Vehicles will/should be rare. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: IS INVINCIBLE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-16, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Klockan
First Sergeant

Re: Vehicles will/should be rare.

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Where exactly will we be able to spawn these Flashes? Or any other vehicle? Nearby? Walk us through what you're talking about here.
If you can't even spawn a flash at the location then how would being able to spawn infinite tanks help you in any way?
Old 2012-07-16, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
andehh
Corporal

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
you know some people are so far behind in a race they actually think they're winning
Epic post!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-07-16, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Just a personal opinion but the original post was quite terrible. If we could vote on post, I'd +1 Canaris' post.

IMO, wait for PS2 to be out and judge PS2 for what it is.

Battlefield was an infantry centric game. Planetside is a combined arms game, that's why there will be customization and certifications for vehicles and not just for infantry classes. They are different games with different goals.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

So you want to increase the resource cost on MBTs so not as many people will have them. This would kind of force people to team up in vehicles and would lend credence towards the dedicated driver spot so many bittervets would like. Personally I think everyone should be able to get a mbt if they want to and then the teamwork would be between vehicles, not just operating a vehicle.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
You are thinking too much in PS1 terms here. Have you see the PS2 bases? People have complained that vehicles are too viable in them, the only thing you would get if people can have as many vehicles they want is that everyone uses vehicles outside bases and to get to bases while they jump out to get to infantry only areas. Also if 80% of the manpower is on foot you will not feel left out in battles between bases since most others are also on foot, being on foot is only a problem when everyone else have tanks and planes.
there are a few different types of bases remember - i saw a really walled in one a last week in a post here

also no matter how much you limit them there will always be people in tanks and jets - so running inbetween bases without armor is a nogo, if you are running from one base to another then what use are the flash and sunderer for?
Old 2012-07-16, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Klockan
First Sergeant

If I ask you this instead:
Should the average person be able to drive a vehicle 100% of the time? If yes, that means that we have more or less infinite resources. If no, then how limited do you think it should be?

Originally Posted by fod View Post
also no matter how much you limit them there will always be people in tanks and jets - so running inbetween bases without armor is a nogo
Just because you are on foot doesn't mean that you are dead if a vehicle sees you. There are stuff to hide behind everywhere.
if you are running from one base to another then what use are the flash and sunderer for?
The flash is fast, so it cuts down on the traveling time.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:47 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stardouser
Colonel

If you can't even spawn a flash at the location then how would being able to spawn infinite tanks help you in any way?
At what location? The question was, where will vehicles be spawned? That needs to be answered first.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Accuser
Sergeant Major

never had any troubles finding a gunner in PS1 - i would think having to wait 10mins for your driver to be able to get a tank would be very boring for someone that likes to gun and would probably make less people want to gun

edit: and no vehicles should not be rare - infantry have their place in and around bases and vehicles have their place inbetween
Higby said there'd be a resource cost and a timer for vehicles, because your friends can drive vehicles that you pull... This means that a dedicated driver/gunner team will be able to pull tons of tanks, just like in PS1. The OP is smoking the reefer if he believes what he wrote here.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
At what location? The question was, where will vehicles be spawned? That needs to be answered first.
At the bases, if you aren't spawning in a base why would you have a long traveltime and why do you even care about vehicles then? Without rare resources people would spawn heavy vehicles every time they can, there would be no reason to have vehicles like the sunderer or the galaxy etc.

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Higby said there'd be a resource cost and a timer for vehicles, because your friends can drive vehicles that you pull... This means that a dedicated driver/gunner team will be able to pull tons of tanks, just like in PS1. The OP is smoking the reefer if he believes what he wrote here.
Since you can save up resources for 50 tanks it could be a problem, but that doesn't say anything about how fast you can get said resources.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
really? i missed that one thats pretty awesome
problem is my dedicated gunners all plan to cert infantry certs
Old 2012-07-16, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Night
Private

There will be as many vehicles as you want as long as you are not dying every minute. If you never want to put your feet on the ground you dont have to.

Running between bases or out in the open is not a good idea.

Sure there will also be people who are infantry/gunner only, with upgraded weapons and other eq.

Massive battles will be difficult with 80% people on foot so forget about the footzerg.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Figment
Lieutenant General

From the other threads I have read it seems like people believe that everyone will be able to get a tank or plane at will and that the resources will only limit abuses.
Correct.

Have anyone of you guys played battlefield 2, 2142 or 3? Then you would know that on each battlefield map there are 1-6 combat vehicles on each side while there are 32 players on each side. That means at most there is 1 vehicle per 5 players at any one time and then vehicles respawns slower than infantry. Now as you all probably know PS2 have drawn a lot of inspiration from the battlefield series which would mean that we would have roughly as rare vehicles.
Have you noticed that vehicles simply aren't available in these games because they're not sandbox game like PlanetSide 1 and 2 are? Meaning that, like in say C&C, you get to have as many units as you want as long as you can afford them (which is easier if you have more territory in PS2) and keep them alive (which is easier to do once you've got a certain amount of them: strength in numbers).

No, this isn't a problem. The battlefield series thrived on having a low vehicle count. There are tanks and planes, but ~80-90% of the manpower is on foot. The only ones who will whine about that are stuck up PS1 vets who wants to drive around in a tank or a plane 24/7.
Actually PS1 vets who want driver + gunner instead of driver = gunner are suggesting to reduce the potential heavy vehicle numbers by half because you can't use the larger vehicles solo.

This makes it easier for infantry to compete and more viable relative to the lighter solo units, while the heavier units are less numerous and therefore don't get as much leverage over weaker units either.

So.... uhm... Yeah. You were saying?

>_>

EDIT: Also note that in a MMO, people log in with different available quantities of resources. Probably even per character.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stardouser
Colonel

At the bases, if you aren't spawning in a base why would you have a long traveltime and why do you even care about vehicles then? Without rare resources people would spawn heavy vehicles every time they can, there would be no reason to have vehicles like the sunderer or the galaxy etc.
You were speaking as if Flashes were the answer to every long walk. Defenders don't have long walks usually, but attackers do. Now, if it's a long walk from a tower or Galaxy back to the fight, and you have to spawn so much further away at a base to spawn a Flash that it will take you longer to drive than it would have to walk, how does that help anything?
Old 2012-07-16, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Gorgos
Private

I'm struggling to see the problem here to be honest. Vehicles do make gameplay a whole lot more interesting in my opinion. If you look at how military works in real life you'll notice that pure infantry doesn't really exist at all anymore, most of the troops are attached to some kind of vehicle, being dropped from the air or mechanized infantry on the ground.

You don't want people to use a tank to run up to a door just to jump out as a fully fledged infantry unit? If they keep suiciding tanks to get through a door that person will find himself without any resources pretty fast and anything not a MBT wont have the armor to drive up to a door in the courtyard in a base under siege.

Every new day in PS2 at the start of a servers prime-time vehicles wont be rare, but as the day progresses you'll probably see less and less anyway.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

IT depends on what logistical requirements vehicles have, So far the only rare vehicle will be the Galaxy which is also the AMS as it requires a Tech Plant,

Other vehicles depend on the resource cost but odds are they wont be as rare but just might not be as frequently spawned.

Flashs however will be everywhere as Planetside 2 will still regress to the old Zerg rush unless something is drasticly done with the economy/logistic tools. some Administrative help would be nice also.

Last edited by Marinealver; 2012-07-16 at 08:04 AM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion