Rated T for Teen...If not add hardcore gore for realism/depth - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: and you thought sex was fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-13, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Re: Rated T for Teen...If not add hardcore gore for realism/depth

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
We won't see Gore or Blood in PS2. Most we will see is ragdoll probably.
I was about to say that, if it doesnt have ragdoll i will be abit miffed. But they will have enough of a hard time communicating where and how soo many people are dieing and fighting. I dont think they will have the freedom to broadcast if someones ragdoll landed nuts first on a reaver tail.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don't have a problem with games where blood and guts makes sense or is a stylistic element. That is: It isn't gore for gores' sake.
Lacking it can be a real suspension of disbelief problem in many cases: Blood is a thing everybody has...if you poke some holes in someone somehow, they're gonna leak.

PS2 is probably best off leaving the splashy kind of effects out for performance reasons...but lacking it all together might be kind of weird. But with all the armor, ect. I don't think it matters much either way.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Simple answer is nowadays people dont care, there was a point when FPS's more and more gore was their only gimmick, but COD changed everything. Specifically now all people care about is there reward for killing a person, not the blood spraying horror show of removing someones head.

Bulletstorm was the perfect culmination of the two. And battlefield 3 you dont even see a thing, which i presonally love. Knife kill animations which could be brutal, are clever quick and silent.

Also failing all those excuses man, think about this. Its easier to beleive a medic patched someone up from a bullet to the chest. Than it is to beleive they patched them up after their limbs landed on another continent.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
bullet
First Sergeant

Can they add in food and toilets too? My guy loves a cheeseburger everyonce in a while but then hes got to take care of some business. I think it'll add more depth to the game when we're sitting on the toilet and we here a cloaker come by our stall.
Old 2012-03-13, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I don't have a problem with games where blood and guts makes sense or is a stylistic element. That is: It isn't gore for gores' sake.
Lacking it can be a real suspension of disbelief problem in many cases: Blood is a thing everybody has...if you poke some holes in someone somehow, they're gonna leak.

PS2 is probably best off leaving the splashy kind of effects out for performance reasons...but lacking it all together might be kind of weird. But with all the armor, ect. I don't think it matters much either way.
i dont think planetside needs it, it just detracts from the experience imho
most i would be able to deal with is a "puff" of red mist.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Xaine
Major

Really don't want to see people being ripped apart, thanks. If you want to see that, go play killing floor or LFD2 or even enlist.

This game needs as many people as possible, putting random shit in like exploding heads and flying limbs is only going to push the majority of people away.
Old 2012-03-13, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Rated T for troll thread.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-13, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
I was about to say that, if it doesnt have ragdoll i will be abit miffed. But they will have enough of a hard time communicating where and how soo many people are dieing and fighting. I dont think they will have the freedom to broadcast if someones ragdoll landed nuts first on a reaver tail.
OMG! second time I've LOL'd today.

Thank you for that image.

There will be no gore at least until the 6 month update/patch/shop content upgrade. Like someone else said, if they can't have holstered weapons or vehicle entering animations, there can be no gore.

I would like to see how far I can bounce someone with my super upgraded tank cannon though.

Can I get bonus XP for "trick shots"?
Old 2012-03-13, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
alienmoose
Corporal

Also I hope if they do add AI later on in the game and NPC companionship then It will be on my wishlist to have relationships with certain NPCs and possibly even a marriage system to add more RPG elements to the game. It's win-win and would add more depth of tact, considering both personal character attachment and immersion. Nothing that would affect gameplay just another way to advance your character because they do want to add AI at some point and also everyone seems to want NPCs.
Old 2012-03-13, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Dreamcast
Major

Simple answer is nowadays people dont care, there was a point when FPS's more and more gore was their only gimmick, but COD changed everything. Specifically now all people care about is there reward for killing a person, not the blood spraying horror show of removing someones head.

Bulletstorm was the perfect culmination of the two. And battlefield 3 you dont even see a thing, which i presonally love. Knife kill animations which could be brutal, are clever quick and silent.

Also failing all those excuses man, think about this. Its easier to beleive a medic patched someone up from a bullet to the chest. Than it is to beleive they patched them up after their limbs landed on another continent.
I say this is true...Way more games these days have Gore..Gears of war,Mass effect,Left 4 dead,etc...At one time Soldier of Fortune was amazing since gore like that didn't really exist..So I guess more people don't care.

Thats why I said that if gore was in the game, it should be something special like still being able to fight even tho your foot got blown up.

As for a medic patching you up...well this the future, it will be cool seeing another foot being grown out of a soldier.

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Really don't want to see people being ripped apart, thanks. If you want to see that, go play killing floor or LFD2 or even enlist.

This game needs as many people as possible, putting random shit in like exploding heads and flying limbs is only going to push the majority of people away.
Huh?...Are you talking about just teens when you say majority of people or are you actually saying full grown adults are turned away in the masses?

Mass effect 3 has heads getting blown off......Sold amazingly...Gears of War has limbs getting blow off, sold amazingly....and the list goes one.

So pushing the majority of people away is just false...unless you mean teens and even then most teens play violent videogames except those with strict parents.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I say this is true...Way more games these days have Gore..Gears of war,Mass effect,Left 4 dead,etc...At one time Soldier of Fortune was amazing since gore like that didn't really exist..So I guess more people don't care.

Thats why I said that if gore was in the game, it should be something special like still being able to fight even tho your foot got blown up.

As for a medic patching you up...well this the future, it will be cool seeing another foot being grown out of a soldier.

Huh?...Are you talking about just teens when you say majority of people or are you actually saying full grown adults are turned away in the masses?

Mass effect 3 has heads getting blown off......Sold amazingly...Gears of War has limbs getting blow off, sold amazingly....and the list goes one.

So pushing the majority of people away is just false...unless you mean teens and even then most teens play violent videogames except those with strict parents.
Gore caters especially to the 12-14 year old demographic that are mesmerized by gore and blood-play. People who actually enjoy video games for their gameplay (the core of PlanetSide players) think that gore is either an option or absolutely unnecessary. It deters from the game. Even in All Points Bulletin, a recently re-released Free-To-Play Cops v Robbers game running on the Unreal engine, there was very little blood splatter. You could see a shot of blood from the bullet exiting the body, but apart from that, nothing major.

Gore in a video game is all about the artistic choices of the developer. In Left 4 Dead, the scene was gritty and zombies don't look pretty. The Boomer exploding was the extent of the gore. If the walls match the drapes than it is fine. In PlanetSide, the walls would not at all match the drapes - the scenery, buildings and everything else are GORGEOUS. Blood and gore wouldn't match the art style.
Old 2012-03-14, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
NCLynx
Major

The people who don't play Planetside 2 because it doesn't have arms/limbs being blown off and gore spraying everywhere are likely the people that I don't want to play with or have as a squad mate. This is all positive for me.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

Ragdoll post-death can actually be pretty easy, from what I understand, because it can all be handled client-side. Once a player is dead, the server doesn't care about him any more, and the PC viewing the dead body falling over can handle the load. The instant a player is dead the server can just tell your PC to render a ragdoll. You might see someone die a bit differently than I do, or land in a different position, but it doesn't matter to the actual gameplay, it's fluff.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

The most immature people play "Mature" rated games.

I consider the teen rating a God send. Hopefully the lack of an M rating will scare off the kiddies and psychopaths who only play a game if there's obsessive gore and swearing.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2012-03-14 at 02:13 AM.
Old 2012-03-14, 01:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Gore caters especially to the 12-14 year old demographic that are mesmerized by gore and blood-play. People who actually enjoy video games for their gameplay (the core of PlanetSide players) think that gore is either an option or absolutely unnecessary. It deters from the game. Even in All Points Bulletin, a recently re-released Free-To-Play Cops v Robbers game running on the Unreal engine, there was very little blood splatter. You could see a shot of blood from the bullet exiting the body, but apart from that, nothing major.

Gore in a video game is all about the artistic choices of the developer. In Left 4 Dead, the scene was gritty and zombies don't look pretty. The Boomer exploding was the extent of the gore. If the walls match the drapes than it is fine. In PlanetSide, the walls would not at all match the drapes - the scenery, buildings and everything else are GORGEOUS. Blood and gore wouldn't match the art style.
lol...not sure if srs.

Yeah man...Im sure the developers of Mass effect and skyrim put gore just to get the important 12-14 years olds excited...otherwise....They wouldn't.

In case you didn't know, people older than 14 buy those games.

and Mass effect and skyrim are as artistic as Planetside, so I really don't know what you are talking about here.

What do you mean core Planetside players?....Im pretty damn sure the core planetside players have played mass effect and skyrim....and Im sure that Planetside developers want players who play mainstream games like mass effect and skyrim to play planetside...so yeah I have no idea what you are talking about.

Seems like you just associate gore with 12 year old's since they like gore, when reality is, most adults buy gore games.

The real reason I see no gore being in game is so 12 year olds who you hate can play this game since it will get a T rating...and because of technical difficulties.

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
The people who don't play Planetside 2 because it doesn't have arms/limbs being blown off and gore spraying everywhere are likely the people that I don't want to play with or have as a squad mate. This is all positive for me.

I never met a person in my life who doesn't play a game because no arms/limbs are being blown off....never heard of one in the internet.

You need to learn a little bit more about your fellow human beings
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion