Potential For Selling Pay To Win - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't feed the Monkeys
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: Potential For Selling Pay To Win

Heres the thing that would be ideal: An option to pay a sub instead of buying micro-transactions that allows access to the same content. That way, people who only want to buy certain things, can do that.. and people that want access to the entire thing can pay a flat sub every month instead.

I'm betting you'd have far more people buying a sub than you would see using the store.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Heres the thing that would be ideal: An option to pay a sub instead of buying micro-transactions that allows access to the same content. That way, people who only want to buy certain things, can do that.. and people that want access to the entire thing can pay a flat sub every month instead.

I'm betting you'd have far more people buying a sub than you would see using the store.
They got this, don't they?

Am i mistaken?!
Old 2012-06-05, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

It's a slippery slope, definitely, but the cat's out of the bag now.

I'm definitely worried about the resource booster... that could potentially be gamebreaking.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Winfernal View Post

Am i mistaken?!
No, because it isn't as profitable.

Zing. See how it isn't about being reasonable? If I'm wrong, point me at it.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
Toppopia
Major

I would also guess that if you stop subbing you lose access to everything? Or do you keep it all?
Old 2012-06-05, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

No, because it isn't as profitable.

Zing. See how it isn't about being reasonable? If I'm wrong, point me at it.
I swear i've heard it somewhere. It's like a "premium subscription." Please... someone confirm, please..
Old 2012-06-05, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I would also guess that if you stop subbing you lose access to everything? Or do you keep it all?
if I stop subbing, access denied. No reason not to keep it like that.

Old 2012-06-05, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
Mechzz
Major

Am i mistaken?!
Subscription option is not confirmed, and no details.

Hard to see them giving the whole cash shop to someone who subs though, isn't it? I'll need to see what they offer for a sub and do the math. I plan to spend no more than $15 per month, same as a sub would have cost. If I can't feel competitive doing that, I'm gonna feel that I'm being gouged by SOE. Which would make me sad.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Subscription option is not confirmed, and no details.

Hard to see them giving the whole cash shop to someone who subs though, isn't it? I'll need to see what they offer for a sub and do the math. I plan to spend no more than $15 per month, same as a sub would have cost. If I can't feel competitive doing that, I'm gonna feel that I'm being gouged by SOE. Which would make me sad.
I don't expect the whole shop, with the cosmetic stuff etc.

I expect things like "boosters". You know... these... advantages. (Yes, i said it)If i'm subscribing. Because cosmetic stuff is nothing but looks. And yes, i will get sad if there's no option to do this.

If i am a loyal subscriber, why shouldn't i get it?!
Old 2012-06-05, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
SKYeXile
Major General

Again, you're probably spending more than its actually worth with the F2P model. If you find that rewarding, then good for you but I personally think you to be a fool for being that easy to placate when, imo, a sub could probably bring in as much revenue and produce as much content.
Possibly, but planetside needs players, without it, it dies. best to keep a good influx of people with F2P than have it haemorrhage with P2P.

Also you're greatly underestimating how much people spend on gaming especially F2P games.
Iv been subbed to PS2 for about 2 years. so they have probably made like 250, maybe 300 or so off me.

In a year of world of tanks...iv spent about $500.00 or so i think. In free realms i think i would have spent about $300.00 in like a month on that...god dam giant toads.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-05, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
Mechzz
Major

I don't expect the whole shop, with the cosmetic stuff etc.

I expect things like "boosters". You know... these... advantages. (Yes, i said it)If i'm subscribing. Because cosmetic stuff is nothing but looks. And yes, i will get sad if there's no option to do this.

If i am a loyal subscriber, why shouldn't i get it?!
Yeah, I agree. I did a forum search and there has only been an occasional mention of resource boosts (which strike me as p2w), but I hadn't picked up on it. I have to say I'm now hoping the camo doesn't make much difference in gameplay, because these "boosters" (blergh!) are probably where the money will need to be spent.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
DashRev
Private

Again, you're probably spending more than its actually worth with the F2P model.
For the record, and I know you probably weren't specifically referencing me anyway, I never spent a penny on League of Legends. It was still a lot of fun and I never felt disadvantaged by not spending anything.

If you find that rewarding, then good for you but I personally think you to be a fool for being that easy to placate when, imo, a sub could probably bring in as much revenue and produce as much content.
Part of what I like about the F2P model is that it makes the game a lot more accessible for a lot more players. You don't have to ask yourself, "Is this game still worth $15?" every month. If you're really enjoying the game and putting a lot of time into it, the value of some of the microtransactions begins to seem higher. If you've been playing a F2P game for 3+ hours a day for a month, check by the store and see if there is anything that interests you and maybe spend some money. If you're down to about 3 hours a week, and you don't think its worth it, then don't buy anything.

Its also easier for new and returning players to get involved again. If you're looking at a new game and there is no trial version, or the demo isn't really representative of the actual game, you can get screwed out of up to $60 if the game ends up not interesting you. If you quit a game because of X bug or Y feature not being in the game, you probably have to spend $15 just to see if they actually fixed it or actually added it the right way. Take away that introductory barrier and you'll see more players give your game a shot.

Maybe a subscription would get you more content, or maybe a subscription would strangle your game because not enough players think its worth $15 a month. But maybe some players think its worth $20 a month, and some players think its worth $10 a month. Maybe some don't want to pay anything at all, or only want to drop 2-5 dollars just when they see something that interests them.

In reality, the F2P is about whether you trust the developers to take the money they're getting and use it wisely. If they know how to market the game, and release the most content for the money they're getting, and properly balance a game among paying and non-paying players, there is no reason that a subscription is better than a F2P model.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Possibly, but planetside needs players, without it, it dies. best to keep a good influx of people with F2P than have it haemorrhage with P2P.

Also you're greatly underestimating how much people spend on gaming especially F2P games.
Iv been subbed to PS2 for about 2 years. so they have probably made like 250, maybe 300 or so off me.

In a year of world of tanks...iv spent about $500.00 or so i think. In free realms i think i would have spent about $300.00 in like a month on that...god dam giant toads.
Underestimating? No, not really. Elfailo/Elcyco earlier mentioned I had been paying subs to SOE for years. Well, putting that in perspective..

Original Activation Date: June 16, 2003. I don't say that to be elitist either, I don't care to flaunt that openly as it doesn't matter much to me to be clear. Only long break I took was between 2008-9ish and 2011, and then for like.. 6-7 months just recently. Other than that, its been 15 a month since 03. That also doesnt take into account I paid for EVE between 2005 and 2007 without fail. What is also unmentioned are the numerous other gaming related subscriptions ive had in the past from other games ive tried and have played. Its completely unsuprising to me to hear that someone spends 500 a month on gaming.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-06-05 at 02:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
DashRev
Private

Higby did mention something like this by the way. He referenced a "membership" in one of the videos. It may have been from the GDC stuff, I'll hunt for it.

[Edit] Found it. He starts talking about the store at around 4:57. He talks about having a "membership" at around 5:37.

Last edited by DashRev; 2012-06-05 at 02:29 AM.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
So when did your beta invite come through Sky?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion