Inventory Management - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place where a Hamma isn't a tool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-06-30, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Inventory Management

Originally Posted by SRxRedshift View Post
If you could only carry HA or AV everyone would be in a MAX, no one will choose AV over HA
on a side note paperdolls are horrible,
Of course they would, and they did before everyone could afford everything.
Old 2011-06-30, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

So what happens to sniping?
I suppose it's limited to REXO if agile isn't allowed to carry the larger weapons. I suppose it wouldn't be a disaster, but I did enjoy my air cav II + med assault/sniping to perfectly fit my 11 reserve certs. The 11 cert limit wouldn't specifically be a problem in PS 2, but I'm sure I'd have better things to pay for than 8 certs to snipe, and also not being able to fly while doing so.

Also, what happens to the glue gun?

That being said, I do like the idea of taking large slots off agile, I just can't see a scenario where someone would cert sniping over HA or AV.

Perhaps a different method of limiting what a soldier can carry: weight. AV and HA weapons just weigh too much for the agile suit's holster, but a sniper rifle or glue gun, while still taking up a large slot, don't weigh too much to carry.

This would allow the devs to tweak the weights of the individual guns to determine whether they can be used by soldiers.
Old 2011-06-30, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
I just can't see a scenario where someone would cert sniping over HA or AV.
*Puts hand in the air*

I can only imagine this in relation to the original Planetside, but restricting snipers to rexo would not only kill my beloved tree sniping, but make field sniping torturous as well.
Old 2011-06-30, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Well thats all well and good when you are calmly getting your load-out set in the safety of the spawn room in the Sanc, but there's more to it than that.

What would Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny say? Imagine you're a TR soldier and you are walking along, the sun is shining on your goggled face, there's a nice cool breeze. Then you see backpack on the ground. You could use some extra ammo, so you are in luck. You just gently reach down and start rummaging through the backpack, selecting the things you want to take with you when BAM!! A fuckin' bullet rips off part of your head. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces.

Now I ask ya, would you give a fuck what kind of pants the son-of-a-bitch who shot you was wearing? And don't you think there should be a more efficient way of organizing your stuff so it doesn't take a week to loot a backpack?
I hardly ever loot a backpack unless it's for the fun toys. In that case it takes me two seconds to hot-swap stuff out. And if it's ever because I'm out of ammo, then clearly my own backpack is empty. So... yeah it comes right over.
Old 2011-06-30, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Of course they would, and they did before everyone could afford everything.
I've never certed AV before HA, reason being an AP HA still works for killing maxes, AV doesn't work on squishes

actually thats a lie, i used to have AV certed instead of the lasher on my VS toon, but thats when the lancer was a laser sniper rifle.... and that was just fun as hell
Old 2011-06-30, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I hardly ever loot a backpack unless it's for the fun toys. In that case it takes me two seconds to hot-swap stuff out. And if it's ever because I'm out of ammo, then clearly my own backpack is empty. So... yeah it comes right over.
Well there are people like me that suck at hotswapping. Sometimes you click 1 square too low or too high and grab the wrong thing which totally scrambles your whole inventory, so you have to put things back in place where they will fit. All the while you are standing in the middle of the forest looking down at the ground like some freaking emo kid.

I just like the OP idea because it adds a layer of customization while not looking too complicated. However who knows how they will deal with inventory in the sequel.
Old 2011-06-30, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I'm just going to raise a point that has been oddly overlooked.

If you're in the middle of a goddamn WAR, should you really be looking in the guy's backpack for goodies while bullets are flying all around you?

There's a certain amount of situational awareness that should be expected from people. It's called common sense. Don't loot a backpack if the lead is flying. And if a guy comes around a corner unexpectedly? Well that's just bad luck. Unless of course you want to just walk over stuff and pick it up automatically.
Old 2011-06-30, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raymac
Brigadier General

If you're in the middle of a goddamn WAR, should you really be looking in the guy's backpack for goodies while bullets are flying all around you?
I'm not looking for condoms or candy. If I'm looting a backpack, it means I am out of ammo and have limited options:
1) Stand there and look pretty
2) Run headlong into the enemy lines with just my knife.
3) Pick up ammo laying on the ground, reload, and fire.

Call me an idiot, but I've done them all and option #3 looks the best to me.
Old 2011-06-30, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

I've never certed AV before HA, reason being an AP HA still works for killing maxes, AV doesn't work on squishes.
By that reasoning you could use MA to take on the squishies. Then cert AV. Cause av works on vehicles but your ap ammo doesnt....well it does but you need 5000 rounds to do anything. And you can kill a max with av, and you can do it with AP ammo but 95% chance you are dead that way. MA fills the squishie killing role FAR better than AP ammo fills the AV role.
Old 2011-07-01, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm not looking for condoms or candy. If I'm looting a backpack, it means I am out of ammo and have limited options:
1) Stand there and look pretty
2) Run headlong into the enemy lines with just my knife.
3) Pick up ammo laying on the ground, reload, and fire.

Call me an idiot, but I've done them all and option #3 looks the best to me.
4) Go back to an equipment terminal to resupply
Old 2011-07-01, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Raymac
Brigadier General

4) Go back to an equipment terminal to resupply
Well yeah, if you happen to be nearby. Generally, by the time I run out of ammo, I've advanced far enough away from a terminal where it would be alot faster to just die and respawn than it would be to run alllll the way back.
Old 2011-07-01, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

So what happens to sniping?
I suppose it's limited to REXO if agile isn't allowed to carry the larger weapons.
In my scheme bolt driver would be, while the HSR would be able to be carried by agile/standard.

Perhaps a different method of limiting what a soldier can carry: weight. AV and HA weapons just weigh too much for the agile suit's holster, but a sniper rifle or glue gun, while still taking up a large slot, don't weigh too much to carry.

This would allow the devs to tweak the weights of the individual guns to determine whether they can be used by soldiers.
Just tweak the holster size of the images; same thing just uses a system that seems to be almost in game anyway.

I've never certed AV before HA, reason being an AP HA still works for killing maxes, AV doesn't work on squishes
Again HA doesn't let you handle vehicles while AV obviously does. I only cert HA when I get too annoyed at being dominated at close range, and I would never drop AV for it.
Old 2011-07-01, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I do wonder if the inventory system could be improved; at the very least I feel that Standard and Light armour should have a "short" carbine holster instead of the "long" rifle holster; restricting them to MA and SA weapons rather than current HA or AV, while rexo could equip the bulkier weapons.

That way Rexo is the choice for dedicated infantry, while Agile is there for vehicle drivers.
The restriction should be on the gun fitting into the drivers seat/cockpit. Not the weapon can't be used in the armor.

"You cannot enter the cockpit with a Lancer on your back. Please store it in the trunk or discard it"

Same for cloaking, tbh.. A restriction saying a cloaking suit can't cloak with a large weapon is sensible. A restriction saying a person in a cloaking suit can't hold a weapon is not.
Old 2011-07-01, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Aractain
Major

Actually since Planetside 1 uses holsters (on your back and belt), if there is no holster you cannot carry it (because you couldn't use anything else and thus would be dumb).

It does make sense to me.
Old 2011-07-02, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
Actually since Planetside 1 uses holsters (on your back and belt), if there is no holster you cannot carry it (because you couldn't use anything else and thus would be dumb).

It does make sense to me.
Yeah, this was my reasoning.

Dvidd can you explain what you mean by "Just tweak the holster size of the images"?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion