News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look out! You're boss is right behind you!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-21, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
Mirror
First Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
Hi Radar

Thanks for posting please find below some feedback minus the insults which I hope is clear and kind of constructive.

In 2009 SOE took the decision to merge its existing Planetside servers into a single server Gemini. This brought together the existing global Planetside base into a single environment in which loyal paying customer created new bonds and continued to play the game they loved despite any significant content updates. In effect this has created a global private members club in which people pay to play with friends and a lot of time nostalgia. The global players of this club have been the games greatest advocates and some of the hype around Planetside 2 can be directly attributed to this worldwide community prior to any major push from SOE. This may have been an unforeseen consequence, but it is a direct effect of the business decision to merge the servers. SOE you have created this community and in the main this community has support you by remaining subscribed to a zombie MMO Planetside 1.

We now receive the news that this “club” which was inadvertently created by SOE is now going to be disbanded and removed due to a change in the business model and a sharing of risk with a European partner. Great business decision for SOE and I fully understand why it is attractive. This does however have a considerable impact on your most loyal players and the ones who stuck with you despite no real support. In effect you have alienated your European player base and split your existing community. (It has not been confirmed about the I.P banning or not being able to play in the US but with out a formal statement from SOE i am airing on the side of caution)

Personally I do not feel as a paying customer to PS1 this is great customer service and if I would have known this 6 months ago I would have questioned keeping my subscription open. (back drop of account hacks possible personal data loss ect...)

A second and more interesting slant to what is unfolding is the question if the European servers are run by a separate company what would the impact be on access for Europeans to the Planetside 2 Beta?

We have been told time and time again that us PS1 players would be looked after as the game has been hyped and SOE has solicited the community. I am a subscribing player and still play PS1 I would hope I fall into this category. If this is not the case then, then that certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth and with out meaning to sound over emotional discriminated against should other members of the private members club you created get to play.

A bit of a PR cock up at the moment but I am sure a formal statement will go a long way to counter act any irrational fears which may be surfacing in the community.

I do understand that there are winners and losers in any business decision. However burning advocates of the Planetside brand in such away does not seem overly smart. The adage no publicity is bad publicity is not strictly true in the digital age.
this needs to go to soe.

great job.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-21, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Knocky
Major

I imagine others more eloquent then I probably made more lugubrious posts than I could.

So I will simple say I am opposed to restriction on the world wide web.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
I imagine others more eloquent then I probably made more lugubrious posts than I could.

So I will simple say I am opposed to restriction on the world wide web.
You lazy person!

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
Knocky
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You lazy person!
I just ate dinner....I am so lethargic right now I am thinking about crawling into bed....but who would make my White Russian if I did?
Old 2012-02-21, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

On a note somehow related:

Does this mean SOE is still responsible for patches or we can expect different patches for different regions, like NCsoft and other companies do?

Because if the second scenario is in place, than even VPN won't help...

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
SgtMAD
Captain

anyone that has played any SOE game for as long as PS has been around knows SOE is going to screw it all up,its what they do best.

I told ya this was going to happen when I read the press release about the merger deal.

you have to realize SOE doesn't care what we have to say,they are looking for a market far larger than anything PS ever saw,even in its Hey Day and if you think a couple of hundred ppl are going to change anything SOE is doing then you haven't done the math,if this game draws in every old PS player and doesn't add a couple of hundred thousand new players then it is a failure.

Last edited by SgtMAD; 2012-02-21 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
Hamma
PSU Admin

Agreed on Nephilimuk - excellent feedback and post!!
Originally Posted by polywomple View Post
lol

ahhh irony

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Then without trying to troll or offend you, you aren't doing it right.

You can make anything, well .. anything. It just takes time if it's intricate.

Shit here I go, better do it before I start drinking...

bare with me as this is as simplistic as I can make it.

DNS - domain naming server
With this you get a name (usually almost always numbers, but i can be alpha numeric on some systems, not windows though) from a domain server, simple enough right?

IP - internet protocol
with this you get an address from the protocol identifying who you are.

WINS - windows internet naming server
this is a bit complicated, but it gives tons of options on a 2003 /2008 windows server.

If it gets half assed intricate you will need to learn to modify wins, but i doubt it will go anywhere near that far.

SO. DNS gives you your name. You get your DNS from? Your internet provider.
SO. IP gives you your address, where you live. You get IP from? Your internet provider.

SO. when you do any lookup at all except for machine name, you look up their address, you want to know where they live, so you look up there IP. NOW.

If you change your domain naming servers, when SOE says "hey mother fucker, where is you fool" the IP protocol then looks at the domain naming server, and says "fool im in china" ...........

Does that make sense? It's actually quite easy when you learn the terminology if you break it down from the start.. I had a great teacher.
Duke - with all due respect the system does not rely totally on DNS and it MOST CERTAINLY does not have anything to do with WINS.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
ThGlump
Captain

Does this mean SOE is still responsible for patches or we can expect different patches for different regions, like NCsoft and other companies do?

Well then just patch over VPN. Patches will be probably different. EU version will have more localizations, and probably need to be changed to connect to different account system.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

The FAQ states that SOE will still control the servers and that patches "should" be at the same time "however timezones and local issues may cause slight delays" lets face it in SOE world a slight delay could be months.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #250
dsi
Staff Sergeant

This helps cement my lack of hope for Planetside 2.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #251
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Well then just patch over VPN. Patches will be probably different. EU version will have more localizations, and probably need to be changed to connect to different account system.
I imagine a seriously fucked up registry on my PC if that's true ...

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
The FAQ states that SOE will still control the servers and that patches "should" be at the same time "however timezones and local issues may cause slight delays" lets face it in SOE world a slight delay could be months.
Well, delay can only be on publisher's behalf, so we'll see.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-02-21 at 06:42 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Then without trying to troll or offend you, you aren't doing it right.

You can make anything, well .. anything. It just takes time if it's intricate.

Shit here I go, better do it before I start drinking...

bare with me as this is as simplistic as I can make it.

DNS - domain naming server
With this you get a name (usually almost always numbers, but i can be alpha numeric on some systems, not windows though) from a domain server, simple enough right?

IP - internet protocol
with this you get an address from the protocol identifying who you are.

WINS - windows internet naming server
this is a bit complicated, but it gives tons of options on a 2003 /2008 windows server.

If it gets half assed intricate you will need to learn to modify wins, but i doubt it will go anywhere near that far.

SO. DNS gives you your name. You get your DNS from? Your internet provider.
SO. IP gives you your address, where you live. You get IP from? Your internet provider.

SO. when you do any lookup at all except for machine name, you look up their address, you want to know where they live, so you look up there IP. NOW.

If you change your domain naming servers, when SOE says "hey mother fucker, who is you fool" the IP protocol then looks at the domain naming server, and says "fool im in china" ...........

Does that make sense? It's actually quite easy when you learn the terminology if you break it down from the start.. I had a great teacher.
Geo-IP has nothing to do with DNS. Basically IPs are given out in blocks, and these blocks are given out to ISPs, and then registered as to which ISP they belong to, and in which country they reside. For this you don't need Geo-IP, though, just a ping using the WHOIS protocol.

Geo-IP is a technology with which a number of companies maintain a database with exact locations of connections. They get these by paying ISPs. This means they don't have all of them, but using the WHOIS protocol, they do always have the country.

DNS itself does not have location information at all. They can just happen to have a TLD that is maintained by a certain country.

http://www.ip-address.org/tracer/ip-whois.php
http://www.geoiptool.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

I'm sorry, I studies this in the Dutch equivalent of High School.

At any rate, I still really hope that SOE will rethink the blocking of Europeans to their game servers. There are better ways to achieve whatever you need than blocking people. But that is a lesson media conglomerates don't seem to want to learn. Especially big media companies in Hollywood seem to be dead against it, which is why we have piracy now.

Last edited by Lunarchild; 2012-02-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2012-02-21, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
Geo-IP has nothing to do with DNS. Basically IPs are given out in blocks, and these blocks are given out to ISPs, and then registered as to which ISP they belong to, and in which country they reside. For this you don't need Geo-IP, though, just a ping using the WHOIS protocol.

Geo-IP is a technology with which a number of companies maintain a database with exact locations of connections. They get these by paying ISPs. This means they don't have all of them, but using the WHOIS protocol, they do always have the country.

DNS itself does not have location information at all. They can just happen to have a TLD that is maintained by a certain country.

http://www.ip-address.org/tracer/ip-whois.php
http://www.geoiptool.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

I'm sorry, I studies this in the Dutch equivalent of High School.

At any rate, I still really hope that SOE will rethink the blocking of Europeans to their game servers. There are better ways to achieve whatever you need than blocking people. But that is a lesson media conglomerates don't seem to want to learn. Especially big media companies in Hollywood seem to be dead against it, which is why we have piracy now.
Lunar saved me the trouble.

Anyway - please lets get back on topic. Those of you who provided constructive feedback please continue to do so!

Please keep this thread on topic - this means no more debate about Proxies and bypassing IP blocking.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-21, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
XPquant
Sergeant

Segregating the player base is a recipe for disaster. Let me play with my friends!
Old 2012-02-21, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #255
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

Well I have done really all I can do, voice my concern and disagreement where they told us to. The rest is up to them.

Let's hope we aren't disappointed.

Sad day for online gaming.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion