Tech Test starting at 6pm, Invites going out now! - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: like sex with your computer
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-15, 02:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
Sephirex
Major

Re: Tech Test starting at 6pm, Invites going out now!

I didn't get an invite.....But I still love you all. Thanks for sharing the pain for me.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I'm surprised to why Eu and other non NA players are not in the tech test. It'll probably help with the ping testing and I believe that some of the lower end computers are non NA players.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
Vagabond
Private

A lot of you are missing the point (if not, you're not doing a good job of conveying that). Many people are frustrated because the devs have been telling us beta will be soon. For probably half a year or so, their statements have simply been wrong. To add to that, no one is certain how long this tech test will last. They have said 1-2 weeks, but they also said the beta would be within 1-2 weeks during E3. I simply cannot really trust their statements any longer. I, as well as other users, have the right to be upset because we are being mislead and, quite literally, lied to.

However, if you did not get into the tech test for whatever reason and are upset about that, you should certainly get over it.

So the point of my post? Stop saying EVERYONE that is complaining is self-entitled or what else.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
Lythca Frost
Private

Originally Posted by eybro View Post
I think we need to re-examine what we have been told by SOE about the beta in order to understand why people are "uber complaining":

1. At E3 IIRC the exe producer said beta was two weeks away, it was said they they would have a break after E3 and then rollout beta. E3 ended on June 7th.

2. Then the whole twitter (and FB) key giveaway fiasco happened with people spamming #planetside2 for days trying to get keys.. as someone who tried and gave up (even made fan art lol) it was annoying to say the least.

3. Then Higby said on AGN that he would get a haircut when beta started.

4. Then we were told by I think Smedly on twitter soon after E3 that it would be within a month.

5. Then there where a few more SOON™s metioned by various devs.

6. Then we were told the "short" tech test had begun and the beta would follow soon after.

7. Weeks later Higby announced he was getting a haircut on thursday sending people into a omgfrenzy.

8. Thursday came and went with no beta rollout and a pre-mature haircut.

9. The community event happened and a video was posted on youtube where some guy said there were 100,000 PS1 vets most of which will not understand why they won't get into beta straight away, basically admitting that they will have to deal with the beta overhype.

10. Now we are back to waiting "1-2 weeks" for a tech test where only a relatively small number of US only testers with shitty computers are playing what sounds like a terribly bugged early beta version of the game.

^that is only what I can recollect atm.. I think it is fair to say that it could have been handled better and its actually quite easy to see why people are "uber complaining".
We can look at this in two ways. First, yes it is frustrating that there is this inconsistency, yes it is frustrating for a soon date to keep arising, and then once it arises, be told that the real beta will once again begin soon. This isn't a wrong way to interpret the information, but it's also a rather self serving point of view.

Looking at it a second way: All the above is still true, and it is still frustrating, but guess what? creating a high expense, large team, innovative game is probably quite frustrating process rife with setbacks. I would wager this is why many companies do not put forth the level of transparency that SOE has been so kind to give.

When you have a significant group of the development team, not even PR, but coders, designers, etc, interacting on an almost daily basis with the community inconsistencies in what is said will occur.

I think we vets have already enjoyed a very privileged experience. Likely, the reason the development has been so open is because this community of PS1 players existed in the first place, and they felt the need to share their progress. Unfortunately, the more they share and try to tell us about future developments, the more some people will display disappointment and anger when that information pipeline slows down, or things get moved around.

So lets just be happy that the game we have all chose to become extremely hyped and hopeful for is also one that has bred an incredibly outreaching development team. I would call that, and the eventual beta access privilege enough.

Last edited by Lythca Frost; 2012-07-15 at 02:34 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
A lot of you are missing the point (if not, you're not doing a good job of conveying that). Many people are frustrated because the devs have been telling us beta will be soon. For probably half a year or so, their statements have simply been wrong. To add to that, no one is certain how long this tech test will last. They have said 1-2 weeks, but they also said the beta would be within 1-2 weeks during E3. I simply cannot really trust their statements any longer.
It does seem they promised beta hard and fast while they had an audience. Of course, when they told the cameras Beta in a few weeks, open Beta a few a weeks after, and release only a few weeks AFTER that, i realized SOE has a loose definition of few weeks. To be fair, they never did explicitly promise 1-2 weeks, but it was still a little irritating to not really know a real time line.

I'm willing to deal with it, as I've never been excited enough about a game to sign up for Beta before. So far, it sounds like this is par for the course on Beta drama.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-15 at 02:39 AM.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
MockZero2
Private

A lot of you are missing the point (if not, you're not doing a good job of conveying that). Many people are frustrated because the devs have been telling us beta will be soon. For probably half a year or so, their statements have simply been wrong. To add to that, no one is certain how long this tech test will last. They have said 1-2 weeks, but they also said the beta would be within 1-2 weeks during E3. I simply cannot really trust their statements any longer. I, as well as other users, have the right to be upset because we are being mislead and, quite literally, lied to.

However, if you did not get into the tech test for whatever reason and are upset about that, you should certainly get over it.

So the point of my post? Stop saying EVERYONE that is complaining is self-entitled or what else.

Come on man! These guys have given us 10x more data and interaction then any other dev team I know of. With all of this great interaction almost every other question they got was "When is beta!!!!". They put up with that and never gave us a date because of people like you.

I am so happy these guys are taking the time to make this game epic and use it's full potential! Have some patience and it is going to rewarded with the best game ever made!
Old 2012-07-15, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
Enzo
Private

Way to be over-dramatic. They have never given a hard date for beta simply because there are unforeseen things that can happen like bugs or server problems. I'm pretty sure they said "Within the next few weeks after E3" and it's been about 5 weeks so I wouldn't really call it that much of a stretch.

I'm sorry that you are butt hurt about not getting into the first wave of beta but your sense of entitlement for a game that you haven't paid a dime for is a little ridiculous.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
Dalmaska
Private

Misc Info

i am probably fueling this fire. but something is kind of bothering me. so we are all hyped about this beta and then we get told one thing... then another... and another... and another... and then this tech test is taking too long... and then people are upset with this only be a US based tech test... what i dont get is why you are all upset over a beta invite and not looking at the positive points we have. like this game is still alive and still will be released. its not like hey were testing and will release in 2 years or die like Warhammer 40k Dark Millennium Online. So what if i dont get into the beta or in the tech test. Its not the final product and guess what its not like we are paying for this. i am a PS1 vet and had gotten a code from PC Gamer Magazine and a code from FB. doesnt mean i deserve that spot or im going to get it for sure. im just happy this game is still under way and not being dropped because of conflicts or money issues.

just my two cents
Old 2012-07-15, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Dalmaska View Post
i am probably fueling this fire. but something is kind of bothering me. so we are all hyped about this beta and then we get told one thing... then another... and another... and another... and then this tech test is taking too long... and then people are upset with this only be a US based tech test... what i dont get is why you are all upset over a beta invite and not looking at the positive points we have. like this game is still alive and still will be released. its not like hey were testing and will release in 2 years or die like Warhammer 40k Dark Millennium Online. So what if i dont get into the beta or in the tech test. Its not the final product and guess what its not like we are paying for this. i am a PS1 vet and had gotten a code from PC Gamer Magazine and a code from FB. doesnt mean i deserve that spot or im going to get it for sure. im just happy this game is still under way and not being dropped because of conflicts or money issues.

just my two cents
Good Lord man! Don't jinx it!
Old 2012-07-15, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
FatherJack
Private

Okay, the PS2 devs get pestered daily,probably hourly with "when is beta going to start". They put up some dates they think it is going to happen and are not able to reach the targets due to bugs or other issues.

When I read things like the above I cant help but assume they have never worked in IT. I have been up until 2 in the morning, working on a build that was due to be released 4 hours later but cant due to a show stopper. I promise you that the system I work on is far more important than PS2, at least financially.

You make a target but sometimes it cannot be hit due to a variety of factors. Luckily the PS2 devs get the opportunity to push dates back then they come up against issues, it causes tears in forums such as this but ultimately it is better for the game.

In other words, suck it up.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

According to a smed tweet, there were EU, aussy, and a single japanese player in the test.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
According to a smed tweet, there were EU, aussy, and a single japanese player in the test.
I bet they counted TB as a EU player...

All good though im not worried. Its okey few weeks until beta.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
Cam
Contributor
Private

i did not get a invite but all that means i have more time to play Planetside before every one leaves to play PS2. So just relax and play planetside untill you can get into PS2.

Last edited by Cam; 2012-07-15 at 03:24 AM. Reason: misspelled "planetside"
Old 2012-07-15, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
Chufty
Contributor
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This unfortunately is a little inaccurate and based on the assumptions that none of those folks got in. As I've been saying for some time not everyone can get in at once. It just isnt possible. This will be moot soon enough I assure you.
RadarX, I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of the community when I say a big and sincere thank you to you and the rest of the team who have kept us, the community, at the forefront throughout the whole exciting development process. It's been astounding, and if other developers take a leaf out of your books then the whole industry will be better for it.

Just ignore the one or two spoilt little pricks who think they're entitled to it all.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Twitter :
John Smedley @j_smedley
Today's test was fun. We did get some Euro players as well as some Aussies and even someone from Japan!

Yeah we just have to wait, we waited that Long, it wont hurt us
Most of the People want to Play, but theres a Lot of Work on the to Do List of the Game, i beg

Well , lets wait and see, sometime we will Play / Test to.
Lets go easy on this

Maybe also interesting
John Smedley @j_smedley
We will let in some European players into this tech test but or goal is to have them playing on our euro server ASAP

Last edited by Rago; 2012-07-15 at 04:00 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion