Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Newbie Burger.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-13, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bonius
Sergeant

Re: Things I will miss in PS2 from PS1

I will miss nothing. PS2 =/= PS1 - end of story
Old 2012-03-13, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
I will miss nothing. PS2 =/= PS1 - end of story
Yeah, you'll just keep on playing PS1 long after PS2 launches, right?
Old 2012-03-14, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
noxious
Second Lieutenant

AMSes and being able to see holstered weapons on other characters.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

R.I.P. Advanced Mobile Station
Old 2012-03-14, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
kadrin
Sergeant

I'll sign on as yet another person who will miss the Enter/Exit animations. Hoping like everyone else that they'll be added after launch, understandable that they take time and won't be in the initial release.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
EVILoHOMER
Major

I wont miss the Vehicle enter and Exit animations, I thought they were pretty pointless, it works just fine for Battlefield not having them and people don't complain. If you had to watch the animation every time I could see more people complaining about how repetitive it is.

I'm pretty sure as vehicles are customizable you'll have two people tanks, I never found the prowler fun in Planetside tbh, just felt gimped compared to the others. The Mag had the driver and the passenger being gunners so I don't see the problem in that happening with Planetside 2. I always found having to drive a tank and not being able to fire be really boring so I went with the lighting instead.

The Music wasn't a good point in Planetside, I hope they do something better and more memorable in Planetside 2. It was hardly Skyrim, Portal 2 or Deus ex HR quality from last year.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
At this point I cannot see a single reason to play Planetside before Planetside 2 has been released lol. It's very dated and so few people play you get bigger battles out of BF3, in fact I think I saw more people on the planets in SWTOR lol.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I wont miss the Vehicle enter and Exit animations, I thought they were pretty pointless, it works just fine for Battlefield not having them and people don't complain. If you had to watch the animation every time I could see more people complaining about how repetitive it is.
I complained, I complained about during their beta, and I complained when it was released, I complained on their previous Battlefield titles. It's horribly game breaking and immersion breaking to just have suddenly 1, 2, 3 or even 4+ people just go *POP* out of or into existence and start shooting at you.

And that's if they're doing it wrong, we had a big group organize once to have 4 people from 4 different squads in one Humvee and the other 12 didn't spawn, the Humvee raced to a forward spot, everyone hopped out, the other 12 spawned, and suddenly 16 people practically behind enemy lines.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
I complained, I complained about during their beta, and I complained when it was released, I complained on their previous Battlefield titles. It's horribly game breaking and immersion breaking to just have suddenly 1, 2, 3 or even 4+ people just go *POP* out of or into existence and start shooting at you.

And that's if they're doing it wrong, we had a big group organize once to have 4 people from 4 different squads in one Humvee and the other 12 didn't spawn, the Humvee raced to a forward spot, everyone hopped out, the other 12 spawned, and suddenly 16 people practically behind enemy lines.
Problem is in real life you can fire from within the vehicle and exit the vehicle firing and using the doors as cover and can get out pretty quickly into some sort of cover. You don't have to wait for an animation where you're useless and have to watch the same animation time and time again. So the easiest thing to do is get rid of the animation and it's much less frustrating and closer to real life in what a game can do. Now if you hate people bailing just before the vehicle blows up then just do what Planetside did with aircraft.
Old 2012-03-14, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Problem is in real life you can fire from within the vehicle and exit the vehicle firing and using the doors as cover and can get out pretty quickly into some sort of cover. You don't have to wait for an animation where you're useless and have to watch the same animation time and time again. So the easiest thing to do is get rid of the animation and it's much less frustrating and closer to real life in what a game can do. Now if you hate people bailing just before the vehicle blows up then just do what Planetside did with aircraft.
And in Planetside you're invincible during the animations, but at least others could see you entering and exiting and could prepare for it, unlike Battlefield games where people just pop into or out of existence while you're actively shooting at them.

Also, the usefulness of someone firing while entering or exiting a vehicle is very suspect, especially considering the amount and bulk of the armor/gear they have, the size of the weapon and the size of the door/hatch they're climbing into/out of.

I never got tired of watching the animations, they were unique, no other game does it, despite being a sci-fi shooter, it felt more real than a lot of "realistic" games.

And no, the people who bailed out never bothered me, though having a neat bail out animation and maybe some experience points for blowing up the vehicle anyway would have been nice.
Old 2012-03-14, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
=/= means 'not the same as', wich would point towards the fact that PS2 is not similar to PS1. Hence my experience with PS2 will be a completely new one compared to that of the old Planetside. Comparisons between the two is just dumb.

And in Planetside you're invincible during the animations, but at least others could see you entering and exiting and could prepare for it, unlike Battlefield games where people just pop into or out of existence while you're actively shooting at them.

Also, the usefulness of someone firing while entering or exiting a vehicle is very suspect, especially considering the amount and bulk of the armor/gear they have, the size of the weapon and the size of the door/hatch they're climbing into/out of.

I never got tired of watching the animations, they were unique, no other game does it, despite being a sci-fi shooter, it felt more real than a lot of "realistic" games.

And no, the people who bailed out never bothered me, though having a neat bail out animation and maybe some experience points for blowing up the vehicle anyway would have been nice.
It's all part of the tactics. If uou know that they're going to do something like squad bombing, you need to act accordingly. If you position yourself in such a bad way that you will get stomped as soon as another two or three enemies show up, you would be dead even if there was enter/exit animations.

People exiting or entering vehicles in a combat situation will most likely be firing their weapons and seeking cover behind the vehicle itself (doors/hatches/trunk/hood/tires). You don't stop engaging the enemy just because you have to take three steps out of the backseat of a car.

I'm glad they've removed the enter/exit animations since it speeds up combat.

Squad spawning is a good thing since it vastly improves the flow of the battlefield. It also requires alot of coordination to work efficiently. Pop the squad leader and the whole squad is unable to respawn on that position (unless you use the BF2 tactic).

Last edited by Bonius; 2012-03-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tialian View Post
Vehicle Enter and Exit animations

Why?
They add a lot of immersion to the game. Seeing people saddle up by jumping into a Marauder, hoping into a Mosquito/Reaver cockpit, or even seeing a squad run out and load up in a Gal. It gives the player the sense that they are actually in the game. Hopefully this is reconsidered during alpha/beta.
I agree with all of them, but this one, for different reasons.

I don't want people teleporting into a vehicle willynilly. Or even worse, teleporting out of them. Opening the hatch and extracting yourself from a tank that's about to explode makes more sense than instantly being outside and running.

Vehicles should need to come to almost a stop for people to enter, and swapping seats should take more effort than simply pressing a button and teleporting. Why bother having 3 players in a Lib, when the gunner can use both tailgun and main gun?

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-03-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
kadrin
Sergeant

People exiting or entering vehicles in a combat situation will most likely be firing their weapons and seeking cover behind the vehicle itself (doors/hatches/trunk/hood/tires). You don't stop engaging the enemy just because you have to take three steps out of the backseat of a car.
Again, have you ever tried to get out the door of a vehicle with some hundreds pounds of gear and armor and your gun, while keeping the gun up to fire? Have you tried doing that out of the small hatch on the top of a tank?

I'm glad they've removed the enter/exit animations since it speeds up combat.
Matter of preference really, I thought the speed of combat was fine, if I wanted faster I could literally choose any other fps ever. Regardless of preference though, even as someone suggested earlier, at least have some sort of phase in/out, some to visually convey that they're entering or exiting the vehicle rather than just *POP*.

Squad spawning is a good thing since it vastly improves the flow of the battlefield. It also requires alot of coordination to work efficiently. Pop the squad leader and the whole squad is unable to respawn on that position (unless you use the BF2 tactic).
If what they said was true, and squad spawning is only on the squad leader and they come from drop pods, yes its fine.

But something to consider: since everyone can be a squad leader, there is as far as I know, currently no way to tell who is a squad leader, so singling them out will be impossible, arguments made along the lines of "just kill the squad leader" don't really have any merit.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Absolutely nothing says you need to be invulnerable while you enter and exit, nothing.

That was simply a design choice do to PS1 coming out in 2003.

Most Major games feature them, and its the sign of a highly polished, immersive, game.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stardouser
Colonel

What BF2 tactic? If you mean, people switching someone else to squad leader, so that the dead can respawn on someone else, surely they will curb that in some way.

Matter of preference really, I thought the speed of combat was fine, if I wanted faster I could literally choose any other fps ever. Regardless of preference though, even as someone suggested earlier, at least have some sort of phase in/out, some to visually convey that they're entering or exiting the vehicle rather than just *POP*.

If what they said was true, and squad spawning is only on the squad leader and they come from drop pods, yes its fine.

But something to consider: since everyone can be a squad leader, there is as far as I know, currently no way to tell who is a squad leader, so singling them out will be impossible, arguments made along the lines of "just kill the squad leader" don't really have any merit.
Speed of combat is an incredibly complex subject. Personally, from a Battlefield point of view, I prefer unlimited sprint, plenty of fast vehicles available, squad spawning and flag spawning, etc, but for this to be offset by HUGE maps. Oh, and I prefer smooth quick prone animations and for simple powerful jumping instead of that vault animation, although those 2 things don't apply to PS2. And no significant enter/exit animations. That way, the gameplay FEELS fast because you're moving fast and you're not delayed by any of these things, but at the same time it still takes you a while to reach anywhere. BF3 fails in this regard because, while I certainly think there should be small maps like Metro to cater to who wants them, there should also be true large maps, but unfortunately what BF3 uses as large maps are not large at all. You can run to the next flag in 10 seconds at the most and you can certainly reach the next flag with any of your weapons. Therefore, BF3 large map size is not big enough to offset the unlimited sprint and weapon range.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion