PlanetSide Next Reaver Exclusive - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I lost 30 pounds playing PlanetSide!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-02-17, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: PlanetSide Next Reaver Exclusive

I like that rotating gun idea that would be neat. Question is how useful would it be. Sitting around over a base rotating that cannon around and getting leveled by AA.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-18, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #272
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
That's kinda what I am expecting as well, except in reverse to be closer to what an actual helicopter set-up is, which would be the reverse of what you described.
I really don't want to correct you but because you felt the need to correct DviddLeff and earlier you busted out the I am a 10 year army vet , and in the hopes that out of frustration you break your keyboard i must The actual Boeing AH-64 Apache Longbow has the pilot in the back and the gunner in the front. The gunner actually fires both the rockets/Missiles and the 30mm chain gun so the pilot can concentrates on flying but they actually both have all the controls to do both if one becomes disabled one can do everything from ether seat.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

I like that rotating gun idea that would be neat. Question is how useful would it be. Sitting around over a base rotating that cannon around and getting leveled by AA.

They work really well but you wouldn't hover over a base for reasons you all ready stated, you hide behind things like trees and hills, its called a popup kill maneuver. Also the gun and the rockets if like the real thing should have great range using self stabilized mechanics and magnification infrared optics making it a stand off weapon usually engaging targets anywhere from 1500m as far as 4500m so roughly 1-4 miles away, the targets never hear it or see it coming just bam hit with a high explosive 30mm usually blowing apart infantry on proximity contact and doing light to medium damage to armored vehicles.

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2011-02-18 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old 2011-02-18, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #273
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I really don't want to correct you but because you felt the need to correct DviddLeff and earlier you busted out the I am a 10 year army vet , and in the hopes that out of frustration you break your keyboard i must The actual Boeing AH-64 Apache Longbow has the pilot in the back and the gunner in the front. The gunner actually fires both the rockets/Missiles and the 30mm chain gun so the pilot can concentrates on flying but they actually both have all the controls to do both if one becomes disabled one can do everything from ether seat.
Nice information, there. I never knew that about the Apache.

My fave helicopopter of all time, though was the Cheyenne.
Old 2011-02-18, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #274
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Here is some Apache 30mm gun cam videos, targets a mile out plus never knew what was coming.

Last edited by Livefire; 2011-02-18 at 12:49 AM.
Old 2011-02-18, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #275
Aractain
Major

That's kinda what I am expecting as well, except in reverse to be closer to what an actual helicopter set-up is, which would be the reverse of what you described.
Which isn't useful for a game. Partly lag, partly lack of communication mean dumb fire rockets are only useful from the pilots perspective while the cannon is very difficult to control while flying.

Lockon missiles works fine for the gunner or pilot but its usually best for gameplay that powerful weapons are for the gunner. BF2'sTV guided missiles were fun.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #276
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Livefire, you troll, how about troll my nuts a little. I said I was done with you. I'm not going to grace your idiotic troll post with a response because you, in the hopes of trying to feel like a real man again, completely misinterpreted what I said. Suffice it to say, you're wrong 99% of the time and once again, you completely missed the mark on just about all counts. What you said might be technically accurate, but if you'd ever bothered to talk to Apache pilots you might know how it actually works. Stop reading your Popular Mechanics from 11 years ago, and go outside and live life.

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
Which isn't useful for a game. Partly lag, partly lack of communication mean dumb fire rockets are only useful from the pilots perspective while the cannon is very difficult to control while flying.

Lockon missiles works fine for the gunner or pilot but its usually best for gameplay that powerful weapons are for the gunner. BF2'sTV guided missiles were fun.
Lock-ons are powerful, which is why I'd like to see chaff/ECM on aircraft.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I think apache helicopters are actually remote controlled. I know this to be true because I made it up.
No they aren't. They're a product of Melmac. They're flown by pointy-nosed furry aliens named Gordon Shumway.

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2011-02-18 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old 2011-02-18, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #277
Bags
Lieutenant General

No they aren't. They're a product of Melmac. They're flown by pointy-nosed furry aliens named Gordon Shumway.
Frankly, you're coming off as desperate with all these facts.

These helicopters fly with ceiling fans on their roofs. You can't explain that.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #278
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Frankly, you're coming off as desperate with all these facts.

These helicopters fly with ceiling fans on their roofs. You can't explain that.
To keep the planet from over heating?...... surreal
Old 2011-02-18, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #279
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

That's not a ceiling fan, you snaggle-toothed hambeast. That's a goddamned Dyson air multiplier. They put that on there to go stealth. Don't you know? Blades cause buffeting.

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
To keep the planet from over heating?...... surreal
Well that just totally took a giant shit on Livefail's global warming conspiracy theory. Prepare to be inundated with PMs telling you that you're brainwashed.

Old 2011-02-18, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #280
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Derailed thread warning! Stay on topic gentlemen (I use that term loosely)...

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2011-02-18, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #281
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

We're on topic, stop trying to derail us with pretty pictures of tragic events. Go back and read - we were discussing how the Reaver's VTOL jets use Vanu ceiling fans and ancient-tech Dyson fans.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #282
Bags
Lieutenant General

That's not a ceiling fan, you snaggle-toothed hambeast. That's a goddamned Dyson air multiplier. They put that on there to go stealth. Don't you know? Blades cause buffeting.
Good plan as Dyson vacuums don't lose suction.
Old 2011-02-18, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #283
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Maybe they operate on repulsor/anti-grav technology and the VTOL jets are just for directional thrust.
Old 2011-02-18, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #284
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea I know all about Apache tactics hiding behind hills, trees and mountains to pop people. However as much as that shit is cool and works in real life I don't think it would work in PlanetSide. There's just so many people flying around randomly you would get owned in short order with a maneuver like that.

Don't get me wrong - its some pretty cool stuff and a rotating cannon will or would be awesome on a Reaver I just don't know how effective it will be in a game world.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-02-18, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #285
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yea I know all about Apache tactics hiding behind hills, trees and mountains to pop people. However as much as that shit is cool and works in real life I don't think it would work in PlanetSide. There's just so many people flying around randomly you would get owned in short order with a maneuver like that.

Don't get me wrong - its some pretty cool stuff and a rotating cannon will or would be awesome on a Reaver I just don't know how effective it will be in a game world.
Lifefail likes to quote shit from wikipedia. I just went to wikipedia and typed in AH64 Apache and found half his post verbatim.

Real-life Apache tactics won't work in Planetside. Motion and momentum for VTOL aircraft does not work the same, plus nobody's really surprised when their radar minimap shows a Reaver-shaped icon or Mossie-shaped icon hiding behind the big brown nipple. And really, from my own experiences flying, a stationary Reaver/Mossie is a dead VTOL (warpgate excluded).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion