harrasser proves dedicated driver is great - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where fear of lakes is a very real thing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-07, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #241
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: harrasser proves dedicated driver is great

Think ATV fixed forward.
Old 2013-05-07, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #242
Figment
Lieutenant General

Canaris look at those concepts carefully.

Balljoints and quad tracks. :P

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
of course repair times matter, are you trying to say surviability, vehicle endurance, longer engagement times and shorter downtime for the vehicle don't matter? I agree repair times are short overall but so is TTK.
That's the whole problem: they're far too short to be distinguishable reasons. They hardly keep a player out of a fight if they have to repair, in fact, the reason it keeps them out is because they only have to repair frequently due to being glass cannons, but not for a continuous long period of time, so you get little time to make real tactical use of that downtime anyway. Which is sad. Besides, I'd rather be long repair times is a bad point for crewed tanks, since then it'd be less soloable and not as camp-prone.

It's like the hacking speed upgrade. 50% hacking speed increase? Who would invest in that if the time gain is a few fractions of a second while it's never vital to have that bit more speed? I mean in PS1 it would, but in PS2, CCs don't need hacking and equipment and vehicle terms give away your presence anyway if you hack them so going back to cloak isn't really a reason either.

that's a whole other can of worms right there
Indeed it is. Scouting device gets limits too. :/ Why not ammo packs, glue guns, engi turrets, engi glue, medic glue? >.>

Even Captain Kirk runs out of photon torpedoes and inverted tractor beams now and then! D:

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-07 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2013-05-07, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
Canaris
Contributor
General

oh and a fixed gun on a non-strafing vehicle in a game like Planetside 2... I can already hear the screams of frustration from here. Not a good idea tbbh < extra b is for brutally.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-07, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Canaris look at those concepts carefully.

Balljoints and quad tracks. :P
everyone knows strafing vehicles is Vanu black magic

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-07, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
some people just don´t get it, figment. you are talking to a wall here.

seems like the egoistic mbt solo users don´t want to understand your point because it would affect their playstyle. and every reasoning is in vain because of that.

no matter how often and good you try to proove your point, you are going to be trolled hard for it again and again.
that´s very sad!
Figgy, how does it feel to have your own personal cheerleader?
Old 2013-05-07, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

So much selfishness in this thread. Solo MBTs need to go. The Lightning is a fine tank for soloing.

Old 2013-05-07, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

I think it's interesting that people are so obsessed with poisoning the well on this forum.

Like, what is it about being a human that makes us want to immediately assume that someone has ulterior motives whenever they disagree with us.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
So much selfishness in this thread. Solo MBTs need to go. The Lightning is a fine tank for soloing.
I'm not selfish and I don't think solo MBT's need to go. In fact, they need to stay.

There is nothing wrong with them.

If anything, the people who think that their way is best and that there is no compromise are the selfish people. There is a compromise, this is why you aren't a game designer I guess. Do I know what it should be? Nope, I'm not going to waste my time and pretend to.

The lightning is indeed a great tank for soloing, but so are the Vanguard, Prowler and Magrider. I think the Harasser is great fun, but I still enjoy my Vanguard INFINITELY more because I can do exactly what I want without having to worry about what my gunner/driver is doing.

I guess that's selfish? Playing how I want? Again: I think there is room for compromise, the majority of people in this thread don't. Doesn't make me right, but it definitely doesn't make me selfish. That only applies to you.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Well here is what I came up with...

Tachikoma style leg-wheels.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #250
AThreatToYou
Major

If you put a nice, fat AV gun on the Flash and gave it a forward armor plate so you couldn't shoot the driver off or 1HK the vehicle with AV weaponry, you'd have a TD. The rumble-seater would have an important role...

TDs, historically, have not been designed on their own chassis. They are usually conversions from other models and can vary from gigantic to tiny, with the smaller ones being more successful. In the modern era, with lightweight shoulder-mounded anti-vehicular weapons being readily available, a Flash rocket launcher that simply featured that empire's AV with a rapid reload time and increased ammo reserve would be TD enough.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-05-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2013-05-07, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #251
Figment
Lieutenant General

So basically a Fury ATV from PS1.

But that's the nimble kind of TD. Ambush, hold and push kind is heavily armoured up front, not so much on the sides and slower.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #252
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Opinion: 3 person MBTs would be great. The person who pulls the tank is the driver, the gunner and tertiary gunner would have command over each of their respective weapons. The Driver would either have the ability over some kind of utility ability that keeps the tank alive, a small coaxial gun, or something else that gives that position something to do, while the other two farm certs for the driver.

Fact: The Harasser is fun to drive. The harasser is fun to gun.

Opinion: The driving position for the MBT would not be miserable. Even if the person was charged JUST with driving, no weapon or ability granted, that would mean that, that person would have Plenty to do. Just like the driver of a harasser, being able to focus JUST on keeping your vehicle alive, is an intense experience. Being charged 100% with seeing that your vehicle stays live means you can examine the terrain, look for ways out of situations... Spacial awareness is Much greater in this case. Again, boosts teamplay and all that stuff... people have heard all this before.

Counter Argument: Saying that the driver would be bored is an assumption. If you have spent time as a dedicated pilot or driver, you know this is not true. Even driving a sunderer as a battle sundy, you get an idea for what it would be like, as a dedicated driver for an MBT: frantic. In a game with such low TTK you have to pay attention to Everything, or you could easily get wiped out.

Concession: While I would prefer a 3 person MBT, with some kind of utility granted to the driver for control that could mitigate damage or repair the vehicle through interaction... Having a 2 person tank, with the tertiary gun being controlled by the driver would be fine, as long as the primary gunner, was not also the driver.

Fact: You can shoot from a moving tank now, it's not that difficult.

Fact: People switch seats in liberators

Counter arguement: Switching seats in a liberator while it's in free fall and switching seats in a MBT would be totally different things. In the lib, you are moving, so you have the ability to still be missed if someone is a crap shot. Switching to gun, in a MBT with a dedicated driver, means you have officially graduated to Turret. And Turrets in PS2 are rather easy to kill. Totally different situations.
Old 2013-05-07, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #253
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

Actually I'd be fine being just a driver if there was some sort of hull mounted machine gun, that would be good methinks. It's just because tanks are so slow compared to the harasser, and the harasser is actually fun to drive.
Old 2013-05-07, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #254
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

If I was obnoxious and had time to waste in a futile effort, I would quote text I posted a year+ ago. But I don't so I'll just add another stone to this mountain:

Mobile armored combat is fun.
Immobile armored combat is not fun.

Yes, I'm biased in the way I have fun just like everyone is. That's why I always come back to saying a diverse gameplay ecosystem is very important to keep all crowds in the game. If everyone is having fun, there is more fun to have !

Make a very efficient game, leave no ecosystem for those who loved combat engineering, no room for those who loved stealth/infiltration gameplay, no vehicle for those who loved driving/tanking in a crew, etc... You will be left with a very specific kind of a crowd.

Mind you, it don't say it makes PS2 a bad FPS, it just makes a game some people are less/not interested in... But yet again I spend energy fighting windmills ! Why did Forumside/PSU have to be so addictive !

Maybe social factors are important for MMOs ?
Old 2013-05-07, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #255
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
Actually I'd be fine being just a driver if there was some sort of hull mounted machine gun, that would be good methinks. It's just because tanks are so slow compared to the harasser, and the harasser is actually fun to drive.
The Magrider does 50 kph, while doing 13kph sideways (iirc and afaik it adds up as a vector), the Vanguard does 55kph, the Prowler does 60.

All that WITHOUT the racer certs OR speed boost!

Maxed racer chassis does 70 on the Prowler. I'm sorry, but that's just 20kph less than a frickin' dune buggy!

IMO, it just sounds like you're crap drivers.

This doesn't warrant a dedicated driver because it'd be boring? Say what? That guy doesn't know where he's driving most the time and keeps bumping into things because he can't handle the speed!

You know why they ARE NOT FUN TO DRIVE? Because people like you... keep standing still and continuously have to start accelerating a heavy mass again, instead of using your momentum and keep rolling!

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-07 at 05:45 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion