News: PC Gamer April Issue with Beta Key - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a cup of tea
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-15, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Re: PC Gamer April Issue with Beta Key

Guys. Stop complaining about this priority bullshit.

They need a huge sample size of players to optimize this game for launch..more the better. Im 100000% fine with it.

Remember that game Rift? They had like a 6 month open beta..Anyone and their mom could get in. To date they have had the smoothest launch I have ever seen of ANY MMO PERIOD.

it was pretty well done job by Trion Worlds. So maybe they are taking a page from them?
Old 2012-02-15, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Guys. Stop complaining about this priority bullshit.

They need a huge sample size of players to optimize this game for launch..more the better. Im 100000% fine with it.

Remember that game Rift? They had like a 6 month open beta..Anyone and their mom could get in. To date they have had the smoothest launch I have ever seen of ANY MMO PERIOD.

it was pretty well done job by Trion Worlds. So maybe they are taking a page from them?
Agreed. I don't think the devs will forget veterans this time around either. e.g.: veteran merits (I still would not bet my house on it due to SOE past-mistakes)

Let's give them some slack, we'll see how beta goes...

btw Tiger, thanks for your efforts in getting more info about those keys.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-02-15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
You've got balls to talk about ego. You think that a PS1 player's opinion should be given more weight than the unwashed masses? That's the thought process I see here. A different feedback path? My God. You really think a lot of yourself. Self important dicks give forum communities a bad rap.

Everyone's feedback is equal. Because you played a decade old game has no bearing on your ability to properly test a new one. Your opinion matters exactly as much as everyone else who may spend money on PS2. They're doing you a favor and stroking your little ego by ensuring you get in along with everyone else. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake and you are no more qualified to test and give feedback than anyone else.

And that's coming from a PS1 vet, for the record.
My ego is always satisfied at all times, eventually you just get to that point. Work on it.

Anyone that thinks the old coordinated outfits coming back (DT, HT, etc, not going to list them all) are not going to completely dominate from day 1 is either a troll or delusional.

Aside from them already knowing PS1 inside-out, just being as tightly coordinated as the are guarantees that they'll learn more about the game and be able to find more bugs and address more balance/gameplay issues a lot faster than anyone else. Each already existing outfit is like a focus group in waiting.

Last edited by Espion; 2012-02-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
polywomple
Staff Sergeant

pretty sure higby is lolling at this thread right now
Old 2012-02-15, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

This thread defines "hot".

Also I'm still interested if the first beta phase is going to be "schedule" style or "full-time access" style.

Sidenote:
Are there any people from Canada here or people who can clarify, if Canadians have their own PCG or US PCG?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
Hydra
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Don't overdo it. Make us vets stand out too much in any way beyond just cosmetically, and that's just as bad as a pay-to-win strategy.

In all reality, I'm leaning more towards the all feedback is valuable attitude. If you're wanting to test the game properly and do a good job, then as a tester, all you have to do is give detailed and accurate reports of any problems you find, while a newer player may simply leave a sentce or just a few words about the problem. You feedback should be more valuable because you should be making it more valuable, not because you need a separate forum that SOE patrols more frequently to post it in.

This game needs to be a success. To me, having fun in this game will mean having lot of enemies, and the number of enemies is directly related to how popular the game is. That means the game has to be fun for everyone, not just us vets. That means that during beta, everyone has the same access, whether you played PS1 or whether you just got your key in cerial box.

I agree but there should be some sort of indication that a player was a veteran player, redesign outfit is probably pushing it, but never the less I'm just saying. But yes this game has to be successful and although I am not above elitism I do agree that putting aside precious egos is needed for constructive feedback. Alot of people I know don't even play Video games anymore and many old outfits are dead; Some people think that only veterans should get into Beta and if that's the case we are looking at what? 100 people? We need the new players but at the same time I feel original PS players deserve recognition.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
lol

the 20% thing was about the difference between a noob and a player that already maxed all of his cert trees - a ps2 veteran.
That's all you needed to say without the meaningless dribble.
Thank you for that clarification.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Gortha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by polywomple View Post
pretty sure higby is lolling at this thread right now
Why should he? Because we are argueing like little kids about how important Vets are compared to 0815 Guys?

INSTEAD of just beeing happy?

Well you may be right, but the little fear of eventually beeing cheated again by SOE is a fear old gamers have a right to. SOE did it several times in several games.

But now, let be hAPPY

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-02-15, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
You've got balls to talk about ego. You think that a PS1 player's opinion should be given more weight than the unwashed masses? That's the thought process I see here. A different feedback path? My God. You really think a lot of yourself. Self important dicks give forum communities a bad rap.

Everyone's feedback is equal. Because you played a decade old game has no bearing on your ability to properly test a new one. Your opinion matters exactly as much as everyone else who may spend money on PS2. They're doing you a favor and stroking your little ego by ensuring you get in along with everyone else. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake and you are no more qualified to test and give feedback than anyone else.

And that's coming from a PS1 vet, for the record.
This absolutely needed to be said. This community is great, but the sense of entitlement some people have here is really starting to get on my nerves.

For the record: Soe/the PS2 Dev team dont owe you ANYTHING. You paid for PS1, possibly for many years, fair enough. But you havent paid so much as a penny for PS2. You are entitled to nothing but what SOE chooses to give you. It sucks, but there you are
From a 'what we're owed' stand point I'd agree. I don't think anyone (worth listening to) is actually claiming we have some legal right to special treatment in PS2. On the other hand, in terms of ability to play test the game, and understand it's particulars, long time PS players certainly have insights which non-PS players likely do not. I'm not saying that every PS1-vet's feedback should outweigh any non-vet's feedback; rather I'm noting that there are many players from PS1 who have a great deal better understanding of how the only game like PS2 (i.e., PS1) works, than someone off the street. Also, long time vets have proven a devotion to the game which is important when considering a playtester's feedback. Many playtesters play the beta and never even buy the released game; these folks shouldn't be determining the style of the game for die-hard PS players who have proven a devotion to the PS franchise.

Yes, PS2 is going to be different from PS1; however, since the latter is largely based off the former, it's reasonable to assume there are going to be many overlapping areas. Therefore it is certainly reasonable to say that veteran PS1 players will have greater insight into how PS2 should be developed. I'd draw an equivalency to two CR5's arguing over how a fight should go in PS1; one who is a multi-year veteran CR5, and the other who just got his backpack. The older CR5 likely has a much greater understanding of how the fight will progress, and can foresee how certain events will unfold much better than the new CR5. I think that same idea can carry over to the new game, in that older vets can look at a situation and have a better idea how that situation will work out in the long run, as opposed to someone who has only played standard FPSes (or standard MMORPGs). Obviously, you get good players and bad in both cases; but I think on the whole, long time PS1 vets are more likely to provide insightful feedback.

All of that said; we don't really know what they're going to do until they tell us more, so we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited by Mightymouser; 2012-02-15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
This thread defines "hot".

Also I'm still interested if the first beta phase is going to be "schedule" style or "full-time access" style.

Sidenote:
Are there any people from Canada here or people who can clarify, if Canadians have their own PCG or US PCG?
I live right on the border to the states so I'll let you know if I can get my hands on it. Although it may just be luck since I do live so close.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-02-15 at 04:58 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

1000v1000v1000 is very big... If you take The total amount of PS1 players that subscribed (Peaked around 75k so assume 100k total subs) If everyone of those 100k get into beta (minus people who wont play being the people who didnt like the first one, who dont have that email, who dont have the time or better things to do, who think their computer isnt good enough or other various reasons) figure 50k will get into beta. Of those 50k how many are in different time-zones meaning different play times and peak hours? so if they want 1000v1000v1000 going at all times (maybe more) on different servers (or even the same server with different planets/conts), EDIT: (thought i put this in, but i apparently didnt) they would need more than that

Those too lazy to read the above paragraph read this:
In short... They need a lot of people, more than the orig planetside. so if they get 200k+ from PC Gamer, to provide MORE input, they would do it in a second.

One downside of Planetside1 was that they didnt advertise as much as they should have. So can we really complain that they are doing it for this game?

EDIT: **Disclaimer** This is all done in my head, i.e. no mathematical evidence to back it up. I would not expect you to believe it 100% (nor want you to) but merely consider it.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Last edited by Whoknowswhat1; 2012-02-15 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
I live right on the border to the states so I'll let you know if I can get my hands on it.
Nah the point is, I'm from Europe, but I have some relatives in Canada, so I was wondering if I can ask them to send me the issue.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Whoknowswhat1 View Post
1000v1000v1000 is very big...
It's somewhere around... what.. 3000?
Old 2012-02-15, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
It's somewhere around... what.. 3000?
That is the most recent theory concerning the number of players on a Cont/planet or in a certain KM radius.

Please re-read original post made some edits

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2012-02-15, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I'm glad to think that this is an indication of how close beta is.

A lot of people have a sense of entitlement and I can see how that would have come about. I felt the same way last year with the vague comments that were made regarding "planetside next".

But these things matter less now and soon won't matter at all.

Some of my top gaming experiences came from SOE and although it is all right to be wary of some statements, I give them credit for some of the best gaming experiences I've had.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
KALU
Master Sergeant

somehow i dont think the numbers will be that great all in one spot although it would be interesting. I will be happy with the numbers we had in PS1 i.e: 300x300x300 at peak
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion