Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What do you mean, no wookies?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-22, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #181
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I've never heard of Warden incorrectly banning someone, so Warden is already > PB if we assume they both do nothing to cheaters.
I've never heard of Warden. What games included this and how is it different than PB?
Old 2012-06-22, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #182
Stew
Major

Battle replay can be awesome for 2 reason making great video and also catch cheaters !

But those have to be release with a delay like few hours and can be deleated every weak so people have to download those in zip files

Anyway SOE even Dice have sufficient data to get all cheaters but the worst are the one who just cheats carefully thats mean they dont use the cheats to much they lets people kill them few times and they trick the programs

Very obvious cheaters are easy to catch

But the difference between a carefull cheater and a very good players is very tricky for the Anti cheat programs !

But i seriously hope they will do something really efficient agains cheating

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-22 at 02:58 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #183
ODonnell
Corporal

Punkbuster has been crap since it first appeared on the market. I admire their attempt but it has always just felt like a money grab to me. When CS was in beta and PB released we cheated all the time to see what it could and couldn't pick up. Keep in mind we ran a server so it was honestly research. We have done the same for every game that we have hosted servers for and every time PB was circumvented. Punkbuster will catch the cheater who doesn't look at the date of a cheat, read forums, and researches. It takes all but 10mins to find the info you need using goggle and thats what pisses me off about PB. If I can find a new cheat or updated version, why can't they change their approach and improve? Especially after 10yrs. PB isn't alone in this though. My mini rant on PB would be unfair if I didn't admit they are no better or worse than the competition.

The best form of cheating prevention is what Higby has described. PB, active log research, undercover cms, and internet research into cheats. Hell there are sites that sell memberships now to cheats. Sign up. Combating cheaters is literally war.
Old 2012-06-22, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #184
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
I've never heard of Warden. What games included this and how is it different than PB?
It's Blizzard's anti-cheat system. So Blizzard games

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-06-22, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #185
ODonnell
Corporal

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
It's Blizzard's anti-cheat system. So Blizzard games
Hard to really examine the effectiveness of Warden when you consider the target painted on its back.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #186
SixShooter
Captain

I don't know if anyone who brought this thread back to life read the older posts. It has been clearly stated that while PB is being used, it's only one tool among many that will be used to prevent hacking.

Old 2012-06-22, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #187
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

PB has always been utter shit. Is this supposed to be news ???????????
Please dont tell me PS2 is going to use PB. If thats the case this is a terd that will sink.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #188
ODonnell
Corporal

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
PB has always been utter shit. Is this supposed to be news ???????????
Please dont tell me PS2 is going to use PB. If thats the case this is a terd that will sink.
Turds float a lot of the time
Old 2012-06-22, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #189
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

SOE has said time and time again, PB is just one of many many anti-hacking programs and methods they will be using. After the account hacking incident that SOE had a year ago, I'm confident that SOE has learned how to be better at preventing hacking. Talking about this subject any more is just...

Old 2012-06-22, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #190
TAA
Staff Sergeant

How about for once also giving the community some power to police itself, as well as using punkbuster.
  1. Require everyone to enter credit or bank card details when creating an account.
  2. Auto flag anyone with suspicious activity. Eg. dramatic improvement in performance from one day to the next, stats that are too good, hit ratio that is too high when taking into account target distance and speed, etc.
  3. Record footage server side of flagged players playing for 5 mins.
  4. Allow any player in the game to review random footage of flagged players playing. The players doing the reviewing can choose to mark the viewed footage for further review by SOE.
  5. Two SOE employees look over the footage that was marked by players as being suspicious. If they determine its a hack then account (and credit/bank card) gets banned.
  6. Players who misreport footage as hacks get put on an ignore list by the SOE employees. Ie. they wont bother reviewing footage marked by those players any more.

There would be plenty of players out there who would be willing to spend a few minutes each day reviewing some footage for free, and who are very experienced at detecting hacks. Why not get them to help out?

Last edited by TAA; 2012-06-22 at 10:10 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #191
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I've never heard of Warden incorrectly banning someone, so Warden is already > PB if we assume they both do nothing to cheaters.
That depends if you count all of the innocent people they ban in hopes to make more money off of them. You could say it isn't incorrect since they do it intentionally, but those people are still innocent.
Old 2012-06-22, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #192
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
SOE has said time and time again, PB is just one of many many anti-hacking programs and methods they will be using. After the account hacking incident that SOE had a year ago, I'm confident that SOE has learned how to be better at preventing hacking. Talking about this subject any more is just... http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/...adeadhorse.gif
However, the point I think a few of us are trying to make is that PB is more like pure dead weight than a crippled old man with foggy glasses spotting targets for you.

Too many other additional problems on top of it's complete stellar performance records.

No system is perfect, it's impossible, but just about everything single possible thing is better than PB.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-22 at 10:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-23, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by TAA View Post
How about for once also giving the community some power to police itself, as well as using punkbuster.
Good thread about that a while back: Trial by your peers?
Old 2012-06-23, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Good thread about that a while back: Trial by your peers?
That was an interesting thread that was also very full of bile.

I think that it is important to differentiate cheating/hacking from griefing. This current thread talks about punkbuster and alternatives for dealing with hacking.

Cutting back on griefing and abuse in-game are more design decisions. This is an excellent article from four years ago about how social engineering can be used effectively in games: Fixing Online Gaming Idiocy

And just as an aside that is not completely relevant to PS2, here is another classic article on players that is more applicable to MMORPGs in general.
Old 2012-06-23, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #195
PredatorFour
Major

Guys you just gotta come to accept the fact that there will be hackers in PS 2. There`s nowt they can really do about it tbh, its a free to play game. Plus given Sony`s track record with hackers......it aint good. Anyone remember the thousands of PS 3 hacked accounts as well as the SoE hacked accounts ?? If they hackers want it so badly they will get it end of. It aint going to stop me playing PS 2, it is free to play after all.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion