Snipers in PS2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Manufactured on a computer that processes peanuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-02, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Re: Snipers in PS2

Anything goes as long as there is no quick scoping. It's a broken mechanic that doesn't belong in a game like this
Old 2012-04-02, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
Never had a problem with snipers in any game.

I honestly can't see why so many people are whinging.
This mostly relates to the scale of Planetside. Most veterans are well aware of cliffs with like 10 snipers aiming into a base randomly hitting soldiers. The thought of making that too easy would be a huge balance issue. Especially knowing there are players out there that get to the skill level of "never missing" taking a weapon that is designed to be skilled and destroying it for the rest of the players.
Old 2012-04-02, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Wanderer
Private

A snipers role in a squad, other then controlling a bottleneck in a territory battle, is to act as subjective overwatch. When lone-wolfing they should be taking targets of opportunity and counter-sniping at common rally points or just annoying a region to distract. In a large scale game they would be essential for holding certain open points with good cover, so I actually hope there are one shot kills and some decent recon abilities to spot or tag targets etc.

I play a sniper a lot in BF3. I'll make maybe 3 or 4 kills on purpose, but I have had the MAV out or a SOFLAM and doing my job making sure my team knows where the action is and where its coming from. The only time I make kills is if I am threatened, I am about to move and thus take a few shots before moving up (RUSH) or I have specifically taken on the responsibility of protecting a cap point. My main beef in FPS multi is when there are a ton of snipers who don't contribute to the team play, ie just running off to practice their Longest headshot score and find sneaky positions. They don't even spot. Don't get me started on the tools who take heli or jet just to jump onto a stack or building...sigh.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

If you think the snipers in BF3 are difficult to deal with, don't play Bad Company 2. They nerfed the shit out of snipers in BF3. The scope glint in BF3 is borderline retarded. I have killed snipers who were wearing black spec ops gear, hiding in a black tunnel, through multiple consecutive smoke grenade clouds strictly by how bright the damn scope glint is. BF3 aside, I really did not have problems with BC2 snipers though. A few tips:
  • Don't run through the middle of an open field like a short bus riding window licker.
  • Minimize your exposure to open area's and places with long range views.
  • Don't run in a straight line.
  • Think like a sniper. Always assume that there is a sniper in that awesome looking sniper spot.
  • If you have to cross an open area, use smoke. And for christ sake, don't shoot the smoke at your feet or at the path your going to take, making yourself blind isn't smart. Shoot it in-between where you think the sniper might be and your planned route, make the sniper sit in smoke if you can.

That should get you started.
Old 2012-04-03, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
  • Don't run through the middle of an open field like a short bus riding window licker.
  • Minimize your exposure to open area's and places with long range views.
  • Don't run in a straight line.
  • Think like a sniper. Always assume that there is a sniper in that awesome looking sniper spot.
  • If you have to cross an open area, use smoke. And for christ sake, don't shoot the smoke at your feet or at the path your going to take, making yourself blind isn't smart. Shoot it in-between where you think the sniper might be and your planned route, make the sniper sit in smoke if you can.
  • Get one of the plethora of vehicles available to you that are pretty much immune to snipers. Maybe MAXs too. I doubt those will vulnerable to headshots.

Plus, with the absence of spitfires and AI mines, and infils maybe getting SMGs or Shotguns, snipers are going to be plenty busy getting harassed by ninjas.
Old 2012-04-03, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Asher
Private

I hope Snipers get one shot head shots. As long as bullet drop and lag time from the barrel to the target are in play then it will take much more skill to snipe on such large maps. A contour line from the bullet should also sufficiently balance the class.

We are not talking about BF were when a sniper gets a kill he just took out 1/16 of your team. We are talking about hundreds of people on a huge map. The chances that a sniper will repeatedly kill you is very low. Even more so if bullet drop and bullet lag make sniping a challenge.

Also, as Eyeklops stated, don't play stupid. If your one of these people that runs around randomly and "Halo" it, only worrying about your own K/D your hampering your team just as much as that sniper. Take cover and work with your team. If no one in your team can begin pin pointing the snipers location by the second or third shot your problem isn't with the sniper its with awareness as a group.

As for 10 snipers being on a hill.... one can only hope. With the new class system snipers won't be able to set up protective CE so a large group will get Reaver farmed.
Old 2012-04-03, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
This mostly relates to the scale of Planetside. Most veterans are well aware of cliffs with like 10 snipers aiming into a base randomly hitting soldiers. The thought of making that too easy would be a huge balance issue. Especially knowing there are players out there that get to the skill level of "never missing" taking a weapon that is designed to be skilled and destroying it for the rest of the players.
Well, yes. I played the game for around 3 years.

Grab a sniper rifle yourself and start putting bullets back into them.

Grab infiltrator armor and stick a knife or a pistol barrel into their back.

Grab a mossie or reaver and kill them.

It's sad to see how many people just curl up and cry when they cannot attack someone by simply walking around a corner.

You've got options to kill them. People need to either use them or live with not being able to kill them with your HA from inside your base.

I never had a problem with Snipers because I wasn't a mouthbreathing COD player, and actually used the tools presented to me within the game, to deal with them.

The same way I never had a problem with Artillery, because I wasn't brought to school on the 'special bus'.
Old 2012-04-03, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ale
Corporal

75 damage bolt actions
34 damage semi automatics
x2 damage headshot multipliers
=
Balanced sniping.

+1 on making the cloaking sniper class more of a scout / recon through the use of tools like tracers, spawn beacons, plantable cameras, hacking devices.

That said, the rexo / heavy should be able to equip any weapon class in the game, including sniper rifles. The rexo sniper with HA sidearm is a planetside staple.
Old 2012-04-03, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Fafnir
Sergeant

I hope you don't mind me using so many Project Reality comparisions, but Blacksand guys got snipers working perfectly.

In PR snipers operate in groups of 3 - a squad leader-spotter, a medic and a sniper. Their priority is to scout wide areas for commander and to kill key targets such as enemy squad leaders and medics. They use stealth - no cloaking, but realistic hiding behind cover and changing position every time sniper shots someone.

I know, this wouldn't work in PS2, it's too complex for most players. Although I admit, sitting for 15 minutes in one spot and watching area for my buddy sniper was fun for me. Well, there always can be compromise. Let snipers be spotters for themselves and for their allies, and make engineers, officers and medics their priority targets. Encourage them in some way to work at last in pairs, so they are better at recon and picking targets. The most important is, snipers shouldn't be just about killing.

Last edited by Fafnir; 2012-04-03 at 03:59 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Some of you guys apparently want the sniper rifle to be an airsoft/nerf gun ... you might as well remove the sniper rifles from the game.

PS: I hope they can damage aircrafts again, so I can shoot some out of the air.
Old 2012-04-03, 04:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DxC
Sergeant

I don't mind snipers in Bf3 (Although sometimes I want to punch who ever is playing as them in the face. Nothing more amusing than knifing them though!) They are good for PS1 as well balanced just enough to serve as a warning shot then if you don't move / get to cover that's your own silly fault.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Magpie
Sergeant Major

i miss the old snipers,

todays sniper all about keeping on the move, quick scope, small maps. and i miss the Bush Wookies the 2 team snipers sitting in a bush or building sniping from miles away. but now i never really play sniper coz its fake. Battlefield 2 BC2 sniper was great

i would love to see lots of support skills

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-04-03 at 05:04 AM.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
kadrin
Sergeant

I thought sniping was fine in PS1, no one hit kills, no headshot bs. I'm really disappointed with the new headshot bonus, it's not necessary, and I hope there is no one hit kill for anything in PS2.

It separated good snipers from the wannabe XxXVegetaXGokuXEliteXSniperXxX when it took 2 or more shots to kill someone, and melee kills felt rewarding when it wasn't something like "herp yuor bak is 2 me!".

It all worked fine in PS1, don't copy some other franchise with the "ME TOO" mentality to attract the ADD COD/BF3 crowd.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Abit weird to start a thread just for everyone to bash sniping and say how they hate it.

I happen to love sniping, and with snipers being able to cloak its all my dreams come true.

Lets not forget that this game will involve vast open areas, there has to be some class to dominate them and keep infantry away. Rather than rolling tanks through, or every rapid fire machine gunner spraying and praying.

And as for BF3 sniping, i assume youre playing on PC which has decades of twitch reaction gamers. On the xbox ive played for about 140 hours, and theres only about 3 snipers who ive ever played against who were consistant enough to kill.

Also maybe you wont have so much trouble with snipers not being able to go prone in PS2, something that the entire BF3 community rallied for i might add. *cough*
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-03, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vancha
Colonel

It needs to be hard to hit people. The best thing about Planetside 1 was all the people who'd pick up a bolt driver planning to be 1337 sniper and finding they couldn't hit anything further than a courtyard away.

Thoreaux made the most important point, I think. Twitch-sniping is bad. The need to let the crosshair "rest" in Planetside was a large part of what made it so balanced. Perhaps it doesn't need to be quite as extreme as in the original, but I think PS2 would benefit from a similar element. I wouldn't want to be able to swing my crosshair halfway across a base and immediately be able to shoot with pin-point accuracy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion