Some random thoughts on air combat in PS2 - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tip your admins!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-21, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Some random thoughts on air combat in PS2

Originally Posted by ParisTeta View Post
I don`t want to make a new thread for it, but i got the thinking bug again. Has anyone noticed something which prevents prolonged upside/down flying? Or pushing the nose to fast down?
Well, there was a...certain incident involving a Gal in one of the TotalBiscuit videos that suggests that the Galaxy, at least, doesn't generate enough lift while upside down. I can't say for sure though. Especially with the Scythe.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Could anyone tell from the vids if "small arms fire" has any affect to the aircraft?

Also, what does my fellow pilots think of the idea in using C4 to take out a Galaxy mid air?

Last edited by Reizod; 2012-06-25 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
LegioX
First Sergeant

Good to see this thread resurface back to front page. Seriously need to keep on the developers about having a pretty good air game. I just don't want this game to become an arcade type flight model. Have some sort of realistic behavior when it comes to stalls, dives, turns, etc etc.. I just dont want to see planes doing endless loops and turns without losing alot of energy and becoming low and slow.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I don`t want to make a new thread for it, but i got the thinking bug again. Has anyone noticed something which prevents prolonged upside/down flying? Or pushing the nose to fast down?
I don't think fuel feed and negative gees are much of an issue in the future where everything runs on space dust and alien chips. What would be interesting is whether they've differentiated between craft which achieve level flight aerodynamically and those that do so by cutting in vertical thrust. The answer, of course, is "probably not", but it would make for interesting differences in the flight models of the craft vis-à-vis inverted flight.
Old 2012-06-25, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
MrMorton
Sergeant

Both a very unnatural habits, because of certain limitation in real life and would feel very unnatural in PS2 too. Spotting on the ground would be alot better when upside down, and evading against the instinct, pressing nose down would the best way, especially Scythe will profit from it.

I just can`t imagine seeing a flight of Aircraft upside down the most of the time.

I know in WW2O, 109´s uses there engine which works under negative g to evade sometimes with a dive forward, why older Allies models couldn`t and stutter.
Probaly with modern technick both wouldn`t be a problem, but would not feel good in my opinion, and it count what effective, this is what player will do.

What are your thoughts on that?

P.S.: Another WWIIO anecdote, once, flying upside down was faster then regular flight, doing some mistake in the Flightmodel, so there was a time, they were all flying upside down.
as for flying inverted, the fighters appeared to be able to fly inverted with no ill affects, however the lib/galaxies crashed when flipped over.

as for suddenly pulling downwards, surely that is a less unnatural maneuver than suddenly pulling upwards (you would be releasing load on the wings when suddenly diving), but seeing how the aircraft don't really have "wings" I would think that lift is not going to be factored into such a simplistic flight model.
Old 2012-06-25, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
ParisTeta
Sergeant

My idea is, to put a limit on, so the game feels more natural to us (for me the answer is yes). In my opinion, it is really an important point to discuss, because in the end gameflow is everything.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion