Are G2A Rockets Working as Intended? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I use my orbital strike?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-18, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

Re: Are G2A Rockets Working as Intended?

A few days ago I was standing at the pad of Jaegers Crossing on Esamir warding off all sorts of VS air zerg with a Hawk and yes, barely a third of the shots connected (if that even).
Some of them were flared and others were skilfully dodged so the rocket crashed into the ground or other obstacles, but a worrying amount just stopped tracking mid flight.

Not sure if it has something to do with the drawing distance or what it is, but something is definitely off.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Fear The Amish
First Sergeant

yeah AA max is the way to go but your kinda useless for everything else besides being a bullet sponge.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Question for pilots:

Which makes you run more readily, and keeps you off the battle field for a longer period? G2A or flak Maxes?
Maxes by far. When I get locked on I have a few moments before a rocket is fired. And when it is, I just use my flares, hang around for a few seconds before flying to safety.

The bursters are unavoidable though (with the condition that the player that is using them is a little capable) so when I get hit with them I usually fly away as fast as possible, but when possible I do try to finish my run.
Old 2012-12-18, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

So, you'd say the max flak excels in both damage and deterring?

If that is the case, does anyone think that the G2A rockets should have less lock on time?
Old 2012-12-18, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Haaken
Private

So, you'd say the max flak excels in both damage and deterring?

If that is the case, does anyone think that the G2A rockets should have less lock on time?
No..

Tell your buddy to pull a double burster max and do the same yourself....
Watch ESF's drop from the skies.
The ones that are smart enough to get out of there, watch them fly back and forth doing nothing but repairing.

HA is not meant to single handedly take down any and all enemies.. It's meant to be a solid class that can deal with them.. If you want to take down tanks / air, work with your buddies.

Last edited by Haaken; 2012-12-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 2012-12-18, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Haaken View Post
No..

Tell your buddy to pull a double burster max and do the same yourself....
Watch ESF's drop from the skies.
The ones that are smart enough to get out of there, watch them fly back and forth doing nothing but repairing.

HA is not meant to single handedly take down any and all enemies.. It's meant to be a solid class that can deal with them.. If you want to take down tanks / air, work with your buddies.
Lol, I wasn't suggesting that HAs should "single handedly take down any and all enemies". I wasn't even suggesting HA was an underpowered class. What are you getting at?
Old 2012-12-18, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

How do you dodge missile lock-ons when you're flying the Reaver? I don't have any sort of counter measures except vehicle stealth tier 1. I'm not a bad pilot either, I'm actually pretty decent. But whenever I have a lock on me I tend to freak out and fly away otherwise there goes more than half of my hull integrity.

How do you dodge missiles without the use of counter measures?
Old 2012-12-18, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
Granted, my experience here is only from watching people do it rather than doing it myself, but it seems like tight turns really screws with them. I've seen people do a tight backwards loop (or a few quick turns) and throw off missiles.
Old 2012-12-18, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
How do you dodge missile lock-ons when you're flying the Reaver? I don't have any sort of counter measures except vehicle stealth tier 1. I'm not a bad pilot either, I'm actually pretty decent. But whenever I have a lock on me I tend to freak out and fly away otherwise there goes more than half of my hull integrity.

Put something in between you, and that incoming rocket...so fly into a pit/around a mountain or facility...getting low. The rocket is going to head straight towards your signature, and it won't dodge the obstacle you've just put in its way.

Also, I have dodged them by flying directly in one direction and then pulling hard in another. It isn't a certainty you'll dodge it that way, but you would be surprised how often it works.
Old 2012-12-18, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Granted, my experience here is only from watching people do it rather than doing it myself, but it seems like tight turns really screws with them. I've seen people do a tight backwards loop (or a few quick turns) and throw off missiles.
I've seen people do this to dodge missiles I've fired. I've also tried to do the same whilst flying, and failed.

To be fair, I have successfully evaded a couple of times - I think it's much harder to evade if the missile's been fired by another ESF rather than a ground unit.

I'm actually reasonably happy that my G2A launcher does do a job of disrupting and suppressing enemy air, even if it isn't killing them. It's certainly distracting them from hover-spamming A2G rockets, and forcing them to manoeuvre/withdraw and repair.

It's just...not much fun, to be honest, and something I end up doing when there's a significant enemy air presence because I think it's necessary, but that never really gives me any sense of achievement. Partly that's down to not having the co-ordination that would come from running with an outfit.

But I wonder if you'd get the same level of 'deterrence' of air, but with it being more fun for the player, if the launcher fired less often, or had much less ammo, or had a really long reload time......BUT hit more often and did more damage when it did.

You could tweak the numbers so the same number of ground units would have the same 'rate of attrition' against air units as now, but by having less frequent but more significant hits. That might increase the fun factor, for me at least.

Mileage, as always, will vary.
Old 2012-12-18, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Haaken
Private

Lol, I wasn't suggesting that HAs should "single handedly take down any and all enemies". I wasn't even suggesting HA was an underpowered class. What are you getting at?

You were suggesting shortening lock on timer (buffing HA)
Old 2012-12-18, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
BattleWagon
Private

i agree with the original poster in that my hit % with these missiles is ~30%.

partly due to flares, okay, air can counter my counter.

the other parts are skilled pilots who can dodge/evade/cause wrongful missile collision onto building/ground. (that is fine, even though i don't like it.)

but the missiles will at some point (usually when the Air is flying as far away from me as possible) the missile will simply stop following with no explosion... this is what needs fixing. this g2a missile bug is really annoying.

[aside... assists and deterrents are good enough for me and my team to capture the zone.]
Old 2012-12-18, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
VaderDSL
Private

I don't bother firing at ESFs anymore, I just get a lock to scare them then move onto a Liberator and try and nail one of those instead, at leas the rockets can hit them
Old 2012-12-18, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by VaderDSL View Post
I don't bother firing at ESFs anymore, I just get a lock to scare them then move onto a Liberator and try and nail one of those instead, at leas the rockets can hit them
You know, that's not a bad technique. The hit rate for ESFs is so low I should probably save them for slower targets. I can save some ammo that way.
Old 2012-12-18, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

You know, that's not a bad technique. The hit rate for ESFs is so low I should probably save them for slower targets. I can save some ammo that way.
I just killed a Mossie with my G2A Launcher!!!!

That this is a sufficiently infrequent occurrence that my first response was to come on here and post about it, tells you something....
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion