Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No I will not make out with you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-05, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
will tell you my opinion once ive had a chance to test it..

However for those of you saying melee is bad in fps game.. stop being so self righteous.. Many the time in Planetside I had infiltrated an enemy base, I had my rek, I had emp grenades and I had a pistol no spare ammo.. I relied on knife for kills it was silent and the shotgun pistol wasnt...

to those saying 1 hit kills with knife I disagree, should always be an element of danger so killing in 2 Hits is good enough

and quick Knife makes more sense than Baynet or rifle butting as a universal melee attack since everyone could carry one on thier person but not everyone will have rifles..
On about page 5 they went into a side track about pre-meditated stealth kills with knife being totally acceptable.

We're talking specifically about the QUICK knife doing a lot of damage or potentially outright kill.

And I'd love some sort of power sword for the MAX like those sword guys from HALO. They looked cool. But no "one button to equip an item from my belt and stab them in the throat and they die instantly and then re-equip the same item i had before". Or else we can have quick grenades, quick medic grenades, quick swaps to our pistols and other weapon (Holsters permitting) Quick engy turret deploys, quick scope sniping, and quick whatever else I've forgotten.

I even think blocks and ripostes similar to Skyrim would be acceptable. Some sort of riot shield and baton/cattle prod arrangement. But you need skill to time the blows and range and stuff. Skill, not keypresses. Otherwise i'd play wow.

Last edited by StumpyTheOzzie; 2012-07-05 at 05:56 AM.
Old 2012-07-05, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Froglicker
Corporal

and quick Knife makes more sense than Baynet or rifle butting as a universal melee attack since everyone could carry one on thier person but not everyone will have rifles..
Replace "rifle butting" with pistol whipping, shotgun clubbing, repair tool smacking, etc. Every equippable item is a viable blunt instrument of pain. No one's gonna be running around with pillows in their hands. Even if they for some reason have a soft item equipped, they can still kick.
I'd vote for a quick-bash-em-with-whatever-is-in-your-hands button over a quick-knife anyday.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
MorioMortis
Corporal

Quick knifes are an aberration, born from the transition between WW2 shooters (where most guns are stout enough to be used effectively as bludgeoning devices) towards modern day shooters (where most guns, except AK's, aren't really strong enough to stand up to bashing). Looking at the gear in PS, it appears sturdy enough to justify the former rather than the later, and, like others have posted earlier, most weapons above the carbine level should be able to mount a bayonet.

However, people still like to have melee weapons in-game, as they are (usually) a quick and silent (and undoubtedly stylish) way of killing others. Bringing back the equipable knife plays on those aspects and makes using a knife a tactical decision, rather than a spur of the moment reflex. Plus, knife duels are just classy, and the 2 damage level equipable knife (like in PS1 and CS) make them that much more interesting, and with the added bonus of making use of both the "knife" mode and the ES "heavy" mode for each knife.

Furthermore, the inclusion of equipable knifes means that you can further differentiate the two attack modes, for instance, by adding armor-piercing to the heavy attack, to kill MAXs and, over time, vehicles (after all, those things are mag-cutters, portable saws and power knifes).
Old 2012-07-05, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
Noivad
Master Sergeant

Voted #3 keep it like PS1

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are
Old 2012-07-05, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
MightyJellyFish
Private

They used the quick knife to appeal to more casual audiences right? But I'm only 16 I could be considered a casual console player. The only game me and my friends enjoyed the melee attacks was Halo Reach with animated kills if you held the button, you actually break they're neck or stab them in the neck.

Quick knife looks so stupid and is never satisfying or fun to pull off. If they wanted to appeal to a wider audience they should have put in animated kills in my humble opinion.

As for the poll I like a quick melee bash like a kick or punch to disorientate for less than second and give the two of us time to equip knifes.

Also I'm all in favour of backstabbing instant kills as long as it takes a long time like an animated kill or holding the button for a little bar to fill up.
Old 2012-07-05, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
Jeepo
Corporal

Equip the knife. Then it is a conscious decision with all the consequences good and bad that go with that decision. Quick knife is pretty lame.
Old 2012-07-05, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
SergeantNubins
Corporal

The problem with quick knife, as far as I can see, is that it somehow makes a knife attack, against an armoured opponent, more powerful than a bullet. That just isn't the case.

I would't mind a quick melee attack, but I think it needs to be a quick stun, rather than a quick kill. Then you can have a virbroblade or whatever as an equippable weapon for an infiltrator that is more deadly (im fine with seeing a planned backstab killing someone, just not a scrambled slash with a pocket knife, which is what it looks like in most shooters).
Old 2012-07-05, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
MightyJellyFish
Private

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post
The problem with quick knife, as far as I can see, is that it somehow makes a knife attack, against an armoured opponent, more powerful than a bullet. That just isn't the case.
^This .

Also the quick knife animation could at least be a stab instead of a pathetic slash that doesn't even look like they are hitting them.

Head shots, explosions and even a spray of bullets into someone's chest are very satisfying (not to mention badass looking) compared to *swish swish swish guy falls over* -_-
Old 2012-07-05, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by MightJellyFish View Post
^This .

Also the quick knife animation could at least be a stab instead of a pathetic slash that doesn't even look like they are hitting them.

Head shots, explosions and even a spray of bullets into someone's chest are very satisfying (not to mention badass looking) compared to *swish swish swish guy falls over* -_-
This is a big problem with the current animations... Norman Bates was wrong, YOU DO NOT HOLD A KNIFE THAT WAY.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-05, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
The Kush
Captain

I would be okay with a rifle bash, but I don't care really to have it in.

Either way the community has spoken, no gay ass quick knife.

Quick knife = fail
Old 2012-07-05, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Monsta
Corporal

50% damage for stealth class (unupgraded) when doing it from the back, all others classes or different stab positions 25% damage (unupgraded). If you don't like the stabs you are not shooting me accurate enough. + you can walk a little faster when having the knife selected. At least let me trow the knife at ya in case i am out of power xD

Last edited by Monsta; 2012-07-05 at 05:15 PM.
Old 2012-07-05, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

I want a bayonet option here! Makes the most sense out of every suggestion here so far.

Edit: Made a topic in the idea vault with this

Last edited by Zalmoxis; 2012-07-05 at 05:40 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion