controlled unmanned vehicles, switching which terminal is controlling it is trivial. Since it is possible today then using realism argument that it shouldn't be possible in X number of years feels a bit dumb.
Then why even sit in the vehicle? We should have RC terminals where you can control every gun and drive it from the safety of your base, just since you say we have that technology.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Klockan
First Sergeant

Then why even sit in the vehicle? We should have RC terminals where you can control every gun and drive it from the safety of your base, just since you say we have that technology.
Because you got latency, are vulnerable to interference and wouldn't be able to drive in a tunnel.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Zulthus
Colonel

Think you're being real smart now, eh? He was arguing that all modern warmashines are designed to allow seat changing. Not role changing, seat changing as in physically moving from seat A to B. Let me see you do that in an apache while it's flying.
Call me Rico and give me a grappling hook.

Old 2012-07-18, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

I happen to know that the PlanetSide 2 vehicles were based on WW2 tech. Just because.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
NexAnima
Private

The real argument stands, Why would you need to. The difference is in PS2, we will change the seats to change our roles. In real life we don't need to, we can just change the roles. The only reason we should have hot swaping (with a delay) is to balance the gameplay.

Last edited by NexAnima; 2012-07-18 at 05:39 AM.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
Zulthus
Colonel

Because you got latency, are vulnerable to interference and wouldn't be able to drive in a tunnel.
I'm sure that far in the future their technology is advanced enough to completely negate those problems, hm? Each vehicle has a very distinct frequency and the waves they send out are much more powerful, able to penetrate through Auraxium.
Old 2012-07-18, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

/facedesk

A: Many modern vehicles of war allow seat changing

B: Some don't! (examples given)

C: *demonstrate that in those examples given seat changing is unnecessary because the roles can be wrapped up into one seat, thereby negating the "Some don't!" argument as the seats can be either physically or electronically switched.

D: redneck pipes in
Old 2012-07-18, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #165
Klockan
First Sergeant

I'm sure that far in the future their technology is advanced enough to completely negate those problems, hm? Each vehicle has a very distinct frequency and the waves they send out are much more powerful, able to penetrate through Auraxium.
But the devs set the rules of what new things are in the future and that isn't in. The point is that you can't use the "it is unrealistic" argument. So, lets just end this discussion here and talk about gameplay implications since it is those that matters. It is realistic with instant vehicle role changes, but is it good for the game?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion