Character Wipe - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you wish to pre-order Planetside: Core-Combat?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-16, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

Re: Character Wipe

I appreciate all the responses. I too feel that beta stats and certs should be wiped. I was just wondering more for being able to keep your name. I figure since it's F2P that they may come in with some sort of deal with membership or something that allows a few days early access and to keep your name like The Secret World and other MMO's have been doing on release lately to create increased revenues.
Old 2012-07-16, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ganymede
Contributor
Private

The only game I have ever see not do a wipe from any stage of beta to live was Tribes ascend... Of course they were charging you money for upgrades during beta so how could they do a wipe? This is way to massive I would expect several wipes ecspecially when large patches come in to help stability.

And Higby/AGN team brought up Name reserves on the video the other day. It sounds like something they will investigate but is not confirmed.

Last edited by Ganymede; 2012-07-16 at 09:44 PM.
Old 2012-07-17, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
of course they should wipe, even open beta should be wiped. cant have people starting out with better certs than others when game launches
I really dont think it matters.

Just remember this: no matter how many points you have, someone somewhere will always be willing to pay cash for a small army of Chinese guys to level up their character. You cannot compete with that, no matter how many precious little weeks of beta you got to play for.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hackx
Contributor
Private

What it comes down to is if we will be testing the store with real money. If they give us "fake" Station Cash to test the store in beta then there's a good chance we will get wiped. However, if we spend real money on stuff, there is no way those purchases will be wiped.

I can see them wiping cert points, perhaps, but anything you have purchased would stay with you into release.
Old 2012-07-17, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
OutlawSZ
Private

Why do I recall getting to keep my name out of ps1 beta. Or maybe it was a br15 rank. God its been so long...but we got to keep something..just cant be sure as to what anymore.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Draz
Private

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
But what if in the beta you got an insane amount of exp for something trivial like hacking, or killing people with grenades or any arbitrary condition, and as a result make characters have been exp padded to silly levels?

The entire cert tree and process is subject to change anyway. You'll have to start afresh on the new and updated trees and exp system in the live game.
If there are major changes in the open beta then there will be a wipe. But typically when a game goes into open beta it is just in nearly finished promotional demo mode anyway.
Old 2012-07-18, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Tribes: Ascend was more of a soft launch, even towards the end of closed beta, anyone who wanted to play could get their hands on a key.
Old 2012-07-19, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DukeTerror View Post
Well the argument the Devs make is that more certs and battle rank does not make you a better than a new player. That would apply to why it wouldn't matter to wipe open beta players. There will likely be wipes during the beta, but the last week or so should be safe and worth letting beta testers keep. Especially if they start testing the store and players start buying things.

From the interviews I've seen, it seems they are leaning more towards this ^^^
Old 2012-07-20, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Kezz
Sergeant

It's a beta test. Expect wipes and reset during the process. Expect Cert points to be dished out like candy so we can try and minimax the system til it breaks. Expect to be required to try certain cert combinations, or have cert packages added to your (everyone's) characters for testing.

Expect it all to go away at the end.
Old 2012-07-21, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
kaibutzu
Private

apb tribes tera c9 thats just a few i found on google but ye there has ben a lot more then that thats not wiped, guys remember this is not a p2p game
Old 2012-07-23, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Novice bot
Sergeant

A lot of F2P have not wiped peoples progression in CBT/OBT, mainly because the cash shops have been open, and those who have purchased items would lose their money. I for one am willing to participate in trying the cash shop out by purchasing something, but I seriously wouldn't do it if I had my progression wiped at release.

Look at Dota 2 for example, they are actually selling closed beta invites, and that has been completely acceptable so far. Not to mention Tribes, even with all the exploits has kept peoples progression.
Old 2012-07-26, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Tsunami
Corporal

Tribes Ascend and APB:Reloaded did the same thing
Old 2012-07-26, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hamma
PSU Admin

Smed confirmed today on Twitter there will be a wipe.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-26, 08:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Smed confirmed today on Twitter there will be a wipe.
In which phase? Closed beta, it makes sense. Open betas never really wipe with seldom few exceptions, one big one being any exploits that pushed players far in their game careers in a relatively short span of time. Being in "beta" that kind of problem is a free pass for a wipe, but in "release" that's a no-no.

Further, SOE can not, under any circumstances, order people to focus on precisely what they want people to play test. It just won't happen. What's the consequence for disobeying them? One loses their FREE account? Oh, shucks... just go make another one.

Open beta in an F2P is essentially synonymous with being released. If people show up to the open beta late, it's their balance problem, not SOE's. People will show up after release too, when many people already have plenty of certs and experience under their belt.

Long post made short: There would have to be a good reason to wipe everyone's open beta progress going into release if closed beta progress was wiped.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-26 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2012-09-16, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
SoUnreal
Private

Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
of course they should wipe, even open beta should be wiped. cant have people starting out with better certs than others when game launches
What difference does it make if the game is balanced? Would you wipe everything every time there's an influx of new players?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions