Are claymores too visible? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dont touch my Cyssor!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-09-10, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: Are claymores too visible?

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Going from the ratio of kills I get to the number of claymores I lay I would say the answer is no.
Unfortunately, your ratio doesn't match up to everyones.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZX0cxQmc#gid=0

NC betty 84084

VS prox 97648

TR claymore 38887

I got to say, the reason I DIDN'T go for claymore and went for anti tank mines instead is because they're more visible. Even without the light they're still taller then the other mines, meaning you don't have to look at the floor to detect them. Maybe an extended detection/blast in the direction of the light would help balance it and put it on par with the other mines.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-09-10 at 07:14 AM.
Old 2013-09-10, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Personally I'd prefer to have access to claymores as an NC engineer (or a choice between) - most of the time I'm looking to damage players enough for the heavies to mop up after and stall the advance; I don't feel the betties match up in how discretely you can locate them. Then again maybe I just don't care about kills.
Old 2013-09-10, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Reithan
Corporal

If the overall AREA hit by the mines was all the same, that would be great. As it stands right now, as far as I can tell by the graphics posted earlier in this thread, between the betty and the prox, one is actually larger, though they have pretty much the same functionality, meaning the smaller one is OBJECTIVELY worse, and the claymore is like 1/4 the size of the other AND taller, AND has glowing lights, making it OBJECTIVELY a laughingstock. That said, I STILL get kill about 45-50% of the time with mine, so people need to watch where they're going.
Old 2013-09-10, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Canaris
Contributor
General

well the way I look at it is, they gave the VS & NC great anti-personnel mines and gave us a real shitty one, then they gave us the Striker to make up for it, so on balance we're square

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-09-10, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SerethiX
Corporal

Canaris. You are so fucking damn right XD

But also it is my experience, it's harder to avoid Betty's and the other shitty mines, if you play on low, it doesn't matter, but mid to high it is mostly the light that says, hi, don't go there, I'm a mine...

Try one time to play on low, you see infis a lot easier and the mines are almost invisible ..

P.s. the NC and vs mines glitch trough stairs!

SerethiX - www.serethi.de
Old 2013-09-10, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bulltahr
Corporal

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
C'mon Bulltahr... you gotta share

Where do you place them.. whats your trick?
PM sent, now if you use any of those tricks then you must join the Drunken Legion when you are ready to join an outfit. Once a member I will give you some more to use.

We need more BR50 players as it is.
Old 2013-09-10, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by Bulltahr View Post
PM sent, now if you use any of those tricks then you must join the Drunken Legion when you are ready to join an outfit. Once a member I will give you some more to use.

We need more BR50 players as it is.

Thanks for the PM and Ive sent you one back.

Im happy to join up - who to I talk too?
Old 2013-09-10, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bulltahr
Corporal

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
Thanks for the PM and Ive sent you one back.

Im happy to join up - who to I talk too?
Click on my sig block to get to our website, in-game look for Boots or myself Bulltahr1

I'm on in mornings ATM .

Link not working, sorry,
go here:http://www.drunkenlegion.co.nz

Last edited by Bulltahr; 2013-09-10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 2013-09-16, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

I'll have to disagree about being able to see infils on low easier. I was playing on low for awhile to be fully efficient. (Switched back after a month because I'm a sucker for graphics). I can see infils on max setting WAY easier than I ever could on low. I can spot 'em a good 70 yards out if they're moving a lot. Anywhere within 30 yards and they may as well not even be cloaked..

That however is a problem with infilatrators all together. This still won't stop smart infils though.
Old 2013-09-16, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
MGP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
Long story short
NC betty gets a avg 80k kills a week

VS prox gets a avg 90k kills a week

TR claymore gets a avg 35K kills a week
That's only because NC and VS players are MLG PROs, and TR are skilless noobs. Come on, everyone knows that!

Old 2013-09-16, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
ringring
Contributor
General

Well claymores beams have been changed in the latest patch. They are very low key now.

I'm not sure but I think the claymore itself stands up higher (unsure).
Old 2013-09-16, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
MGP
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Well claymores beams have been changed in the latest patch. They are very low key now.

I'm not sure but I think the claymore itself stands up higher (unsure).
Yep. It does. It was "suitcase on the ground" before. Now it's "suitcase on a stick". Also i've noticed what friendly players walking over claymores now hit them causing them to switch direction they're pointing. Not sure if it's only graphic glitch or does it affect blast zone too.
And yet, enemies still can just sprint past lasers, to avoid taking damage.

That being said, i'm not all against TR having more powerful but directional AI mine instead of omni-directional with weaker blast. IF they can make it work!

Last edited by MGP; 2013-09-16 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2013-09-16, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

I hate landmines in FPS games. I want to rant about it but I think it will be like yelling at the wind.

If it were up to me they wouldn't be in the game at all. They're just annoying these days. The mines I usually die to were left by infiltrators in a half abandoned base when my guard is down. That or I know pilots like to leave landmines around towers because it's usually an extra free kill while they're flying around.

Wait no I'm starting to rant, gotta stop myself and just be concise.

Landmines would not be missed if they were removed. They don't change the tide of battle, they just sometimes get the player who puts them down a free kill. Meanwhile the person who dies gets frustrated because you died without fighting anyone. There's no stimulation from landmines. I play to test myself against other players, not crawl around with a knife and a prayer.

Does a giant field of landmines set to deny or slow enemy movement sound cool? Yes, it kind of does. But in practice, it's not really a viable strategy (in game).

C4 gets a pass because it's remote detonation so a player has to see the enemy to blow them up. I'm not a fan of the C4 carpet bomb but it's a necessary evil and you can actively do something about it.

My gripe against landmines carries over into the larger conversation about "fire and forget" weaponry and why in video games it's just so bloody stupid and antithetic to fun.

Old 2013-09-16, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Zadexin
Corporal

I wouldn't mind the lasers so much IF THE DAMN THINGS ACTUALLY WENT OFF! I've seen nc just go Trolloling right over claymores and nothing, its crap. Granted I still use the crap out of them because, well, its all we have got and its a free dead guy when they DO work.
But 9/10 people see them and shoot them before going boom.

How to fix them:
Option 1 - Turn off the stupid green lasers and just make glowy dots on the case like EVERY OTHER FACTION.
OPTION 2 - make the detection range for the mine longer by 1-2 meters and make the directional blast proportionally longer (longer NOT bigger, ie the mine can spot you from farther away and the same damage travels farther)
OPTION 3 - instead of a blast make it shoot pellets out like a shotgun round and fly until it hits something like an actual ranged weapon. That way if you shoot it standing in front, you get a nasty surprise. Makes mining doors useful again.

Last edited by Zadexin; 2013-09-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2013-09-16, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

They seem fixed in the latest patch for me.

They have the same blast range of 6m but maintain damage out further IIRC.

The green lasers are not very obvious anymore, I can put them next to doorways now without issues.

As for not going off, this isnt unique to the claymore. I've run past plenty of betties that don't go off but trigger for the 3rd of 4th person to come through the door. I've also noticed tank mines not triggering. Don't know about US servers but Briggs has been laggy as shit lately so maybe its related.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion