Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-04, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Recommended Parts for Building a New Computer

The H6x series does not allow you to overclock, but lets you use the GPU on the CPU. The P67 allows you to overclock, but not use the GPU on the CPU. Z68 allows to overclock and use the GPU on the CPU. Really what it comes down to is whether or not you are interested in overclocking. You can only overclock the 2500K and 2600K currently on the 1155 socket. If you want to overclock get the P67 if not one of the H6x boards. The Z68 often has a premium over the P67 if you are looking to overclock and as a gamer you will never use the GPU on the CPU, so really isn't worth it.
Old 2011-08-04, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea GPU on the CPU seems kind of pointless when you have a beefy vid card. Sounds good - thanks for the pointers

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-08-04, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You're welcome.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Ok, recommendations on monitors.
I currently game at 1620x1080 on my Westinghouse 22" monitor I purchased at Best Buy three years ago. Been a great monitor, but I see an opportunity to upgrade now.
I've been thinking of getting a 27" monitor, but want HDMI and widescreen 16:9. I see Acer have a few nice ones over on Newegg. But what would you recommend?

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-08-04, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I have heard nothing, but good stuff about this Planar 27 inch LCD for $230 at Dell and it has the HDMI input too. That monitor goes for $30 to $70 more depending on the store. I am considering getting their 23 inch 120Hz monitor sometime later this year depending on my bank account.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Review Index:

AMD Radeon HD Graphics:
6750 - ProClockers
6870 - Hard|OCP
6950 1GB - Hard|OCP
6950 2GB - Hard|OCP
6970 - Hard|OCP
Nvida GTX Graphics:
460 - Hardware Heaven - See the 6870 review for more comparison
560 Ti - Hard|OCP
570 - Hard|OCP
Intel Processors:
Pentium G620 - Xbit Labs
Core i3 2100 - AnandTech
Core i5 2500K - AnandTech

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-16 at 09:20 AM.
Old 2011-08-16, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I have heard nothing, but good stuff about this Planar 27 inch LCD for $230 at Dell and it has the HDMI input too. That monitor goes for $30 to $70 more depending on the store. I am considering getting their 23 inch 120Hz monitor sometime later this year depending on my bank account.
$230? That's almost $500!
Old 2011-08-16, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
$230? That's almost $500!
That was $230 by default 2 weeks ago. Use coupon PFGNXK95JS4L39 to get it back to that price now.
Old 2011-08-16, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bags
Lieutenant General

Found a $13 (after MIR) cheaper MSI 460 GTX that comes clocked slightly faster, has better ratings (71% 5 Eggs vs 68% 5 Eggs and 7% 1 Egg vs 11% 1 Egg), and comes with a free hat(lol): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127518

$175 + $0S/H - $40 MIR = $135
vs
$160 + $8S/H - $20 MIR = $148

Last edited by Bags; 2011-08-16 at 08:08 PM.
Old 2011-08-16, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

EVGA has a lifetime warranty vs MSI's 3 year. In my opinion it worth the extra $10 to have that on top of their top notch CS and step up program.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bags
Lieutenant General

EVGA has a lifetime warranty vs MSI's 3 year. In my opinion it worth the extra $10 to have that on top of their top notch CS and step up program.
If they have life time warranty then why can I add one year to the warranty for $17?
Newegg:
"Add 1-year extended warranty for only $16.99. (more options)read warranty details"
And why does the step-up site say their products have 3 year warranties?
http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
If your product has a 3 year warranty purchased on or after 1/1/11 you must also purchase an...
The step-up program is only for 90 days so I don't really see the point of it for the average consumer.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You got me there it was a TR and I did not notice that. I switch these builds up 1 to 2 times a week, so its bound that there maybe a mistake somewhere. AR type video cards are lifetime, so I switched it to that. EVGA was all life time just a year ago roughly, but added in stuff like TR and KR warranties that maybe 2 to 5 years. You have to pay a bit of a premium for the lifetime. See here for the codes.

Step up can be valuable to anyone. A new graphics card may come out for the same price and has more performance, so you get a free boost. If that person wants more performance with in those 90 days its easy to step up to a higher end card.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bags
Lieutenant General

You got me there it was a TR and I did not notice that. I switch these builds up 1 to 2 times a week, so its bound that there maybe a mistake somewhere. AR type video cards are lifetime, so I switched it to that. EVGA was all life time just a year ago roughly, but added in stuff like TR and KR warranties that maybe 2 to 5 years. You have to pay a bit of a premium for the lifetime. See here for the codes.

Step up can be valuable to anyone. A new graphics card may come out for the same price and has more performance, so you get a free boost. If that person wants more performance with in those 90 days its easy to step up to a higher end card.
Oh, I wasn't saying it wasn't valuable, just on average I don't see that many people using it.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Look at it this way. If Nvidia brings out a new card series in December and anyone 90 days prior to that can step up to any of those cards. The lines for getting a step up card when that happens is HUGE. You never know what maybe coming around the corner, so its a bit of a insurance plan.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 2011-08-16, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bags
Lieutenant General

Look at it this way. If Nvidia brings out a new card series in December and anyone 90 days prior to that can step up to any of those cards. The lines for getting a step up card when that happens is HUGE. You never know what maybe coming around the corner, so its a bit of a insurance plan.
I guess. At least I managed to ensure anyone who follows your guide will get life time warranty.