News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not quite Heaven, but you can see the gates from here
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-08, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
We've got this
Even better. We can finally put that one to rest also.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Crator
Major General

Really awesome of you to answer our questions Smed! You da' best!
Old 2011-09-08, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

f2p model still bothers me, here's the quote from our forum.

Originally Posted by NewSith
Originally Posted by SonicTHI
Just read the thing is gonna be F2P... i would never pay for SOE shit so i might just give this thing a shot.
I do expect F2P+SOE=P2W or some other form of fail though.
Smedley already pointed out at least twice that they're not going to adopt p2w bullshit.

But as for f2p model, I'm against it, because the pack includes: cheaters, russians with no clue, swearing children and too much balance whining due to empire specific weaponry and large amount of all above.
I've included both of these controversial thoughts to show that it's my exclusive opinion. It doesn't mean that I demand B2P, but I strongly recommend it. At least buying the game once is not that much of a cash sacrifice, but it makes bans more meaningful.

What I'd rather demand is some guarantee that if it's f2p, then I will have nothing to fear.

NOTE: Sonic never played the original PS.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-09-08 at 04:50 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
SavageB
First Sergeant

This DROP thing has me interested...Would it be from taking certain amount of bases throughout your play time...Is it from gathering so many " Resources"....Very curious...Once you collect so many resources do you like, put your money in a vending machine and have a certain chance of getting a certain item...lol. Im gonna go nuts until I find out what this entails...
Old 2011-09-08, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Crator
Major General

No spoilers :P
Old 2011-09-08, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
FIREk
Captain

Smed, thanks once again and (as it seems that you logged out for now) do drop by more often.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SavageB View Post
This DROP thing has me interested...Would it be from taking certain amount of bases throughout your play time...Is it from gathering so many " Resources"....Very curious...Once you collect so many resources do you like, put your money in a vending machine and have a certain chance of getting a certain item...lol. Im gonna go nuts until I find out what this entails...
Chill out son, your spot on with the vending machine

Since his drop comment I've been doing the same thing. What I first came up with since the inventory system is now gone, is it possible once a soldier has died there are items on his body that you can collect. Not so much specifically what said soldier was equipped with, but a randomized bunch of stuff?

Perhaps some of those items are guns?
Old 2011-09-08, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
What I'd rather demand is some guarantee that if it's f2p, then I will have nothing to fear.
I think the main idea should be to get as many players as possible. Planetside is a game that doesn't just need lots players to turn a profit, it needs lots of players to be fun at all. Most of us have probably seen those times where there are only a few dozen people on, and the game is basically unplayable.

While I like b2p too, the reasons you state seem to suggest that we want to eliminate certain types of players. Obviously nobody wants cheaters, so I'm sure they'll take care of those guys, but Planetside is better with bad players as opposed to no players.

So let's welcome the undesirebales with open arms...but still have a feature to ignore their babble.

Old 2011-09-08, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Wow, this thread just exploded.

But "drops" got me worried. Who could potentially drop something that you can keep using after you died once? Im totally for weapon looting from dead guys, but those shouldnt stay after you died.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Another idea has also been floating around the design team. We don't drop weapons.. those are always available through the skill tree (i.e. they take time to get) but we drop implants instead. Either way we don't sell power in any way shape or form.

We are also talking about the role resources will play in all of this. Maybe some weapons or attachments take resources to make. The resources are things you can easily get by simply playing the game so we're never limiting players but we have a good economy.

Just to let you guys know - we're in and playing the game every day. This stuff is the layer on top of core gameplay and it's really fun to discuss and debate. We welcome your opinions. But if I can leave you with one core thing - don't worry - we WILL NOT sell power.
Old 2011-09-08, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
FIREk
Captain

I have a feeling that these drops would be TF2-based. Every once in a while (say, once every 1-3 hours of playtime), after dying you see a prompt that you've gained an item. Imagine this translates to having a blueprint. Now, to add resources into the equation, you need to expend some of these resources to actually unlock the item. After spending 1000 titanium and 300 auraxium and 3 Sunset Sasparilla Star Caps you can use the gun forever. I think this makes a bit of sense.
Old 2011-09-08, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Wow, this thread just exploded.

But "drops" got me worried. Who could potentially drop something that you can keep using after you died once? Im totally for weapon looting from dead guys, but those shouldnt stay after you died.
LOL. I can't wait for someone raging they lost a $20 item .
Old 2011-09-08, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

razor851, what?
Old 2011-09-08, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
FIREk
Captain

Also, Smed, could you elaborate a bit on the vision you have for resources? Would these be collected individually, only for the player's benefit, or somehow for the empire? Would they be used to buy long-term stuff only, like "researching"/unlocking weapon modifications, or to buy every day stuff like MAX units, tanks, fighters etc?

My main thought is: why would anyone care about attacking a resource-rich area? Also, what about the currently weakest faction (for instance, VS pushed into a corner of the cont, or an under-populated NC)? They would have the lowest potential for gaining resources, but if they get a resource gathering boost, what is the point if fighting harder if you're getting decent resources off "welfare"?

Also, while I'm at it, would player-only resources be gathered online only? Seems logical, but just in case..

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Anyway, smed, while you are here: Can you just tell us if Planetside 2 will be DX10 only? Please say yes, DX9 should have died years ago. :/
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion