3D spotting - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu : killing you over and over again...because we care.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you want your spotting?
Full - 3D spotting and on the minimap 75 18.84%
Partial -2D spots on the minimap only 148 37.19%
None 62 15.58%
Static markers only that do not follow the spotted enemy 94 23.62%
Other 19 4.77%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-04, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: 3D spotting

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Somehow I doubt the fact that PlanetSide, unlike other FPS games, has a full night cycle has been considered by all here.

I'm not a fan of 3D spotting either, but I do wonder how we're going to use night spotting effectively if it's 2D.
I've considered that, oh yes, and 3D spotting would ruin night fighting. Surely you're not suggesting that we need 3D spotting to offset night? The answer is simple - if no one can see people at night to farm kills, they should play the objectives.

Of course, that's the same as in the daytime. Don't expect 3D spotting to show people enemies, if you play the objectives, you'll find them.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I've considered that, oh yes, and 3D spotting would ruin night fighting. Surely you're not suggesting that we need 3D spotting to offset night? The answer is simple - if no one can see people at night to farm kills, they should play the objectives.

Of course, that's the same as in the daytime. Don't expect 3D spotting to show people enemies, if you play the objectives, you'll find them.
Well keep in mind not everybody is going to have thermal vision at night and so if you spot an Infil sneaking up in the dark on a friendly tank with C4 (and go aside for a moment here to point out that I *hate* that it's still called C4 700 years in the future) you should be able to somewhat effectively spot that Infil for your teammates.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-04, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Stardouser
Colonel

Well keep in mind not everybody is going to have thermal vision at night and so if you spot an Infil sneaking up in the dark on a friendly tank with C4 (and go aside for a moment here to point out that I *hate* that it's still called C4 700 years in the future) you should be able to somewhat effectively spot that Infil for your teammates.
2D spotting is more than effective for that. This is where your tank's secondary gunner comes into play, he should be able to see it on the minimap and react. 3D spotting in that situation is just a wallhack...or, darknesshack, as it were.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
2D spotting is more than effective for that. This is where your tank's secondary gunner comes into play, he should be able to see it on the minimap and react. 3D spotting in that situation is just a wallhack...or, darknesshack, as it were.
I guess this is going to be one of those "I'll wait until Beta to decide" things for me.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-04, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
Stardouser
Colonel

I guess this is going to be one of those "I'll wait until Beta to decide" things for me.
I've experienced this in BF3 and BC2 over the past few years. It's bad, it robs from the skilled and gives to the unskilled. And PS2, with its larger scale, will make it worse - though to be sure, not ALL PS2 battles will be 500 people. Sometimes there will be smaller scale battles, and it will kill stealth and use of cover.

But what are you expecting beta to show? That people need or don't need aiming aids like 3D spotting? 3D spotting is..."balanced", because all sides can do it. But that doesn't change the fact that it removes skill from the equation, we don't need beta to know this.

The question is why would SOE even entertain using it? Because people with lesser skill need to be catered to? Or people who don't use VOIP or who don't care to learn to use the minimap? And SOE probably thinks that opposition to 3D spotting is limited to this forum. It isn't. We've been resisting it in BF since it came out in BC2.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I hadn't thought of Static spotting before, it's a pretty decent idea- making the spot follow a player always felt way too overpowered and unrealistic, but a static spot would basically say: "Watch your step, just 4 seconds ago someone passed by this exact location". Makes a lot more sense to me.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Azovyr
Private

I voted other. I feel 3D spotting is OK if it's done right which is usually isn't in games. What I mean by that is no spamming the key to find enemies near your crosshair and having spotted markers appearing on your hud ONLY when you have at least partial line of sight on the spotted enemy. The marker should also be lost if the spotter loses line of sight on his target too. This way it's not a wallhack or overpowered, just a slight aid for teamwork.

Edit: on second thought this would be an absolute coding and performance nightmare so probably the static marker option is the best idea.

Last edited by Azovyr; 2012-07-04 at 04:40 PM.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

The static marker option is the only one that makes sense. Planting a tracking beacon on someone at the press of a button is dumb as hell.
Old 2012-07-04, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
fod
Master Sergeant

no 3d spotting
anything else but 3d spotting

3d spotting destroyed the "fun" in the battlefield series and imo it has no place in an FPS

not ALL new ideas in recent games are good - this is one id like to "kill it with fire"
Old 2012-07-04, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Bags
Lieutenant General

Doesn't planetside 1 have 3D spotting, essentially? Pretty sure almost everyone has enhanced targetting right?
Old 2012-07-04, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Doesn't planetside 1 have 3D spotting, essentially? Pretty sure almost everyone has enhanced targetting right?
enhanced targetting only shows the the single player you are currently looking to YOURSELF

3d spotting in every game it has been in that i have played spots MULTIPLE people even when you are not looking directly at them and it spots it for ALL people on your team so EVERYONE can see exactly what you spotted once you hit the "q" button
it also follows them around while you are not looking at them
its horrible
ps1's system is good - 3d spotting is bad
Old 2012-07-04, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by fod View Post
enhanced targetting only shows the the single player you are currently looking to YOURSELF

3d spotting in every game it has been in that i have played spots MULTIPLE people even when you are not looking directly at them and it spots it for ALL people on your team so EVERYONE can see exactly what you spotted once you hit the "q" button
it also follows them around while you are not looking at them
its horrible
ps1's system is good - 3d spotting is bad
I dunno, I see tons of people's names floating around and health bars while in a squad.
Old 2012-07-04, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I dunno, I see tons of people's names floating around and health bars while in a squad.
thats because you are looking directly at them
can you see people names when they are not in line of sight? can you see the names of the enemy that are spawning in spawn room in a main base from a tower a fair distance away
cause i sure cant with enhanced targeting (im a vehicle whore so i use enhanced targeting)

have you played BF3? because the 3d spotting in battlefield is nothing like enhanced targeting you pretty much know where the enemy is at all times in bf3 - its horrible

i agree with a ps1 style implementation but i dont want people to know exactly where i am at all times just because someone on the other team hit the q button while looking at my general direction
Old 2012-07-04, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
Stardouser
Colonel

thats because you are looking directly at them
can you see people names when they are not in line of sight? can you see the names of the enemy that are spawning in spawn room in a main base from a tower a fair distance away
cause i sure cant with enhanced targeting (im a vehicle whore so i use enhanced targeting)

have you played BF3? because the 3d spotting in battlefield is nothing like enhanced targeting you pretty much know where the enemy is at all times in bf3 - its horrible

i agree with a ps1 style implementation but i dont want people to know exactly where i am at all times just because someone on the other team hit the q button while looking at my general direction
This. I think it will ruin both large battles and small, and flanking actions, etc.

And hiding it behind a cert doesn't solve anything.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Accuser
Sergeant Major

no 3d spotting
anything else but 3d spotting

3d spotting destroyed the "fun" in the battlefield series and imo it has no place in an FPS

not ALL new ideas in recent games are good - this is one id like to "kill it with fire"
Indeed. In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, you could enter a hardcore match (no 3d spotting), set up in a ghillie suit and be nearly invisible. I'm pretty sure people are going to just run around spamming 'Q' to spot infiltrators in PS3 if 3d spotting goes live...

Hate it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion