NPC's in planetside? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Any tank can be a minesweeper. Once.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-19, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Re: NPC's in planetside?

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
Well that's why I stated performance, I'm all for performance so if it effected that at all I would not want it but if it didn't and didn't effect the development of the game I would like to see a living environment at the very least not a dead static map when there is no players fighting. I think it would be fun running a deer down with my tank. Or even better running over a human npc just doing his job standing in a base CY some where
The ideal of it is good, it would be pretty funny cloaking and pissing off a few wild beasts,but it's a FPS first and MMORPG second in a way so if they did have it, it's not gonna be for a while maybe ps3
Old 2012-02-19, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
That one noob
Sergeant

I rather have a bunch of datapads which I may find in random parts of the continents if I want some backstory. No to NPCs due to them being unnecessary and detracting from the core game mechanic, which is widespread, territorial war via combined arms.

Last edited by That one noob; 2012-02-19 at 04:48 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mirror
First Sergeant

yes let's add npcs and orcs and a dragon.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-19, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
yes let's add npcs and orcs and a dragon.
We had dragons, they breathed fire!
Old 2012-02-19, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Let's have pet monkeys!!! ...... Or we could have chickens with bombs!?!?

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-19 at 05:08 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

What about a player controlled NPC ?

Name of the game ? Timed survival !
Old 2012-02-19, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
ringring
Contributor
General

Ohhhh, you certainly hit a nerve here!

I say no, reasons:
1. It's not planetside
2. If there are npc animals moving about someone in my vehicle will shoot them when I want then to shoot the enemy (or keep quiet for a stealthy approach)
3. Performance. Will 1 more NPC mean 1 less RL person on the server, or at least a little bit worse performance that we would otherwise get?
4. It will give Smedley ideas.
Old 2012-02-19, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I want a little pet midged that i can send into a door of an enemy base to check if its safe.
Old 2012-02-19, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Redshift
Major

That does not really make sense the population would die off, there is a lot of civilians in planet side they even talk about them in the story, like the scientist that designed the bfrs and what not, they just have never been in the game
They are in, they're the soldiers. The real soldiers are the current TR, mostly. The Civilians and mercs are NC, mostly. The scientists are the VS, mostly.
Old 2012-02-19, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

No NPC's please. They will take away from the player count. I personally would rather have more players to shoot than some animals/creature/AI civilians standing / roaming around.

Old 2012-02-19, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
DayOne
Captain

They mentioned in the PCG article that you may see space battles going on in the skybox. If so I like to imagine that all the NPC's are still in the ships and only soldiers are on the surface to secure the resources.

Though guys running about in PS1 PJs carrying boxes to places would be pretty cool.
Old 2012-02-19, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
stordito
Staff Sergeant

Last edited by stordito; 2012-02-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2012-02-19, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

1. Having animals living and roaming the maps , flocks of birds able to be shot and killed or scared and then they run away when fighting breaks out. Or they could give away your position as a sniper by being spooked when you get to close.
According to my poll 53% of people were alright with passive creatures. Only 36% of people wanted hostile creatures.

I'm not even going to talk about humanoid NPCs. It was nearly unanimous that no one likes those in Planetside. I would hate to see "bots" essentially in the game. Having inanimate terminal screens is far better for shops and transactions.

That said you formed this post in such a way it's going to be trolled. Notice how I formatted my creatures thread with clearly defined and "realistic" creatures for a Planetside universe that would fit into the game. A lot of people will immediately assume you want to add chickens and fish to the game which even I have problems with. Adding creatures that make sense and make the continents feel more alive should be the goal with sci-fi creatures. I digress, but in the future you have to foresee the "it's not in Planetside 1" crowd. They are going to point out anything not in Planetside 1 and attack it in anyway possible.
Old 2012-02-19, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

NO
Old 2012-02-19, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
According to my poll 53% of people were alright with passive creatures. Only 36% of people wanted hostile creatures.

I'm not even going to talk about humanoid NPCs. It was nearly unanimous that no one likes those in Planetside. I would hate to see "bots" essentially in the game. Having inanimate terminal screens is far better for shops and transactions.

That said you formed this post in such a way it's going to be trolled. Notice how I formatted my creatures thread with clearly defined and "realistic" creatures for a Planetside universe that would fit into the game. A lot of people will immediately assume you want to add chickens and fish to the game which even I have problems with. Adding creatures that make sense and make the continents feel more alive should be the goal with sci-fi creatures. I digress, but in the future you have to foresee the "it's not in Planetside 1" crowd. They are going to point out anything not in Planetside 1 and attack it in anyway possible.
Democracy will always be a shitty system of decision. I don't care if 99% of voters want a bunch of useless shit cluttering up the game world. It's retarded and will never be in the game. It's not worth the framerate or the time.

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion