"Speeding it up" - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Which ones the enemy again?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of "speeding up" the game
Yes 48 22.22%
No 76 35.19%
Too early to have an opinion 85 39.35%
I don't care either way 7 3.24%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-19, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
goneglockin
Sergeant

Re: "Speeding it up"

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I'm just saying they have to make the animations fairly plausible. In an ADS system it would look slightly stupid to see this guy with his head crammed to the sights and running sideways at full speed while still shooting you.
Yes, but ADS would still work like ADS, slows you down and all that. Just saying that the ready stance/moving fire should be pretty accurate out to 30-50 feet, and decreasing in effectiveness from there unless you shoot in semiauto or short bursts.

I find anything more restrictive than that and you end up with everyone hiding behind rocks, glued to their sight, because you cannot advance and fight at the same time. Should be able to do that.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by goneglockin View Post
Are we going to simulate digging a hole in the frozen ground and sitting in it for months on end, and getting trench foot too? If you're going to make an MMOFPS, do it- but make it fun I say.

Realism is passe.
I hardly think that there is a comparison between aim down sight mechanic instead of hipfire lasers, and digging foxholes.

You really want AD AD AD AD AD mechanics?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-19 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Yes, but ADS would still work like ADS, slows you down and all that. Just saying that the ready stance/moving fire should be pretty accurate out to 30-50 feet, and decreasing in effectiveness from there unless you shoot in semiauto or short bursts.

I find anything more restrictive than that and you end up with everyone hiding behind rocks, glued to their sight, because you cannot advance and fight at the same time. Should be able to do that.
How do you reconcile this with your feelings that the COF on guns in modern games is to large?

It would be slightly pointless to use ADS shooting for long ranges when hip firing is accurate already.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
You aren't going to get rid of AD AD AD with ADS shooting, but with a lower TTK.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
Toppopia
Major

I think the early ghost recon games had fairly accurate non ADS shooting, then to be extremely accurate you could aim down the sights. So long as you wern't moving you didn't have to be in ADS, man i miss those games..
Old 2012-05-19, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
goneglockin
Sergeant

I hardly think that there is a comparison between aim down sight mechanic instead of hipfire lasers, and digging foxholes.

But there is an analogy there and it's this: ADS is unnecessary realism; especially when the only time hip fire is even useful is when you can almost touch the other guy with the muzzle... as the majority of modern shooters made it, and it's wrong.

Call it "AD AD mechanics" but it's always been a part of FPS gaming and it was the only brand that was ever intense or demanding enough to generate huge interest in gaming tournaments where the word "athelete" got thrown around quite a bit.

The same cannot be said of the new school shooters that are all about stopping to shoot.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I think the early ghost recon games had fairly accurate non ADS shooting, then to be extremely accurate you could aim down the sights. So long as you wern't moving you didn't have to be in ADS, man i miss those games..
Isn't that the primary complaint, though, of the ADS haters, that they have to stop moving? The only difference there is that you don't have to ADS, you still have to stop.

But there is an analogy there and it's this: ADS is unnecessary realism; especially when the only time hip fire is even useful is when you can almost touch the other guy with the muzzle... as the majority of modern shooters made it, and it's wrong.

Call it "AD AD mechanics" but it's always been a part of FPS gaming and it was the only brand that was ever intense or demanding enough to generate huge interest in gaming tournaments where the word "athelete" got thrown around quite a bit.

The same cannot be said of the new school shooters that are all about stopping to shoot.
I think that if ADS is unnecessary realism and that we can run around and strafe at full speed and still get high accuracy, the very first thing we also need to bring back is firing while jumping, and prone diving. They all go together.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
goneglockin
Sergeant

It would be slightly pointless to use ADS shooting for long ranges when hip firing is accurate already.
On defense it would be great. But try playing offense in a game that doesn't let you hit anything unless you are crouched and standing still. Most of these games that do this, the attackers just find a way to bypass the defensive fire and hit from behind.

It's a poorly thought out mainstream design staple.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
goneglockin
Sergeant

I think that if ADS is unnecessary realism and that we can run around and strafe at full speed and still get high accuracy, the very first thing we also need to bring back is firing while jumping, and prone diving. They all go together.
Oh yeah, I forgot, there's no such thing as middle ground. My bad.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

No offense mate, but I don't think you're looking for PS2, I think you're looking for Tribes: Ascend.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
goneglockin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
No offense mate, but I don't think you're looking for PS2, I think you're looking for Tribes: Ascend.
Why would I want to play a flight simulator? Seriously, that game just looks silly.

Last edited by goneglockin; 2012-05-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
I don't think what he want's is quite out of the realm of PS2. In essence he just wants combat to be fast paced and intense while still retaining skill and tactics.

While he may not be able to get this through movement it could be introduced in other tactial decisions like the HA's shield or the light assaults jumpjets.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Why would I want to play a flight simulator? Seriously, that game just looks silly.
Because you're obviously looking for something just like that.

Fast twitchbased shooter with no ADS (as far as I know).

That is pretty much what you described this whole time.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #193
goneglockin
Sergeant

I don't think what he want's is quite out of the realm of PS2. In essence he just wants combat to be fast paced and intense intense while still retaining skill and tactics.
Now THAT sounds like a good time!
Old 2012-05-19, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #194
Stardouser
Colonel

Hmmm...if you don't like Tribes, have you been supporting us in the fight against jump pads? I wasn't paying attention to who all was posting there.

Oh yeah, I forgot, there's no such thing as middle ground. My bad.
ADS doesn't make it extreme realism. True enough, extreme realism games like ArmA and middle ground realism games like BF2 share ADS, but removing ADS and going with hipfire lasers and strafing is such a huge individual step towards the relaxed end of the spectrum that it couldn't possibly be middle ground, imo.
Old 2012-05-19, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

but removing ADS and going with hipfire lasers and strafing is such a huge individual step towards the relaxed end of the spectrum

I think "relaxed" is a poor choice of words here. I would argue the opposite.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion