Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: For when the Morphine wears off
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-10, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums)

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
What exactly is the stance of BF3 players? There are a number of people here that claim changes made to PS towards both BF3/CoD alike is what "the masses" want.

It's quite ironic that the BF3 playerbase has similar issues as we with a game becoming too much like another game.
The number one issue is map size, the packing of flags so tight in the maps that you can shoot enemies from one flag to another, and the lack of any strategic value to bases that you capture. BF2 had much bigger maps, spread flags, etc.

Other lesser issues are the presence of casualizations like revenge killcam, automatic spotting, 3D spotting, too many to list but the overall preponderance of these issues is that the pace is way faster and nothing but twitch skill, planning/tactics/strategy means less in BF3 than any previous BF before.

It's entirely possible that PS2 will be casualized enough to anger PS1 fans but nevertheless not have gone so far that us BF3 refugees will think it's heaven.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The number one issue is map size, the packing of flags so tight in the maps that you can shoot enemies from one flag to another, and the lack of any strategic value to bases that you capture. BF2 had much bigger maps, spread flags, etc.

Other lesser issues are the presence of casualizations like revenge killcam, automatic spotting, 3D spotting, too many to list but the overall preponderance of these issues is that the pace is way faster and nothing but twitch skill, planning/tactics/strategy means less in BF3 than any previous BF before.
Yeah... DICE really butchered the series. I liked BF2 better in basically every way. BF3 was just prettier. I really hope SOE pulls through and retains the PS1 feel.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Yeah... DICE really butchered the series. I liked BF2 better in basically every way. BF3 was just prettier. I really hope SOE pulls through and retains the PS1 feel.
i understand that a lot of people didn't like the random deviation and grenade spam from BF2. But really, they didn't have to butcher the whole thing to stop that.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

It's entirely possible that PS2 will be casualized enough to anger PS1 fans but nevertheless not have gone so far that us BF3 refugees will think it's heaven.
Fight at the scale of PS1/PS2 battles and you will never go back to anything else.

PS1 had great flaws too but the experience was worthy enough of a sequel.

And anyways, SOE has no choice because the competition is also on the hunt for new markets. If anything, the only thing that would stop PS2 competition is if it flopped hard and I'm not even sure about that...

MMOFPS is the next HUGE thing. Why ? Content is the players and their battles. It requires much less creative effort once the right system is in place.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I'm pretty fed up with BF3 myself. While not a bad game per se it failed to keep my attention and fullfill my expectations (especially the maps).
Old 2012-03-10, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
I'm pretty fed up with BF3 myself. While not a bad game per se it failed to keep my attention and fullfill my expectations (especially the maps).
Looking at your little stat card there you were able to keep playing much longer than me... I was burned out at rank 39.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Figment
Lieutenant General

Good to hear we may get an extra stick to retain some features: the changes are NOT needed to appeal to at least part of the target populace masses.

Might be interesting to poll the BF3 playerbase in the non-official forums about such features now and then as well. mind, you can still play PlanetSide 1 and see what it was like to some extend. Otherwise I would recommend youtube. Loads of videos about outfit coordinated strikes.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

As a fellow Mordorian, welcome stardouser.

This place is pretty much the same as EAUK, but there are fewer trolls, we like the game (ish), and everyone gets along well.

OH, right. The devs actually use the forums
Old 2012-03-10, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Fight at the scale of PS1/PS2 battles and you will never go back to anything else.

PS1 had great flaws too but the experience was worthy enough of a sequel.

And anyways, SOE has no choice because the competition is also on the hunt for new markets. If anything, the only thing that would stop PS2 competition is if it flopped hard and I'm not even sure about that...

MMOFPS is the next HUGE thing. Why ? Content is the players and their battles. It requires much less creative effort once the right system is in place.
What competition? The only existing other MMO FPS I know of is WW2 Online. I know there a few brand new ones coming, though.

Battlefield would be a great theme for a modern combat styled MMO FPS but DICE is too busy copying CoD.

I hope you're right though about MMO FPS being the next big thing. The more the merrier, someone's bound to get it right. Could you imagine driving a Thor or something in a Starcraft MMO? Hell, the apotheosis of MMOFPS would be a Star Wars MMO where you can command Star Destroyers and everything.

Of course, that's a completely different franchise. Maybe a few years down the road Planetside could expand to have space combat too....and become PlanetsSide!
Old 2012-03-10, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

If only every player from BF3 was more like this guy. Welcome to PSU!

Lock on existed in more then one form in Planetside. There was 1 infantry held, 2 on the MAX units, and 1 via air to air.

The options you have to change your strategy are pretty huge. There's certainly time/space for staging areas. In PS1 there was a LOT, including an empire sanctuary. Even with no sanctuaries, there will also be areas with no disputes where you can pull vehicles, form up, fly around a whole continent to get to the back of a base, what ever
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-10 at 07:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Not sure if any of you follow it, but a lot of folks from the Battlefield community are looking forward to Planetside 2 based on the death of Battlefield as it begins to copy CoD.
Welcome to the Planetside world, but I'm going to say this right off the bat. Don't become one of those people who insist on PS2 having things "because it's in Battlefield!!"
Old 2012-03-10, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
Don't become one of those people who insist on PS2 having things "because it's in Battlefield!!"
What about all those "because it's in PS1" people? lol
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-03-10, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Welcome to the Planetside world, but I'm going to say this right off the bat. Don't become one of those people who insist on PS2 having things "because it's in Battlefield!!"
I know Stardouser. He'd rather not have things like battlefield 3. It's too casualised.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
What about all those "because it's in PS1" people? lol
Guess what? PS1 is the sole reason we're even discussing this.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stardouser
Colonel

I've been pushing for BF to go MMOFPS for as long as I can remember.

At this point it's more what I DON'T want from BAttlefield than what I do.

I know one thing from BF2 that would be awesome - if you could give custom names to your squads...all sorts of naughty names...Stardouser's Bonejumpers...that would be awesome.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion