Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 18 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I like turtles
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #256
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

10,000 views in 8 hours..that has to be a record.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #257
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Re: Clans invited to play beta early!

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Hooray entitlement.
Particularly when that entitlement is based on claims to outfit fame less glorious than some of the rest of us.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #258
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

OK moving on from beta hasn't actually started and First Platoon isn't actually a beta program. Got it. So wtf is it then?

Lets break down what Higby actually said.

First platoon isn't a beta invite, it's a forum for outfit / clan and community leaders to interact and give feedback to the dev team.
So focus group for dev feedback...ok....table that for now.

Beta hasn't started yet except for a few internal SOE teams. We will of course be starting beta small and expanding out once we can handle the load for each group, we'll be adding ps1 vets and priority beta key accounts first, as we've been pretty open about. There will be different phases, you may very well have a friend in beta when you aren't yet. This isn't an exclusivity thing. We have to ramp up like this rather than just inviting 50,000 people in one day and crashing the servers, learning nothing.
General statement about how beta will run - how they will have phases and ramp up and not let everyone in all at once. OK, makes sense.

Hope you all understand and appreciate that we want nothing more than to have all of you in the beta ASAP, but if we don't do it intelligently we'll just waste time, yours and ours, and delay our eventual release.
Reassuring statement that they know what they're doing. Fair enough, the beta plan makes sense to me.

OK, so throughout his entire statement he gave us a lot of info about how they will run the beta, but as to this whole First Platoon program - he only said one thing about it.

First platoon isn't a beta invite, it's a forum for outfit / clan and community leaders to interact and give feedback to the dev team.

I'm still perplexed as to what this thing is all about and how they chose their "community leaders", and why they're shutting out a lot of outfits, vets and community leaders around here from that discussion. They've formed up a club of elites for feedback and left most of us out of it. Feels like a second class citizen, not really a great feeling when you put a lot of heart and effort into a community and providing feedback. I think we have earned and are entitled to a better explanation.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #259
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
They're not testing, they're essentially a forum based focus group. And focus groups aren't very good.
No I know that.. I'm just saying, as that's what the discussion seems to revolve around.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #260
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
OK moving on from beta hasn't actually started and First Platoon isn't actually a beta program. Got it. So wtf is it then?

Lets break down what Higby actually said.

So focus group for dev feedback...ok....table that for now.

General statement about how beta will run - how they will have phases and ramp up and not let everyone in all at once. OK, makes sense.

Reassuring statement that they know what they're doing. Fair enough, the beta plan makes sense to me.

OK, so throughout his entire statement he gave us a lot of info about how they will run the beta, but as to this whole First Platoon program - he only said one thing about it.

I'm still perplexed as to what this thing is all about and how they chose their "community leaders", and why they're shutting out a lot of outfits, vets and community leaders around here from that discussion. They've formed up a club of elites for feedback and left most of us out of it. Feels like a second class citizen, not really a great feeling when you put a lot of heart and effort into a community and providing feedback. I think we have earned and are entitled to a better explanation.
Well said. I agree I'm confused as well how they chose these "leaders" lol
Old 2012-06-13, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #261
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

They've formed up a club of elites for feedback and left most of us out of it. Feels like a second class citizen, not really a great feeling when you put a lot of heart and effort into a community and providing feedback. I think we have earned and are entitled to a better explanation.
Not really.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #262
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Not really.
You might not be, but I am, and so are many others around here.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #263
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Obviously you aren't, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #264
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Would this be a good time to advertize that I've invented a machine which allows you to pimp-slap people over the internet?
Old 2012-06-13, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #265
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Can you explain what makes you believe that you deserve a better explanation than what boils down to, "we tried to get a variety of people with community involvement from across FPS games involved," please?

I ask because there's thousands of players who believe they have some claim to being in the elite.

Just as a quick Community Management example, if you exceed 250 people in a circle, it becomes less effective. So your ideal is to keep tight focus groups under 250 people.

How do you personally see reconciling every single person who thinks they are important enough to be in, just in PS alone, and then know that you want to be inclusive of people from other games?
Old 2012-06-13, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #266
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Obviously you aren't, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Zealot you're my hero
Old 2012-06-13, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #267
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

You obviously aren't if you weren't invited to the forums >.>

It's actually really simple, I don't think anyone was confused by the First Platoon thingy after Higby's explanation.

Anyways, this is good news because it means that Beta is moving right along! Huzzah
Old 2012-06-13, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #268
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Agreed. I am more than happy that they are doing this - Higby has explained why well, but calling those they have invited "elites" when it seems that PS's biggest outfits leaders and people that have spent many, many hours working on PS related sites over the years have not been invited does raise questions.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #269
Zulthus
Colonel

I'm kind of glad they are keeping the forums closed, it would just turn into a shitstorm like we regularly have on PSU now.
Old 2012-06-13, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #270
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Only issue with this is the fact that the very idea that feedback by these people is placed higher just through affiliation is a joke. Good testers come in all shapes and sizes just like real people. Oh well, at least this beta actually matters versus all the betas that are just to provide a demo to players.

Battlefield 3's beta was just to give players the chance to play, all the problems identified during beta were ignored(flashlight, ir scope, and suppression) until they finally changed them a year later after full release.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion