News: PC Gamer April Issue with Beta Key - Page 16 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What gets NC guts off your bumper?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-15, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #226
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info
Re: PC Gamer April Issue with Beta Key

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We are very glad to see everyone so excited about the PC Gamer cover and Beta keys.
Extreme understatement. I'm about to get sent to the hospital due to extreme hysteria.

I'm seeing a lot of speculation and rumor flying around in this thread.
some speculation isnt good... be sure to direct us in if we get down the wrong alley

Danicia has cleared up everything we'll be able to at the moment. We will of course provide more information as it becomes available.
Quote(s) from facebook:
"Bradford Smith [ME]: Danicia, if could, i would kiss you right now what great news"

"Well, better me than RadarX, right? [Danicia]"

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2012-02-15, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #227
jakaul
Sergeant

I have two main points and a side thing...

First, there are some very good reasons to give priority to current (and former) players of PS1. Foremost, you have very dedicated, excited, and willing beta testers. These are going to be people that are playing the game with the intent to continue playing it once it releases, which means they are far more likely to do in depth testing and analysis of the current game state. They will likely provide much better and more thorough feedback to the developers because they actually care about the game. I've beta tested quite a few games and the ones I didn't care about were played for a few weeks and dropped when I figured out I wasn't going to invest in the game. I never provided feedback; the beta test was simply a "demo" for me to see if I'd play it when it released. Having a mobilized and enthusiastic community already waiting to test your game is invaluable.

With that being said, it is also important for there to be outside perspective when it comes to a new game simply because it's a new game. It won't play like PS1 and the people used to PS1 may not be willing to comprehend that. The game will require a very large population of players, so you're going to need to sustain way more than those of us that have stuck with PS1 for years and years. There are going to be changes we won't like that appeal to the masses, which isn't necessarily a horrible thing...but it's important for the health of the final product.

Now who gets priority? In my opinion, your current and former fanbase will provide you with far better testing than random people from a magazine (a LARGE portion of which may not even like FPS games). They're motivated and mobilized already, just waiting to be let in. It makes sense, in my opinion. From a *loyalty* point, I'd personally be pretty pissed if PS1 vets got left out, but I'm also a firm believer in companies being loyal to their customers, especially if it actually HELPS the company. Doesn't really hurt them to give us all the invites, but it damn well would hurt them not to - to put it this way, nobody in the world is going to buy PS2 because they didn't invite PS1 vets...but I'm willing to bet a number of PS1 vets would flip the middle finger to PS2 if they were excluded. Right or wrong, that's what I think reality is.

My second point is even better. Mouser is a god amongst men. Feel fortunate he graced you with his words and presence.

And wasn't FireFly from BWC?
Old 2012-02-15, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #228
joemonkey
Private

Originally Posted by Whoknowswhat1 View Post
300 cubed meaning 300x300x300 instead of 300v300v300. i thought it was a sick way of saying it lol.
Actually it was nifty, just being a dick
Old 2012-02-15, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #229
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
Is. Not was.

As far as your point about loyalty, I'm in full agreement. My issue is with stupidity and ignorance, along with willful refusal to read the thread, and this retarded insistence that magazine readers are getting in before PS veterans, when it's been stated for a year starting with Smedley's posts last year that original subscribers got priority all the way to two SOE people saying PS subscribers are being taken care of.

I do worry about a significant portion of Planetside players skewing the feedback, something like "OMFG THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS IN PS!" or anything of a similar vein. But it's just a worry - we'll see what happens when beta finally hits.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #230
Akemo
Corporal

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Joking aside, there will be tons of keys for vets. They will be their main source for improvement ad balance ideas, and testing various game tactics. They cant expect someone who is new to game to understand it fast and start doing some organized stuff. Random betatesters will be there to test FPS part of game. Vets will be there to test planedside part.
BAM!

"What was that?"

"That, my boy, was the sound of knowledge being dropped on your ass."
Old 2012-02-15, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #231
joemonkey
Private

I have two main points and a side thing...
Its already sorted - PS vets, Fanfaire 2011 folks, and PC Gamer April edition owners are going to be taken care of when it comes to beta. And to the topic at hand, I personally have no problem with them GETTING A MAGAZINE COVER AND ADVERTISING THE GAME and getting more folks to play the game. Worst case scenario, you have a fuckton of folks to slaughter in beta, that sounds horrible I know, but trust me it will be funner that way.

Firefly IS BWC

Last edited by joemonkey; 2012-02-15 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #232
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Is. Not was.

As far as your point about loyalty, I'm in full agreement. My issue is with stupidity and ignorance, along with willful refusal to read the thread, and this retarded insistence that magazine readers are getting in before PS veterans, when it's been stated for a year starting with Smedley's posts last year that original subscribers got priority all the way to two SOE people saying PS subscribers are being taken care of.

I do worry about a significant portion of Planetside players skewing the feedback, something like "OMFG THIS IS NOT HOW IT WAS IN PS!" or anything of a similar vein. But it's just a worry - we'll see what happens when beta finally hits.
I'd counter the "stupidity and ignorance" thing with two thoughts - passion for the game and the history of SOE's "promises". Nothing against the PS2 crew, they've gone above and beyond with their twitter feeds and communication to the community. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a development group that in tune with customers. It's refreshing.

But I don't blame anyone for questioning SOE and whether their statements hold up. They haven't in the past. Trust is a fickle beast.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #233
General M
Corporal

Being a killjoy here but I'm a bit sceptical that there won't be an EU beta (i.e pointless getting a code/magazine from US). Obviously there's plenty of time for them to announce something different but I haven't seen anything suggesting there will be (nothing saying there won't be either though :P).
Old 2012-02-15, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #234
jakaul
Sergeant

Originally Posted by joemonkey View Post
Firefly IS BWC
Yeah, I had a hunch lol.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #235
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I am so Excited...I just can't hide it!!!! lol. This news has made my day.

Old 2012-02-15, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #236
Hydra
Sergeant

Is. Not was.

I just wanted to say quickly since I will not be posting in these forums for long is that you are one of my favorite posters after all these years of lurking. You haven't change and I like the fact you don't sugarcoat things either. These generation of people have a hard time thinking before they talk and responding before they read. Its a shame that I couldn't find people like you during the time I was searching for a suitable "online family". I know I'm probably the minority here but I hope players that aren't in outfits don't miss out on the vast experiences PS2 is sure to deliver. I just have a problem trusting SOE.

Last edited by Hydra; 2012-02-15 at 05:56 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #237
KALU
Master Sergeant

I think beta will be as it was in PS1 - global.

Us Aussies got in on the first wave from memory i would "assume" the same thing will happen.
Old 2012-02-15, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #238
Akemo
Corporal

Originally Posted by ShazMyBot View Post
Glad I haven't used any of my sick time this year. I think I feel a gasto-intestinal virus coming in the next few weeks.
You've got an amazing sense for these things... picking up on a coming virus weeks before you actually get "sick" - incredible! You're a true hero sir!
Old 2012-02-15, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #239
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Is. Not was.

This explain a lot. I was once mass appealed by this outfit because a double gal drop of theirs got damage by my mines/spits, then died instantly to an cavelocked/painmodded/boosted spawn room after they got inside (like 20 kills in 5s), awarding all the kills to me in the killspam.

Many lols were had by all (but mostly just me)

I would also like to take this time to acknowledge the accuracy of my initial post: (edited for empire of course)

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
I know you were probably just some greybie running around with thumper jammer packs in your max loadout (just in case!)

Last edited by Espion; 2012-02-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2012-02-15, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #240
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

the history of SOE's "promises" [...] But I don't blame anyone for questioning SOE and whether their statements hold up. They haven't in the past. Trust is a fickle beast.
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I just have a problem trusting SOE.
I'm among the camp that severely distrusts SOE. I was an open and vocal critic of John Smedley back in 2009-ish when he was saying he loved Planetside. I felt, at the time, that there was no way this could be true considering how poorly they treated the game. As I got to know him through his intimate interactions with the PSU community, I decided not to troll him like others were but to give him a chance. And when I heard about Planetside:Next, I was suspicious and distrustful. But one cannot very well attempt to enjoy a game whilst waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Regardless of how we've all seen SOE fuck up a game, at the end of the day those are largely going to be corporate decisions. I've been on both sides of a video game - as a player, and as a developer. I also understand that these people, Higby and T-ray and even CSR-DanB, these are human beings who are working on a game as their chosen profession. They're putting their heart and soul into the game. They are busting their ass to bring us, and the world, something that is damn near revolutionary.

I'm not an advocate of blind faith. But I'm an advocate of good faith and the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to let my bitter experiences and my disappointment and rage cloud the overall goals: enjoying myself and enjoying Planetside 2.

Hydra, as for your other statements: you're welcome to join our online community.

Yeah, I had a hunch lol.
Do I know you?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion