Who upgraded for BF3? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We Won't Screw You Over....Really..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2011-10-07, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Who upgraded for BF3?

Water cooling is great if you do it properly. Nice and quiet.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Crator
Major General

Ya, I got a Thermaltake water cooling system. I just bought a new NVidia GTX 570. Works great!
Old 2011-10-07, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Killerobe
Private

I'm about to finish my build tomorrow...currently got a i7 2600k, 4gb ram, and I'm going to pick up a GTX 580 tomorrow....going to have to do some mad cable management though..before i put it in...i rushed so fast to get the build together i kinda just threw everything in there (I hadn't had a computer in 7 months because my old one fried). I wish I woulda sprung for the modular PS.
Old 2011-10-09, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Killerobe View Post
I'm about to finish my build tomorrow...currently got a i7 2600k, 4gb ram, and I'm going to pick up a GTX 580 tomorrow....going to have to do some mad cable management though..before i put it in...i rushed so fast to get the build together i kinda just threw everything in there (I hadn't had a computer in 7 months because my old one fried). I wish I woulda sprung for the modular PS.
lol you can still get PSU's not modular?
Old 2011-10-09, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Yes you can. Their is still a decent $30 to $50 price gab depending as well. I prefer modular and probably will upgrade my to a full modular 750W one once I see a good sale. Mine is from 2008 and isn't the best design these days.

@Killerobe

Make sure you get 8GB of DDR3. Its litterally the same price as 4GB these days. No reason not to do it.
Old 2011-10-09, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Killerobe
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Yes you can. Their is still a decent $30 to $50 price gab depending as well. I prefer modular and probably will upgrade my to a full modular 750W one once I see a good sale. Mine is from 2008 and isn't the best design these days.

@Killerobe

Make sure you get 8GB of DDR3. Its litterally the same price as 4GB these days. No reason not to do it.
Yeah ill prob pick up another stick here in a few weeks...at $25 bucks...its worth the money
Old 2011-10-09, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Killerobe View Post
Yeah ill prob pick up another stick here in a few weeks...at $25 bucks...its worth the money
Ah I see you picked up a 4GB stick? Smart man.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Question.

I have to GTX460s in SLI right now. with i7 960. 12gb Gskill ram

The game runs PERFECT above 60 frames a second on ultra.(But then again the Beta did not have the Real Ultra Settings) Should I replace those to GTX460s with two 560s?

Opinions if its worth it.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You have the full fledged GTX 460? If so I wouldn't bother. GTX 460 1GB 336 SP SLI offers greater performance then a GTX 580. A GTX 560 Ti is only clocked higher and has 384 SP (15% more processing power with hardware). That isn't really a worthwhile upgrade from that even going SLI. Have you overclocked your 460s yet? You probably will see a 20% boost if you do.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
You have the full fledged GTX 460? If so I wouldn't bother. GTX 460 1GB 336 SP SLI offers greater performance then a GTX 580. A GTX 560 Ti is only clocked higher and has 384 SP (15% more processing power with hardware). That isn't really a worthwhile upgrade from that even going SLI. Have you overclocked your 460s yet? You probably will see a 20% boost if you do.
No I have not overclocked them yet. I dont need to just yet. Maybe in the future

And yes they are the full fledged ones. I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16814500169x2

Got these about a year and a half ago. God how fast these things go down in price. Great cards tho. No issues what so ever
Thanks Goku
Old 2011-10-10, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Killerobe
Private

Yeah My GTX580 is working great in the beta. I noticed a screen tear every now and again but I think its because of the beta drivers I was using. Lots of things i can tweak when the full game comes out.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

Have a 580 as well and it worked awesome, saw a few graphical glitches as well but those can easily be attributed to beta and/or beta video drivers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-10, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I spent way too much on my computer, but it was mostly because it was my first computer and I wanted to indulge myself.

Corsair 800d Case
ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 Motherboard
AX1200 Corsair PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
128GB Crucial RealSSD C300
I7 2600k 3.4GHz
H100 CPU Cooler
MSI 580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition

That's what I got so far, but I plan on upgrading it later with:

1 more 128GB SSD
A few 1-2TB Hard Drives for storage
Another GPU
Water Cooling kit
and triple 23-4" monitors.

And before you say it, yes, this stuff is incredibly overpriced, but I got a few awesome deals when I bought it, and a lot of birthday gift money, and a College Grant, and the stuff I haven't bought will be bought over time with extra cash from my job.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2011-10-11, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Nice computer Spectre. Its beastly.

I finally got back to my dorm last night. By the time I made the modifications to my computer and resinstalled Windows 7 Pro I was unable to even try the beta out -.-.

Does anyone else with a 400/500 series card have cloakers stick out like sore thumbs while playing PS? I can see them far a good distance when they run with no issues. I'm scared to even shoot them, since they may think I'm hacking/doing the gamma cheat. My 5770/4770 never had this issue.
Old 2011-10-11, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bags
Lieutenant General

460GTX here and nope. Not that it's necessary though, most are obvious.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum