News: PlanetSide 2 eSports Details from MLG - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: dirt > mold > vanu
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-17, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Re: PlanetSide 2 eSports Details from MLG

Still very few details to say if this will work. 50v50 ain't gonna cut it.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Interesting. Hope these ladders and layouts cater for smaller more skilled outfits.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
When your primary part of the game is playing in the equivilent of instanced arenas, you relinquish your right to have an opinion on anything on the main game.
This isnt even possible.

You cannot enter the instance alone. You HAVE to play the real game in order to be put on the leaderboards.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SwiftRanger
Private

I can understand Outfits needed some incentives but this wasn't the solution I had hoped for. It's probably the easiest way out for SOE but Outfit-owned bases/carriers and metagame improvements should be the main priority.

I really hope this e-sports thing isn't taking many resources away from the main game because the latter still needs a ton of work (and some actual realization or vision of certain wild ideas which were proposed some time ago, even by the devs themselves) to remain interesting in the long run. Don't forget that, SOE.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Selerox
Sergeant

eSports isn't why people play PS2. We want scale. We want scope.

We don't want a crappy mechanic to cater for egotistical eSport wannabes who will demand the game become something that it's not.

So instead of using the effort and resources to actually fix and improve the game you have, you're going to create a whole new tier of the game to cater for the exact kind of people that lots of players picked up PS2 to avoid?

Wrong. Answer.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

I'm not interested in playing and I suppose this is taking developer time away from building new continents and as such I don't want it, but other than that, don't care.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SwiftRanger View Post
I can understand Outfits needed some incentives but this wasn't the solution I had hoped for. It's probably the easiest way out for SOE but Outfit-owned bases/carriers and metagame improvements should be the main priority.

I really hope this e-sports thing isn't taking many resources away from the main game because the latter still needs a ton of work (and some actual realization or vision of certain wild ideas which were proposed some time ago, even by the devs themselves) to remain interesting in the long run. Don't forget that, SOE.
Originally Posted by Selerox View Post
eSports isn't why people play PS2. We want scale. We want scope.

We don't want a crappy mechanic to cater for egotistical eSport wannabes who will demand the game become something that it's not.

So instead of using the effort and resources to actually fix and improve the game you have, you're going to create a whole new tier of the game to cater for the exact kind of people that lots of players picked up PS2 to avoid?

Wrong. Answer.
these two, pretty much. I honestly don't want to deal with the kinds of players this shit attracts.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Firejack
Private

Can't say it interests me at all. I don't feel any enjoyment watching others play. And I don't have the time to commit to practising tactics and strategies to a competitive level.

Still if it widens the appeal of PlanetSide, brings in new players, more money and therefore more development in the game. I have no problem with the idea and hope it'll be a success
Old 2013-03-17, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
these two, pretty much. I honestly don't want to deal with the kinds of players this shit attracts.
SO, you dont want to deal with players like you?

Would you fools get a clue about the topic please? Esports dont atract a certain kind of player. There is no certain kind of esport player to begin with.

What the hell are you guys even mad about? You get more players = more cash for SOE = they can put more support down for PS2.
Old 2013-03-17, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rothnang
Major

Honestly, I find that extremely boring. What's the point of having esports in Planetside when the rabble doesn't get to charge the field?

The thing that would have made this entertaining is if everyone could have interfered.
Old 2013-03-17, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by basti View Post
SO, you dont want to deal with players like you?

Would you fools get a clue about the topic please? Esports dont atract a certain kind of player. There is no certain kind of esport player to begin with.

What the hell are you guys even mad about? You get more players = more cash for SOE = they can put more support down for PS2.
Usually they are highly competitive, and bigger assholes than even i am. (basically, the COD/BF crowd that hates mmos)

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-17, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ghnurbles
Private

Personally, I'd love to watch some highly competitive PS2. I strongly disagree with weapons restrictions, though (it would be bizarre for players not to be able to play with their favourite weapons, and it would feel like you're not watching the same game).

For those that don't want to watch it, it still has benefits. E-sports has a wide audience, so this will function as a strong advertising campaign (if done well, at least). Bringing new players into the game and giving existing players a reason play more often and more competitively is not a bad thing.
Old 2013-03-17, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Pella
Captain

I am glad that they have gone for balanced weapon setups.

While i hope that they stick to Squad v Squad. And another option for platoon v platoon. For the sake of the spectator really. As much as FNO is fun its confusing and hard to see whats going on.

Things will get intresting. But i sure hope they have a separate ladder for EU/US. As EU players are generally better at FPSs for some reason.

And the haters that dont want Esports. PS1 was played purely outfit v outfit at its height of enjoyment. Same shit different game.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-03-17 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2013-03-17, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Stanis
Master Sergeant

My grudge with eSports and instances .. if they took development time away from additional continents or any of the other features we've been begging for - it's a bad thing.

Can't say I care about eSports personally.
I'm sure it will very much be the focus of some outfits and many players.

I don't get why you'd watch people play a game instead of play the game yourself.
Old 2013-03-17, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

We already know they can do a base instance, that was the fist look I ever saw of ps2. As far as esports go, heroes will be born in the reguar game. These heroes will be flagged to go into the esports arena and fight for their empires for glory and a little bit of cashola. I am really lookin forward to seeing these heroes play and I hope that some of them will come from my server connery.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion