Customization Woes - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: > Planetside.com
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-03, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
DayOne
Captain

Re: Customization Woes

Originally Posted by ITOS View Post
I always wondered why VS would care about camouflage. Actually I find it funny how in many sci fi games (eg Crysis and Halo) military gear has these glowing bits on them. Not very practical. :S
Things like this confuse me. It's like how in splinter cell Sam Fisher is somehow completely invisible even with the three bright green lamps stuck to his forehead.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
So, if camo patterns work in today's military why shouldn't they on Auraxis?
3D spotting.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Well guys I was hoping this subject would come up. The outfit I am with is a warhammer 40k gaming community, and truthfully we intend on doing a slight rewrite of PS2 history and going with an alternate RP experience. But for immersion we are going to need some pretty incredible customisation. Im not talking adding a infrared heat seeking red dot sight on your sniper rifle either, we need skins.
Old 2012-05-03, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Pozidriv
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Well guys I was hoping this subject would come up. The outfit I am with is a warhammer 40k gaming community, and truthfully we intend on doing a slight rewrite of PS2 history and going with an alternate RP experience. But for immersion we are going to need some pretty incredible customisation. Im not talking adding a infrared heat seeking red dot sight on your sniper rifle either, we need skins.
This right here got me thinking... What about mercenary subfactions in PS2 as lore explanation for new skins for soldiers?

Tribes: Ascend had a new patch called, Raid and Pillage that added 2 new skins for a class called Raider.

This is how the old raider looks like

And here are the new skins that were added, the lad on the forefront is ye olde mercenary for hire and the guy on the back is more of a freelance hooligan.

Your thoughts about this type of customization?
Old 2012-05-03, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
3D spotting.
Hopefully it will not be too simple to spot someone so there's still a chance not to get noticed by wearing camo.
Old 2012-05-03, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kipper
Captain

Camo will be cosmetic only, because it will be for sale, and if it creates any significant advantage, then its pay to win.

Besides that, its a great item to sell - and it means we get to play what will be an awesome game for free (or at least on our own terms) and that is something to be supported imo.

And yeah, co-ordinated outfits with co-ordinated outfits (so to speak) will be sweet.
Old 2012-05-03, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

Got to say I am not a huge fan of customization either in any game but alas these are the cards we are dealt in modern gaming. Is what it is

As long as people can't buy the PWNSAUCE MKII ASSAULT RIFLE WITH RPG ATTACHMENT then I am ok with it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-03, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Mod
Master Sergeant

Probably worth bearing in mind too, that the limited camo patterns we have seen so far are probably not final like almost everything else we have seen.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

They promised they wouldn't do that.

Also, those camo patterns will blend perfectly with the terrain they are meant to be used in. Plus, we haven't gotten in beta to test any of this stuff yet to give official feedback of what it looks like from your perspective in game.

They could even eventually take it out.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Got to say I am not a huge fan of customization either in any game
I like to customise, but only where it makes sense. Same goes for product placement and advertising etc too. I don't think its such a sad state of affairs if it brings down the cost of buying games or playing online; or puts the spending on your terms at least.

It also helps provide some depth and uniqueness then that's a good thing. I might spend a little bit of cash on some cool looking camoflage, or scope for my gun - but I really don't want to see people running around in indian style feather head garments or dressed as a giant hot dog, at least not in PS2 anyway.

I used to play PotBS. That was good for the fact that you could design your own logos, but they had to be in keeping with the theme to get into the game.
Old 2012-05-03, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

I personally don't like the camo patterns. They seem out of place for Planetside and clash with the faction colors. I'm fine most any other customization though as long as it fits Planetside's style. Think of how they did the armor system in halo reach. Link
Old 2012-05-03, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Im willing to spend at least 20 dollars US for a Vanu skull to hang from my belt. The same for a skull faced helmet. Im not asking for for the BFG pwnser, we just want to achieve a certain look.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-03, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Customization is truly about making a gaming experience your own. Customization will be as much about looks as it will be playstyle. Maybe you won't want the camo pattern, but a different type of scope. More options is never a bad thing!
Old 2012-05-03, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Red and Black. As long as everything I own/wear is Red and Black, I am happy.

Edit.. I think this post was the 100,000th post on the PS2 Discussion.

Last edited by SniperSteve; 2012-05-03 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Graywolves
General

I love character customization, like appearance.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion