Galaxy Drop: Buzzer & Green Light Signal - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I went to PSU and all I got was this lousy quote!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-23, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
BillyBob
Corporal

Re: Galaxy Drop: Buzzer & Green Light Signal

Yeah, no matter how hilarious it may be (for the pilot at least) to drop people into various "situations" and locations, the griefing implications of dropping all your passengers at will are pretty obvious. Added that as a note to my list.

Also added some more stages to the process which might increase the feel and usefulness of the feature. It's basically as follows...

Red Light (No Sound): Stay put, remain in Galaxy.

Yellow Light: Approaching Drop Zone, prepare to drop.

Green Light + Buzzer Signal: Drop! Drop! Drop!

Should still be pretty easy to implement while still being effective and hopefully useful.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-23 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Garem
Sergeant

Great idea.

Please make this STANDARD, not something requiring cert'ing. This is a cool no-brainer.
Old 2012-06-23, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Danelo
Private

This is an excellent idea and it would really improve immersion.
Old 2012-06-25, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Knotz
Sergeant

I'd drop the yellow, just have it so that it's red by standard, and when the pilot presses the buzzer then the players get a buzzing sound, a flashing green light for 5 seconds and then a solid green light. Jump on the solid
Old 2012-06-25, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
I'd drop the yellow, just have it so that it's red by standard, and when the pilot presses the buzzer then the players get a buzzing sound, a flashing green light for 5 seconds and then a solid green light. Jump on the solid
Ok, but wouldn't that also cause a 5 second delay from when the pilot triggers the signal to when it's time to actually jump?

Depending on the speed and altitude of the Galaxy, even a one second delay could cause the players dropping to completely miss the target drop zone.

Personally, I think that for the most accurate and responsive results, the pilot must have control to activate the green light and buzzer instantly and without any delays whatsoever.

Also, I think that the yellow "standby" light would help decrease the risk of players missing the actual drop signal and help the jumping group achieve as tight a drop pattern as possible.

Anyway, regardless of whether you skip using the yellow light or not, I strongly believe that any delays in the signal (no matter how small) would be a very bad thing and something that should be avoided at all cost.

IMO, the whole point of using a system like this would be to increase the timing and accuracy of the drops...and adding any delays would be counter-productive to that goal.

/BB

Last edited by BillyBob; 2012-06-25 at 07:49 AM.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Knotz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Ok, but wouldn't that also cause a 5 second delay from when the pilot triggers the signal to when it's time to actually jump?

Depending on the speed and altitude of the Galaxy, even a one second delay could cause the players dropping to completely miss the target drop zone.

Personally, I think that for the most accurate and responsive results, the pilot must have control to activate the green light and buzzer instantly and without any delays whatsoever.

Also, I think that the yellow "standby" light would help decrease the risk of players missing the actual drop signal and help the jumping group achieve as tight a drop pattern as possible.

Anyway, regardless of whether you skip using the yellow light or not, I strongly believe that any delays in the signal (no matter how small) would be a very bad thing and something that should be avoided at all cost.

IMO, the whole point of using a system like this would be to increase the timing and accuracy of the drops...and adding any delays would be counter-productive to that goal.

/BB
he could hit the delay 5 seconds before reaching the drop zone? :P
but yeah it could be a bit dodgy... best of keeping to a simple red/green+buzzer
Old 2012-06-25, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zehtuka
Private

Simple, but effective!
Old 2012-06-25, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
GIXSA
Private

excellent idea
Old 2012-06-25, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
NakedMoleTonka
Private

i have read all of the comments and i feel that it would be best for a yellow light to be implemented, even if to just "wake up" your paratroopers so they realize its almost time. the green light should be instantanious(as well as the buzzer) and, even if they never make a first person view of inside the galaxy, or if they do and a certain person just wants to stay in the view to see outside, they could make the light just brighten up the edges of your screen, so even if your looking outside you would see the light.
Old 2012-07-07, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Satexios
Sergeant

I am going to bump this suggestion as it is something I've been wanting to see in PS1. Even if it is a button on your hud, it just makes it so much more fun and easy to use.

As a gal pilot it would be a matter of press F for example to turn it yellow and F again for the drop.

5 stars!
Old 2012-07-07, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
Red Light (No Sound): Stay put, remain in Galaxy.

Yellow Light: Approaching Drop Zone, prepare to drop.

Green Light + Buzzer Signal: Drop! Drop! Drop!
+1
Old 2012-07-07, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
BeastBuster
Private

This would be an awesome addition to the Galaxy.
Old 2012-07-07, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kezz
Sergeant

And they could sell different "buzzers" in the cash shop. Some of them could be voices. I vote for R-Y-G. There should be a 'sound warning' when Yellow comes on, but nothing persistent. If they could have a tail door opening animation, that'd be great.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Yellow and green are not distinct enough for colorblind folks. Make the green light pulse/flash.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
MorioMortis
Corporal

Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
Yellow and green are not distinct enough for colorblind folks. Make the green light pulse/flash.
I'd make it flash and, optionally have a siren sound off inside the Galaxy either only inside, to keep the stealth insertions, or as a loud noise to create fear in the enemy, ala Stuka (of course, you'd also want some on you Liberator bombardment to go with it).

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault