AOE heal, revive - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1,000,893...and you thought your grief points were high.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-29, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Re: AOE heal, revive

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Dunno why people are surprised to hear this, seeing as 50% of the discussion of the game by devs is about making it faster.
Because this is the problem, they're making it faster in the wrong fashion.

Being dead NEEDS to mean something. It already means little in FPS's with respawn. So what little we have needs to remain.

There's no reason to keep ones head down or even bother taking cover if reviving the dead take no effort or time.

They've already sped up the game massively with lower TTK's. It doesn't need need any more speeding up. Too much speeding this game up is going to turn it into BF3's run and gun gameplay.

And the rez grenades, like I mentioned in my last post, will be REQUIRED objects. The side with more of them wins. That becomes the entire game. Who has more grenades.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-02-29 at 02:57 AM.
Old 2012-02-29, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
Because this is the problem, they're making it faster in the wrong fashion.

Being dead NEEDS to mean something. It already means little in FPS's with respawn. So what little we have needs to remain.

There's no reason to keep ones head down or even bother taking cover if reviving the dead take no effort or time.

They've already sped up the game massively with lower TTK's. It doesn't need need any more speeding up. Too much speeding this game up is going to turn it into BF3's run and gun gameplay.

And the rez grenades, like I mentioned in my last post, will be REQUIRED objects. The side with more of them wins. That becomes the entire game. Who has more grenades.
Based upon this post it sounds like you have been playing a lot of Planetside 2.

The side with more guns wins. The side with more tanks wins. The side with more medics...

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-02-29 at 06:28 AM.
Old 2012-02-29, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
FriendlyFire
Sergeant

The idea behind healing grenades is great. If you think differently, that is your opinion.
If you post why it doesn't work, in these forums, you are breaking the NDA, or you have no idea what you are talking about.

Also to the guy that posted about explosive grenades,

EXPLOSIVE
NANITE
FUTURISTIC
HEALING
GRE N ADE S
Old 2012-02-29, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
If you post why it doesn't work, in these forums, you are breaking the NDA, or you have no idea what you are talking about.
Exactly right.
Old 2012-02-29, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
Alduron
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Naeadil View Post
Grenades are bombs.
Just so there's no confusion for everyone, grenades are grenades, not bombs.

gre·nade
noun
a small shell containing an explosive and thrown by hand or fired from a rifle or launching device.
a similar missile containing a chemical, as for dispersing tear gas or fire-extinguishing substances.

While their most common use is to disperse an explosive, they can also be used to disperse a number of different things, including "healing nanites."

There's absolutely no reason for a "healing grenade" to not exist in PS2. Whether it should or not remains to be seen in testing.

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
The idea behind healing grenades is great. If you think differently, that is your opinion.
This, for sure.

Last edited by Alduron; 2012-02-29 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2012-02-29, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Not sure if people would shoot at a "rez ball"... I think healing COULD be done with a grenade, but certainly not a ressurection grenade. If an entire hallway gets smacked, you are bringing alive a brand new army.. and they are too.... It would be a never ending battle of "get up and die" in the same exact place over and over and over.

No rez ball! A healing sniper rifle would be cool though.
I would definitely prefer a healing Sniper Rifle.

"Boom, Headshot. Got him back to full health."

But, I think you don't realize how people adapt to gameplay. You see a glowing ball spewing green stuff, and you know that it rezes people, wouldn't you shoot it?
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-03-01 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2012-02-29, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
You see a glowing ball spewing gree stuff, and you know that it rezes people, wouldn't you shoot it?
Indeed. Personally I think the sniper rifle would be more difficult to make work. It would take most of the risk out of being a medic.
Old 2012-03-01, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Naeadil
Corporal

Originally Posted by Alduron View Post
Just so there's no confusion for everyone, grenades are grenades, not bombs.

gre·nade
noun
a small shell containing an explosive and thrown by hand or fired from a rifle or launching device.
a similar missile containing a chemical, as for dispersing tear gas or fire-extinguishing substances.

While their most common use is to disperse an explosive, they can also be used to disperse a number of different things, including "healing nanites."

There's absolutely no reason for a "healing grenade" to not exist in PS2. Whether it should or not remains to be seen in testing.

This, for sure.
Grenades are weapons.
Old 2012-03-01, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Duddy
First Sergeant

I agree that I think we need to see it in action first, having seen similar items in Global Agenda I think it'll work just fine. Furthermore it actually does make a medic a priority target.

Still a little sceptical about resurrection grenades, but we'll see.
Old 2012-03-01, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Alduron
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Naeadil View Post
Grenades are weapons.
Grenades are still grenades. They are just a container that disperses it's contents in various ways. They can be weaponized. It would be like saying a plane is a weapon. Clearly it isn't, but it can be loaded with deadly contents and disperse them in various ways.

Paint Grenade - Basically a Toy
Fire Extinguishing Grenade - Utility
Smoke Grenade - Utility
IR Grenade - Utility (definitely not a weapon unless you have a severe allergy to IR light)
Frag Grenade - Weapon
Flash Grenade - Weapon (Non Lethal)
Tear Gas Grenade - Weapon (Non Lethal)

If you can load something up with confetti and throw it at children safely then it's not a weapon. Regardless of how badly you want to bend the English language, a grenade is always going to be a grenade.
Old 2012-03-01, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Arsenicfrog
Private

Global agenda has healing grenades for their medic class and it doesnt feel "Mage like" at all. If it can work in that game I have no doubt the devs can make it work and look great in PS2.
Old 2012-03-05, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Folly
Private

I used healing grenades in Global Agenda. Did not like the functionality there. Mainly because allies can never be relied upon to sit still long enough for the grenade to explode on them. I suppose a revive-grenade would be a different matter though.

I did love the nanite-gun in Global Agenda. Long-range, almost sniper-like gun that would cause the hit target to slowly regenerate for a while. Not super-effective at saving single targets who are being focused; but it's very useful for any allies who are smart enough to take cover when they start getting shot.

I do hope that PS2 medics will get lots of healing options that don't require their target to sit still as in PS1.
Old 2012-03-06, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I think that a ranged heal should be in the game but AoE heals and revive grenades should be severely limited.

But I DO hope infiltrators are granted at least personal heal abilities, maybe as well as reviving too.
Old 2012-03-06, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I really doubt that we will be allowed infil revive, as it seems that they have made the class system to directly removed things that they think will be too OP or annoying (such as unfindable, stealthed rezzers), however i really liked that aspect of Planetside. Invisible super support.

I don't even think stealthed rezzing was really that OP due to how easy it was to randomly die as a cloaker in a base fight. But now that cloakers are going to have their invis buffed against cheaters, and we are possibly dealing with larger player numbers, i can see it getting annoying. Esepcially if they put in spastic BF insta rez.

Even so, i would totally train a week long cloaker skill that gave me a single rez, every 12 or even 24hrs lol

Would be awesome in combination of some sort of Feign Death skill haha.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-26, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
FireStormNova
Corporal

I also think AOE heals/revives could work well. I know people or worried about it being over powered but can be easy balanced like other mmo's have done. I have not played PS2 so i can onely guess on a few?
1. If there is a tree skill system they would have to specialize into it to get certain abilities?
2.Mass Revive could only work on people in your squad/platoon
3.Mass Revive is on a long cool down timmer.
4.Revived bodys only come back with 25% health or less.
There are alot more , but ill stop there : this is only a example of what some mmo's have used to help balance there healing classes.
You dont have to recreate the wheel just tune it so it runs alot smoother and faster! *wink* =)
LOL i also like the idea of a healing granade or healing aura if you have to specialize into it!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion