Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: .... and why am I covered in ants?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-08, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I still really don't know why SoE doesn't back up software protection with a legal one. Surely if someone intentionally and repeatedly damages your product you can take legal redress?
This is akin to the RIAA suing 12 years olds. I would rather they pay coders the to constantly evolve anti-cheat methods than pay lawyers to sue script kiddies.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-08, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

You know what helps find cheaters? a kill cam *runs away and hides while maniacally laughing*
Old 2012-03-08, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
You know what helps find cheaters? a kill cam *runs away and hides while maniacally laughing*
obvious cheaters*

And you can spot those without kill cams
Old 2012-03-08, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Ahahaha, yup.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
UnknownDT
Sergeant

No reason to hide. I'll find you.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
This is akin to the RIAA suing 12 years olds. I would rather they pay coders the to constantly evolve anti-cheat methods than pay lawyers to sue script kiddies.
And the company that develops and markets cheating s/w?
Old 2012-03-08, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ThGlump
Captain

But not that one you showed us at GDC. next try...
Old 2012-03-08, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
duomaxwl
Captain

Didn't they say they would have an internal anti-hacker team? hopefully if they get passed PB those guys will be on the ball.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 2012-03-08, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
And the company that develops and markets cheating s/w?
Ok, I'll give on that one, they might be worth suing into oblivion. However, cheat websites are like pirates, kill one, and another comes online to replace it. Usually the same guys/hacks hiding behind different company.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Markn
Private

Well currently the launchpad for SOE games scans for hacks and scans game exes for injected modules so that should help vs the average hacker.

The easiest way ? Require the launchpad to be running to run the game not just to start it. This way it can scan the exe randomly whenever it wants for people hacking (its very easy to detect if someone loads a dll into the exe that the game itself isnt suppose to load). For people who dont know how programming and hacking works for any auto aim to function or say an increased speed hack you would need to interface with the game client and read/manipulate data. Hackers will update and find ways around it, but if you have teams updating and scanning for hacks tracking them down should take days not weeks.

Are there ways around this ? Sure we all know for every anti hack fix you can always find a way to beat it.

Last edited by Markn; 2012-03-08 at 01:32 PM.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
MyMeatStick
Sergeant

Add a spectator mode for GM's. One where the viewer can see from a first person view of the player, That would make it alot easier to police.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

My experience with Punkbuster is that it isn't that bad, just a bit of a hassle.

Certainly not a gamebreaker, but if it helps prevent amateur hackers then be my guest.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sifer2
Major

Good lord. And to think for a bit I was actually kind of believing what others were saying with how they had proprietary anti-cheat in place, and that hackers would not be a problem despite it being Free 2 Play.

This game is going to get hit hard by hackers. I really hope they consider what I said once about a server for subscribers only. It would be nice to have some refuge from the hackers. Just do it please. If the server dies from low population then the experiment failed but at least give us the chance to play the game without so much hacks.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Graywolves
General

I hate you

We find cheaters in PS1 without it. It's just that the system in place doesn't work and bans more honest players than hackers.

I remember Punkbuster kept kicking me in BF2142 for no particular reason... I seriously never knew why I wasn't allowed to play anymore, it just blocked me from every game.
Old 2012-03-08, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I remember Punkbuster kept kicking me in BF2142 for no particular reason... I seriously never knew why I wasn't allowed to play anymore, it just blocked me from every game.
That problem was so simple to fix though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion