News: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Gettin` Jiggy Wit` It Since 2002
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-23, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt Joins PlanetSide 2 Team

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
In his 2nd vid he mentions UT and UT2004. Plus hes been playing cs 1.6 for 13 yrs so unless he started at age 5 I think this puts him way beyond kiddie status
Ok he's awesome then. Can you link me the video?
Welcome Hunt!

Last edited by I SandRock; 2012-06-23 at 05:19 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Does anyone even know who this guy is? He must play bad stuff like CoD, TF2, and BF cause I've never heard of him
He is a conter strike player and comentator mostly !

So i always have mix feeling about (( pro gamers )) because in order to have (( constent )) experience to not have to relearn new game mechanics! So when they are involve in the developpement process they mostly stop games to moove foward and make them stagnant !

Hope we will not be like that ! i dont like to play the same copy and paste game over and over and over i like to relearn stuff etc.. and seen new thing ad !

thats him

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-23 at 05:27 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
I only have one question: Did the dude ever play Planetside?
Maybe not , but there are several ps2 devs that did/do. Matt Higby included so theres there's little disturbance in the force

Originally Posted by mbarrett View Post
Here we go again , lets post another shit load of articles when we said beta was going to be in a few weeks , we're not interested , just get the bloody beta out like you said you would and stop beating around the bush and wasting our time
A well informed ,balanced,patient and mature outlook. I'm sure you would be a great asset to any beta team
Old 2012-06-23, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Stew
Major

The concern i have is TF2 or Conterstrike have nothing to do with a large scales games like planetside 2 shooters arent just shooters to understand how the game could feel in ps2 you must have experience in Planetside 1 , Battlefields or even quake wars ET , or MAG games like these are in the same veins than planetside 2 Gameplay wise and gameplay mechanics and class wise ...

So iam kinda worried about all this ill give the guy a chance because i dont really know him but from his pedegree is maybe a MLG addict and players but the backgroud games he work/play On seams to have nothing to do with the kind of game that planetside 2 will be !

http://youtu.be/AlnqfXVfL9k?t=15m59««« ive lisen to this and i start to have respect for the guy !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-23 at 05:38 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The concern i have is TF2 or Conterstrike have nothing to do with a large scales games like planetside 2 shooters arent just shooters to understand how the game could feel in ps2 you must have experience in Planetside 1 , Battlefields or even quake wars ET , or MAG games like these are in the same veins than planetside 2 Gameplay wise and gameplay mechanics and class wise ...

So iam kinda worried about all this ill give the guy a chance because i dont really know him but from his pedegree is maybe a MLG addict and players but the backgroud games he work/play On seams to have nothing to do with the kind of game that planetside 2 will be !
He isn't going to be the overall controller over everything in the game. That's Matt Hibgy's job.

To quote T-Ray. Someone said to him ''that looks good for an MMO'' . He said ''we're a FPS game first and foremost , within an MMO world'' Adding Jimmy gives them another viewpoint to make the game the best FPS they can within the breadth of experience they already have at soe. Thats all.
Old 2012-06-23, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
demonicale
Sergeant

Welcome Jimmy, and glad your on the team!

I think your make a great asset that can only be SOE's gain, and the community aswell!.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
A well informed ,balanced,patient and mature outlook. I'm sure you would be a great asset to any beta team
Not saying I agree with the way he said it, but even foreplay and teasing can only go so far before someone blows their-

... well you get the idea.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
wattle
Private

1.6 is a great game with a very smart competitive community, which is similar to how Outfits work together to take bases and such. I think this is an amazing hire.

I remember listening to this guy explain the differences between CS 1.6 and CS:GO, and it was amazing listening to what he could point out. This guy can pay attention to even the tiniest details, and knows what makes games fun and balanced. Him of all people can make all these weapons and in-game movement mechanics fine tuned perfectly, even if he hasn't played a lot of Planetside 1 it's not hard to know what makes it fun.

Last edited by wattle; 2012-06-23 at 06:19 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
EVILoHOMER
Major

Oh not that cunt...

Planetside 2 will be ruined, it was good while it lasted.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
wattle
Private

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Oh not that cunt...
What history are you basing your judgements on? You just sound biased that it's not someone who was apart of the first game.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
zomg
Staff Sergeant

If you are concerned about this guy, just go watch the vids about the recoil stuff, particularily the response vid.

I mean he knows what he's talking about.

It's not about making the game feel like CS. It's about making the game reward skillful play.

One of the reasons I love Day of Defeat (the old one, not Source) is because it has so many factors to it which rewards learning them and using them. The guns are accurate and deadly, but only when used correctly, since the game has heavy physical recoil and movement penalties (you must move the mouse a lot to compensate especially with automatics). The sounds can be used to find enemies. The walls are even more easy to shoot through than in CS, and that makes usage of sound very important. Grenades can be primed, but that is done by picking them up from the ground etc.

All these things add together into a game which is easy to start, but takes a long time to master completely. And once you master one aspect of the game, you are immediately much better at it - It rewards learning to play the game well. It doesn't reward luck and randomness as much.

Do you guys really think that the devs are going to change the game's sci-fi feel because some guy they hired says so? No, I don't think so.

If he can provide feedback like the video I linked above, then great! I think they made the right choice hiring him if he can do that.

Last edited by zomg; 2012-06-23 at 06:44 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

My main concern is that Planetside 2 will focus too much on the small-scale individual player vs individual player 'meta-game' and lose sight of what made Planetside Planetside. Look at the FPS combat in PS1 and compare to any other FPS game of 2003, it is nothing like it. The shooting etc it's all pretty basic stuff. Did we all love Planetside because of the 'feel of the weapons'? I'm afraid this will turn too much into an e-sport shooter game. Where it's about the standard FPS combat. Getting K/Ds rather than focusing on the overall objectives.
You're talking about the complexity of games such as Quake. But I honestly wouldn't want combat to be anything like Quake, where 'skill' is knowing all the powers up and different weapon locations etc. (not saying that's all there is too it of course). I honestly don't want combat encounters to be the decisive feature in PS2. In PS i was never out to try and get the best K/D score, going around looking for kills. I was trying to make my way to an objective, to cover an LLU, to hack a base, blow the gen, blow the spawns, defend our own base etc. And I killed whatever stood between me and my objective. But in a lot of situations you'd actually try to avoid combat (like when you're in an enemy base). Not "oh hey an enemy I'll run back and chase him around the entire map just to get +1 kill"

If the focus becomes on this complex shooter game then I think it will loose sight of the great tactical experience of PS. And people will just be running around trying to kill shit rather than focus on winning a base.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2012-06-23 at 06:52 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
SKYeXile
Major General

Yea, alot of these comments are pretty uncalled for, im normally the first to troll somebody out, but a professional FPS player and commentator comes in as a systems designer and you people want to oust him already?

So what if he's never played played Planetside? most of the people here have, it does not make you qualified to be a game designer, If anything it disqualifies you.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-06-23 at 06:54 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
My main concern is that Planetside 2 will focus too much on the small-scale individual player vs individual player 'meta-game' and lose sight of what made Planetside Planetside. Look at the FPS combat in PS1 and compare to any other FPS game of 2003, it is nothing like it. The shooting etc it's all pretty basic stuff. Did we all love Planetside because of the 'feel of the weapons'? I'm afraid this will turn too much into an e-sport shooter game. Where it's about the standard FPS combat. Getting K/Ds rather than focusing on the overall objectives.
You're talking about the complexity of games such as Quake. But I honestly wouldn't want combat to be anything like Quake, where 'skill' is knowing all the powers up and different weapon locations etc. (not saying that's all there is too it of course). I honestly don't want combat encounters to be the decisive feature in PS2. In PS i was never out to try and get the best K/D score, going around looking for kills. I was trying to make my way to an objective, to cover an LLU, to hack a base, blow the gen, blow the spawns, defend our own base etc. And I killed whatever stood between me and my objective. But in a lot of situations you'd actually try to avoid combat (like when you're in an enemy base). Not "oh hey an enemy I'll run back and chase him around the entire map just to get +1 kill"

If the focus becomes on this complex shooter game then I think it will loose sight of the great tactical experience of PS. And people will just be running around trying to kill shit rather than focus on winning a base.
If you compare Quake 1 to how shooters are nowadays, you could say it wasn't really that complex.

I think focusing on the individual player's experience is important. Players who come from other shooters expect it to have depth in the gunplay, and lacking that they will probably go back to whatever else they were playing.

Frankly, I don't think I would be very excited about this game if the gunplay didn't feel nice from the videos. What you as a player do in the game is essentially running around and killing people, with the added sugar of having objectives to work towards.

If the movement is floaty and shooting is random, it's not fun - I don't like if the game randomly decides the other guy's shots hit me when I was shooting more accurately.

You talked about not wanting the combat mechanics to be a decisive factor in gameplay... What else would the factor be? I mean it is an FPS, albeit at a massive scale. You are going to have to shoot people to accomplish the objective, so why not make shooting people more fun?

I really don't think improving the FPS mechanic is going to take away from the objective based gameplay. Infact I think it will improve it, because you as a player have better control, and with better control, you can shoot that bugger who would otherwise stop you from covering your hacker

Last edited by zomg; 2012-06-23 at 07:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #165
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
PlanetSide needs DISTINCT gun sounds, not REALISTIC. I should be able to easily distinguish all weapons from one another when they are being fired. It was like this in PS1 and it was extremely important to combat awareness. Everything from the Cycler, to the Gauss Rifle, to the AMP and Punisher had very unique firing sounds that made it very easy to figure out what someone was using without looking at them.
This is important.

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
I remember a conversation on the PS1 official forums, where someone was bashing AzK for being a "killwhore" and not capturing CC's. Then an another NC said something like: "Yeah maybe he doesn't go for the CC, but I feel pretty safe to hack a CC, when he is outside killing everything in a hundred meters circle. "
So killing thing is pretty important.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion