Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I don't have ADD i just Oh look a bird...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Re: Vehicles enter/exit animations?

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
This post doesn't make any sense at all. If you were trying to make a point about something in the post you quoted, you failed.

Enter/exit animations were neat and they did prevent some of the cheesy gameplay mentioned in the OP. However, the choice was made to focus on more important things in order to finish the game. For now, we will have to deal.

Also, the whole 'ruins immersion' argument is ridiculous. Having features that enhance immersion is important but it is not as high of a priority as some of you make it out to be. It's way more important that guns feel right, or tanks sound right, than jamming in a load of crap for no reason other than adding immersion. "Look at the butterflies and how they flutter, they create immersion!"

This is a first person shooter, not a life sim. Try getting immersed in killing people.

ROFL. Quoted for truth sir. Well said.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
texico
Master Sergeant

Old 2012-03-19, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
#Sessionbasedthinking
I don't understand what you mean. Could you define session based thinking for me?
Old 2012-03-19, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't understand what you mean. Could you define session based thinking for me?
Only thing that matters is the individual. Only thing that matters is personal goals. Only thing that matters is individual advancement. No thought is given to the larger game aspects. Only thing that matters is the personal gratification. Reliance on others is a hindrance. Nothing matters beyond the next 30 minutes. Nothing matters beyond my K/D. I am a one man army.

TL;DR Boom Headshot.

Not really a bad thing, I occasionally just want to log in and frag people too, and to each his own. But is not very helpful in a team based game, where the focus should be larger than the individual.

It would stand to figure, in a thread about animations, people would discuss animations, this does not mean they hold it in higher priority than gun feel. It just means it also matters.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-03-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Only thing that matters is the individual. Only thing that matters is personal goals. Only thing that matters is individual advancement. No thought is given to the larger game aspects. Only thing that matters is the personal gratification. Reliance on others is a hindrance. Nothing matters beyond the next 30 minutes. Nothing matters beyond my K/D. I am a one man army.

TL;DR Boom Headshot.

Not really a bad thing, I occasionally just want to log in and frag people too, and to each his own. But is not very helpful in a team based game, where the focus should be larger than the individuial.
Absolutely none of this applies to vehicle enter/exit animations and/or my points about immersion.

#getoffyoursoapbox
Old 2012-03-19, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

It applies to your comment. Don't ask about things you don't want answers to.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-03-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Shogun
Contributor
General

the animations are not top priority, but they have to be added to complete the planetside feeling.

it would be enough to just have a little part of the team work on those after release, adding the animations in for one vehicle at a time, starting with the galaxys and sunderers. use a progress bar or vehicle startup sequence as temporary solution so the additions would not change balance.

the majority of the devteam could focus on other additions or bugfixes and sooner or later everyone is happy.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-19, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the animations are not top priority, but they have to be added to complete the planetside feeling.

it would be enough to just have a little part of the team work on those after release, adding the animations in for one vehicle at a time, starting with the galaxys and sunderers. use a progress bar or vehicle startup sequence as temporary solution so the additions would not change balance.

the majority of the devteam could focus on other additions or bugfixes and sooner or later everyone is happy.
I like this idea a lot.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Its one most of us that want the animations back in have been promoting. But I would also Waite another 6 months.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
I like this idea a lot.
seconded.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
Vancha
Colonel

This post doesn't make any sense at all. If you were trying to make a point about something in the post you quoted, you failed.
Well then it's good I followed it up with a paragraph to clarify then, eh?

The technical failures of aspects of PS1 has no baring on their suitability for PS2.

Also, the whole 'ruins immersion' argument is ridiculous. Having features that enhance immersion is important but it is not as high of a priority as some of you make it out to be. It's way more important that guns feel right, or tanks sound right, than jamming in a load of crap for no reason other than adding immersion. "Look at the butterflies and how they flutter, they create immersion!"
Pretty sure I agreed with that before you posted it.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
EVILoHOMER
Major

Vehicle animations are bad because they mean you're defenceless until it's over. In real life this doesn't happen, you can shoot and use the door as cover or whatever. Having no animation like BF games is the best compromise, it lets you defend yourself within game mechanics of today. I think more people would call for them to be gone if they get put in, only people that seem to want them is the PS veterans but I never thought they were a great part of the game, just got repetitive and boring.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Vehicle animations are bad because they mean you're defenceless until it's over.
That's the choice you make when you go out in a vehicle. If you screw up and take critical damage you shouldn't be able to instantly hop out and save yourself. It should take a few seconds. That kind of gameplay belongs in Unreal or Battlefield Heroes, not PS2.

In real life this doesn't happen
shut up

only people that seem to want them is the PS veterans but I never thought they were a great part of the game, just got repetitive and boring.
It serves a purpose. It isn't just a pretty animation. Instantly getting in and out of vehicles during combat is looks and plays cheesy and poorly done.

I run around with the T-90 tank in BF3 every chance I get, and you know what I do when I get flanked by a support guy planting C4 on me? I instantly jump out and waste the guy. I do the same if I'm about to die as well.

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM

Last edited by ArcIyte; 2012-03-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Vehicle animations are bad because they mean you're defenceless until it's over. In real life this doesn't happen, you can shoot and use the door as cover or whatever.
What vehicle are you thinking of? That might apply to a Sunderer, but otherwise...

"In real life", if someone's within reasonable shooting distance, you probably aren't going to try climbing into a jet or up a tank.

This is assuming the boarding animations don't make you invincible of course, as it did in PS1.
Old 2012-03-19, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
This is assuming the boarding animations don't make you invincible of course, as it did in PS1.

9 out of 10 cloakers swears at it.

And the 10th is a nub.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion