[Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's what's in the water.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-25, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: [Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse?

The OP is on a lame selfish personal crusade.

EVEYBODY owns a KBM - if they want to hook it up to the PS4 to play Planetside - let them.
Old 2013-06-25, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: [Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse?

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
To keep it real guys, I seriously doudt if PS2 on PS4 is anything like the PC version. It wont have as many features and will probably play like PS1 in its early days.
Do you follow devs posts at all?

Its going to be pretty much the same game mostly for ease of development.
Old 2013-06-25, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ozziewolf View Post
No it shouldn't. If Keyboard and Mouse are implemented for PS2 on PS4 the game will be dead on arrival.

Also saying that you can get a keyboard and mouse to compete isn't going to fly. If conole players wanted to play like they're on a PC they would get a PC.
Exactly. Most people seem to equate multiple input with higher population, and it's not as straightforward as that.

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I think that's good news. I think we should keep our community intact and pops high.
It won't lead to a higher population, it will lead to a smaller one. You're not going to get very far if you choose to screw over your main demographic.

Take a look at my thread for elaboration: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/.../#post-1905141

Originally Posted by snafus View Post
I'm more curious if they are getting a built in aim bot as most console shooters have.
That's another one of the issues. Aim assist is shit, and is only really needed for games that sell themselves as being close-quarter, twitch-gameplay shooters. If you add KBM, you need to crank up the aim assist for controller-users to level the playing field. And this probably won't be enough, you will also have to restrict the KBM to some degree.

Originally Posted by GreyFrog View Post
I vote for player freedom, it should support as many input options as possible.
And what if said freedom leads to a drastic decrease in the overall population?

Last edited by Memeotis; 2013-06-25 at 06:06 PM.
Old 2013-06-25, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

I say they should use Atari controllers only. Two buttons and a joystick!
Old 2013-06-25, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
I say they should use Atari controllers only. Two buttons and a joystick!
Pah! Screw joysticks!

Old 2013-06-25, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
The OP is on a lame selfish personal crusade.

EVEYBODY owns a KBM - if they want to hook it up to the PS4 to play Planetside - let them.
Call it what you will, I guess I'm just so interested in this game that I don't want it to niche'ify itself, by making the same mistakes that Dust514 did.

Also, you are completely missing the point. Yeah, I have a keyboard and mouse, if I didn't, I could go buy one for next to no money, but I don't want that - I didn't buy a console to play using a KBM. I bought a console because my situation makes me favor what a console can bring me: an even playing field, without me having to sit by a desk.

There are many reasons why people choose to buy consoles instead of PCs, and one of the main ones is because they want to use a controller - not necessarily because they can't use a KBM - but because they don't want/have a desk, or simply because they want to sit on the couch.
Old 2013-06-25, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

I'm pretty sure that you WILL be able to use a mouse and keyboard regardless of what anyone here thinks because you could do it with a PS3, or so I've heard.

Personally, if I get forced to buy a PS4, it BETTER support M+KB for all my games.
Old 2013-06-25, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Pah! Screw joysticks!

Old 2013-06-25, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
And what if said freedom leads to a drastic decrease in the overall population?
You haven't explained how this would work, or given any evidence to base your opinions.

In general, I don't have a console because I dislike the controller for FPS. I would really like to grab a PS4 and Destiny, but only if I can use KBM otherwise I won't enjoy playing. There is already an option for people who like using the joysticks.

How would you even know your opponent isnt using the game pad? Unless they were actively bragging.

I can use the same points as you and come to the opposite conclusion. More input options means more players...... its all a bit silly to argue over until we see some numbers.

Last edited by GreyFrog; 2013-06-25 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2013-06-25, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

You haven't explained how this would work, or given any evidence to base your opinions.

In general, I don't have a console because I dislike the controller for FPS. I would really like to grab a PS4 and Destiny, but only if I can use KBM otherwise I won't enjoy playing. There is already an option for people who like using the joysticks.

How would you even know your opponent isnt using the game pad? Unless they were actively bragging.

I can use the same points as you and come to the opposite conclusion. More input options means more players...... its all a bit silly to argue over until we see some numbers.
It's not a matter of knowing whether or not the person who just killed you actually uses a KBM or not, it's a matter of knowing that you are at a disadvantage by default unless you use a KBM. And many people have bought a console, to circumvent the need for a KBM.

As for proof, I have no numbers. What I can say, however, is that if there was any net increase in player numbers by allowing KBM to be used in FPS games on console, why haven't any of the other triple As tried to reach them? If there is truly an opportunity, why doesn't BF3 and MW3 have KBM support?

Who would this demographic be? Who would buy a console specifically to play FPS using a KBM? Very, very few. Dust 514 is unique, because it is connected to a universe with a huge PC community, but only exists on PS3. However, aside from this group of people, who else would play an FPS using KBM on a console? The only other group that can think of are people who have bought a console to play non-FPS games, but prefer to play FPS using a mouse and keyboard, in other words, people who view the genre as secondary and are therefore not as significant.
Old 2013-06-25, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

And many people have bought a console, to circumvent the need for a KBM.

Who would this demographic be? Who would buy a console specifically to play FPS using a KBM? Very, very few.

The only other group that can think of are people who have bought a console to play non-FPS games, but prefer to play FPS using a mouse and keyboard, in other words, people who view the genre as secondary and are therefore not as significant.
These are all silly assumptions, the first one is ludicrous. The average consumer takes none of these things into consideration when purchasing a console.

We are not average consumers. KBM support caters to a niche market, which is why other AAA titles dont do it. An additional control scheme requires additional resources to implement and support. I fully understand why it doesnt happen for consoles, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt like to see it.
Old 2013-06-26, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
I'm pretty sure that you WILL be able to use a mouse and keyboard regardless of what anyone here thinks because you could do it with a PS3, or so I've heard.

Personally, if I get forced to buy a PS4, it BETTER support M+KB for all my games.
How would you be forced to buy a console? If you want to use KBM, you already have an alternative. If you want to talk about people being forced, you can only talk about the console players who don't want to be at a disadvantage and therefore have to buy a KBM and re-arrange their setup/room. And in this case you present those who don't want to be at a disadvantage with a dilemma; change the way you play on your console, or don't play the game. Many will choose the latter.
Old 2013-06-26, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

These are all silly assumptions, the first one is ludicrous. The average consumer takes none of these things into consideration when purchasing a console.

We are not average consumers. KBM support caters to a niche market, which is why other AAA titles dont do it. An additional control scheme requires additional resources to implement and support. I fully understand why it doesnt happen for consoles, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt like to see it.
Hardly. I've been in many discussions with PC gamers who simply don't understand why anyone would choose to play on a console in general. The PC can already do everything and more, and in the case of FPS, its better. The reasons are too numerous - they argue - to justify using a console. And in many cases they are right.

So to find out why people actually choose to play FPS on the console, you have to understand in what ways the console is superior. And the biggest, most appealing factor is that it console allows for an even playing field, while still giving you the flexibility of the controller. And by flexibility, I am referring to the fact that you can sit anywhere with it, and that you can easily play with multiple friends on the same screen. The PC cannot give you this combination. If you pick up a controller, you are not on an even playing field anymore.
Old 2013-06-26, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Crator
Major General

There are many reasons why people choose to buy consoles instead of PCs, and one of the main ones is because they want to use a controller - not necessarily because they can't use a KBM - but because they don't want/have a desk, or simply because they want to sit on the couch.
I call BS on this. ~*News Flash*~ You can hook up a controller and a TV to a PC.

The main reason people buy a console is because it's cheaper then a PC.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-26 at 08:02 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Ozziewolf
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I call BS on this. ~*News Flash*~ You can hook up a controller and a TV to a PC.

The main reason people buy a console is because it's cheaper then a PC.
Except using a controller on a PC puts you at an extreme disadvantage which is why people who prefer controllers tend to stick to consoles. I use a controller when playing privately with friends on the PC to make the fights sporting for them as I play at a reduced level. I'm good with both Keyboard/Mouse and a Controller.

People buying consoles because of price is an assumption that isn't correct. Sure price may be a factor but it's not necessarily the primary reason people get consoles.
People play on consoles because they prefer the controller, the controlled environment (little to no cheating), and the social aspect of it. Also with console gaming parents have an easier time keeping an eye on their kids. That is probably the biggest draw back to consoles is all of the kids you encounter.

In my case I made the switch from being a PC gamer to almost exclusive console gaming when my wife and I started a family. It's more convenient and I'm more accessible.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion