PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where manlove is encouraged
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2013-03-22, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
AwkdShellfish
Private

Re: Another help thread for sys building! Yay!

Regarding the video card price-wise, but if it's not worth it than it's not worth it. You see I'm that not that adept at researching this sort of thing, so I am relying totally on other people's educated opinions, and in the end I can only hope for the best. I just hope when all of the parts arrive I can still remember how to install everything. Geez, the last time I did any of this was during my high school days, when P4 came out.

I'll compile a list before I buy so that way everyone can take their jab on the list. Again, thanks guys.
Old 2013-03-22, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
AwkdShellfish
Private

Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$119.00 From Newegg

Rosewill FORTRESS Series FORTRESS-550 550W Continuous@50°C,80 PLUS Platinum Certified,Single +12V Rail,ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active- PFC Power Supply
$109.99 From Newegg:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
$61.99 From Newegg

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
$53.99 From MicroCenter

SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM
$17.99 From Newegg

Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE SATA DVD-RW Burner
$16.99 From MicroCenter

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$189.99 From Newegg

840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 250GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$169.99 From MicroCenter

GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$369.99 after rebate From Newegg

Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Retail kit
$109.99 From Newegg

Seagate
Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive STBD2000101

$99.99 From MicroCenter

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
$119.00 After Rebate From MicroCenter

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
$189.99 From MicroCenter

Thoughts:

I never realized MicroCenter is a little bit cheaper than Newegg, in some respects. Best of all, they're LOCAL!

For the RAM voltage, if I choose a lower voltage RAM, will that "hinder" performance vs a higher voltage stick vs a lower power consumption? As far as multi-tasking is concerned, while I leave my computer on for downloading/uploading, I do plan on gaming, or running applications like Ulead, or Photoshop, or Fujitsu's Scan Snap, or perhaps burning software. The last thing I want is for something to freeze up and have to start over..

For the Video Card, what I like is I have the ability to hook up smaller screens in the future and can do multi-screening. Right now I'm just "borrowing" my grandfather's big screen TV to do my tasks. If Rbstr & everyone else believes that card has a good performance/power consumption for the price I'll get it. Although I have not really put into Ailos' card for consideration yet. Rbstr, you are correct, I do have my priorities a little elsewhere at the moment, nevertheless I do need SOME type of device to compute on. At the moment $369 for a card is really a big dent in the wallet.

The case is purely personal preference. The market seem to be flooded with these "bulgy" and "loud" looking cases, which I don't like. I prefer something more of a softer, professional tone. Not sure if the sound dampening features of the case works, but I'm no stranger to trying new things.

Just to confirm it again, the stock CPU cooler should be enough, even when I'm gaming on the computer? I remember the days when the CPU would run hotter than the GPU...
Old 2013-03-22, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
AwkdShellfish
Private

HIS IceQ X H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

$189 Is really not a bad deal, money wise! Now that I cross examined Ailos' list...
Old 2013-03-22, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
AwkdShellfish
Private

The hell with it, I'm buying all of it from the Microcenter. I can't stand not being able to use MY OWN computer.

Here is my revised list from the MicroCenter. If anyone can see anything wrong please point it out before tomorrow or Sun. As I will jet across town to pick up all the parts. And again, thank you for all your help!

Another thing that's going to concern me installing all the drivers. I just browsed across Asus's driver list, and it looks humongous. More than what I'm used to. If anyone can provide for me a order list of what to install first, I would gladly appreciate it! Thanks! Also I've never installed an SSD before or a 2 TB hdd before. Is it just plug an play?

Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$139.99 - $129.99 After Rebate Savings

PC Power & CoolingSilencer Mk III Series 600 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply
Model - Silencer Mk III Series
$87.99 - $77.99 After Rebate Savings

Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
Model - BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00
$53.99 Save an extra $5 in store when purchased with any motherboard or processor

Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE SATA DVD-RW Burner
Model - SH-224BB
$16.99

Samsung 840 Series MZ-7TD250BW 250GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Model - MZ-7TD250BW
$169.99

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive STBD2000101
Model - STBD2000101
$99.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Model - P8Z77-V LK
$134.99 - $119.99 After Rebate Savings

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor
$189.99

HIS H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
Model - H785QN2G2M
$209.99 $189.99 After Rebate Savings

$1,103.91 - After Rebate $1,048.91. (FORGOT TO MINUS 5$ from buying memory)

$1,192.22 After Tax. Tax rate in Tustin, CA is 8 percent when I googled.
Old 2013-03-23, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Everything looks good. My only recommendation is that you spend a few extra dollars on an 80-PLUS certified supply. They put out A LOT less heat while operating, and that means a lot less noise. I recommend:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...r_Power_Supply

Installing the 2 TB drives and SSDs is no different than any other SATA drive, it's just plug and play. You also don't need to do pre-install driver installations for anything. And if you're intimidated by the driver installs, Windows 7/8 is pretty good about doing everything on its own, so just let Windows Update do everything for you (all of these components have basic functionality upon Windows boot).

If something malfunctions, you can always go to Device Manager, open up the driver prompt for whatever has an exclamation mark next to it, and install it from the driver CD that'll come with each component.

As far as drivers for the ASUS MB: What you want is the grand-daddy package that includes everything: under "Utilities" look for "AI SUite II". It installs all drivers, and a couple other handy things all at once.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-03-23, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I tend to not want the random non-driver crap that installing everything brings.

Start with the Intel chipset and storage drivers. It doesn't really matter what order.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-03-24, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
AwkdShellfish
Private

Thanks guys, I actually settled for an Antec 550 watt 80 power plus...because they didn't have the Corsair one, even though the site says it has 10 in stock...

I just finished putting everything in as of tonight, but have not installed anything else other than windows 7. The BIOS is really freaky. I'm so use to the old bright/dark blue screen with funky characters rather than having a mouse to use in the BIOS menu screen.

Will start with all of the driver installs tomorrow after I get a wireless net card in...

Will let you guys know how everything turns out.

Oh btw, I didn't pick up the 2 TB drive...yet. I happened to stumbled upon some old HDDs I think I can still use, so we'll see...if I need to I can always buy it later.
Old 2013-03-24, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Everything looks good! 7850 is a great card, I have one myself and never have issues. I would of tried to give input, but I'm been busy at PAX East since Thursday.
Old 2013-03-25, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
AwkdShellfish
Private

Well so far everything SEEMS to be working fine and dandy! Have not installed any games yet because they're not much of a priority these days, but eventually will once I hit that moment of severe boredom! By then you guys will probably see me in Planetside 2!

That 2 TB drive is still on my to do list once I can get some cash together, or my patience runs out. Which ever comes first.

I have not installed the latest and greatest drivers from the net yet. Still running on the factory driver CD because I couldn't get internet connection right away. Should I still install the latest drivers? Or If it's not broken, don't fix it....
Old 2013-03-25, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

There was a memory leak in the version of the intel storage drivers my mobo came with. Generally it's best to keep things up-to-date.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-03-26, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
AwkdShellfish
Private

How about the Catalyst Control for the vid card? I've been reading about wiping the old install clean using a particular program and then install the new version to get a fresh copy in there.... I thought it was just as easy as reinstalling anything else?
Old 2013-03-26, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I used to always use driver sweeper. However its under a new name now and it has spyware from what I understand, so people tend to avoid it now. I think the original maybe somewhere on the net.

Honestly though just uninstalling fully, restarting, and then installing the latest should be more than enough.
Old 2013-03-26, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
AwkdShellfish
Private

Ok thanks. I'll do it when I get a chance.

I just popped in C&C3 and it played beautiful at the highest resolution and graphics settings. Never was able to do that on my laptop. I am amazed as how much special effects I was able to see.

Kudos guys for helping me build this machine!
Old 2013-03-27, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Glad you're enjoying it!

Yes, once you get your PC connected to the 'net, you should update all drivers - partly because not all release drivers are bug-free, but mostly because the programs which you will be using with your PC (namely, PS2) may not be compatible with the older drivers (this is especially true for the ATI drivers - the latest ones can give you up to 50% better performance in some games).

On Rbstr's note of the other non-essential stuff included with automatic driver packages: I actually, and this is a personal thing, like those extra little utilities. I could've installed just the chipset drivers for my ASUS board, but the Fan Xpert applet that's part of the AI Suite II is actually really good for controlling the on-board fans, and allowed me to turn the fans attached to my closed-loop cooler way down, and made the whole rig MUCH quieter. I'm sure I could've done it from inside the BIOS screen, too, but it was a lot easier with the applet, so all in all, I'm glad I installed it.

At the end of the day, it's really just how much you care about squeezing every bit of available space and clock ticks versus a little bit of convenience.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2013-04-03, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
AwkdShellfish
Private

My pictures of build.

Don't laugh, I know it's a lot of fans for a guy who isn't overclocking, but I hate to see things go to waste, so I decided what the heck. I zip tied some old 92 mm fans back to back and created a fan strip. Had to do some rewiring, but it's all in good fun. I also had an old PCI slot exhaust blower laying around so I'd figure it'll be fun to throw it in for old time's sake.

Here's a closer look at the fan strip.

Video Card

...and lastly what I did with the CPU cooling....question is should I leave it or put it in another place or take it out completely? 'Cause it doesn't really "fit" and the ASUS CPU temp sensors doesn't seem to go down anymore than where it originally is. While web browsing it just hovers at 33 C. Haven't tested it while I'm playing games. Currently the only game I have installed is C&C RA3.

In this picture you can clearly see the fan I put on top (left) and the stock fan that's sandwiched between the left fan and the far right heatsink.

...like I said, it's all in good fun. But if there's potential for damage in the future, I rather take it off and not risk it.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum