News: Smed State of the Game - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-16, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Morsong
Sergeant

Re: Smed State of the Game

Knew they'd be launching this year, and I'm guessing just a couple weeks before x-mas. Also as another player mentioned, when is the PS2 app coming out?
Old 2012-10-16, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I was really hoping to see something from smed about Base design and redoing it. :/

Old 2012-10-16, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

I cant believe they realistically think they can release the game in 2012. PS2 is trying to do way more than PS1 did at launch and PS1 beta (closed + open) lasted nearly a year. If this game releases before 2013 and succeeds it will be a amazing feat for SOE, but it is simply a scenario I cannot fathom at this point.
Old 2012-10-16, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
bodypopper
Corporal

yeah,and theyre not even copying a tried and tested formula..

ahh well thats the end of that! chinese planetside copy anyone?
Old 2012-10-16, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Morsong
Sergeant

all of you are making me nervous about buying new upgrades to play ps2. is it worth it or not?
Old 2012-10-16, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Morsong View Post
all of you are making me nervous about buying new upgrades to play ps2. is it worth it or not?
Only a die hard fan should upgrade their system in order to play a beta (which I did). If you fall in that category then go for it, if not I'd advise you to save money and wait a bit.

Last edited by Frotang; 2012-10-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2012-10-16, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Frotang View Post
Only a die hard fan should upgrade their system in order to play a beta (which I did). If you fall in that category then go for it, if not I'd advise you to save money and wait a bit.
And if you do upgrade your computer, by purchasing a whole new one or buying parts, remember my sage advice: don't look at the price of computer parts for at least 1 year after you buy them and especially do not look at them the day after your retailer stops price matching your purchase. Prices and products change so quickly it can feel like a real kick in balls some times.
Old 2012-10-16, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
bodypopper
Corporal

you are quite right sir
Old 2012-10-16, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

Best piece of news in Smed's post is that we'll have 3 continents at launch !

Launch will be at most 8 weeks from now. The dev team will be utterly exhausted by then.

I'll not be overly surprised if some of the lesser features are held-over for post launch. They have a laundry list of things to fix, add and tune. I'd be utterly amazed if it's all implemented and working by the 20th of December...

But, that said, Funcom achieved an amazing amount of work in the 3 weeks before "The Secret World" launched, so miracles are possible.
Old 2012-10-16, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SpottyGekko View Post
Best piece of news in Smed's post is that we'll have 3 continents at launch !

Launch will be at most 8 weeks from now. The dev team will be utterly exhausted by then.

I'll not be overly surprised if some of the lesser features are held-over for post launch. They have a laundry list of things to fix, add and tune. I'd be utterly amazed if it's all implemented and working by the 20th of December...

But, that said, Funcom achieved an amazing amount of work in the 3 weeks before "The Secret World" launched, so miracles are possible.
If SOE lays off as many people as Funcom did after TSW launched, I'm walking away from SOE and never looking back. I have no respect for companies that chew employees up and spit them out. Also, if SOE is going to deliver on their five year plan, they're going to need a lot of people to make it happen, so it would not exactly instill a lot of confidence in me that they'll actually deliver on said plan if they're laying off the folks who designed and built the game.

That said, I don't get the impression that's how SOE operates. They did pair down their studios last year, but the reality is that they also moved a lot of folks around and simply ended work on the majority of projects those studios handled (like the SWG Trading Card Game). And there seem to be a lot of people at SOE who have been there a long time and who have worked on several projects. So, I have hope that there won't be any post launch "thanks for coming out" pink slips given out at SOE.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Fenrys
Major

It's disappointing that there is no mention of improving Base Design by Martha Stewart to make fortresses defensible rather than the current let as many people in as quickly as possible design.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
I was a little bummed out to read that, because Cert Points = Time and in no way do Cert Points = Skill (even the world's most awful player will gain a lot of XP/Cert Points over time). If Cert Points = Time and Time = Money, then why not cut out the middle man and just let people buy Cert Points with Money? Logically this makes complete sense, yet for some reason it seems to dramatically offend people. It's not "pay2win", it's "pay to save time".
A lot of the weapons are genuine side-grades, so buying them isn't P2W. The same can not be said of many of the certs, they are outright upgrades. So, being able to purchase certs would definitely be Pay2Win.

I'm not a fan of the existing character progression in PS2, I would have much preferred PS1s system with an equivalent BR cap of around 20. Being able to buy certs outright would IMO make a bad system worse. One because as already mentioned it would be Pay2Win, and two, because it would make the period where this game actually has character specialization even shorter.
Old 2012-10-16, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Tooterfish
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Mid December launch would be awesome, any sooner seems like a wasted opportunity to polish the game, especially when the Beta is yielding so much good criticism and a lot of mature input, as well as being a fun way to participate in the development.

Read my game blog @ www.roffle.com
Old 2012-10-16, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

/bump
Old 2012-10-16, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Drakkonan
Corporal

I'd really like TTK increased, experience points balanced, and sanctuaries, or equivalents addressed, but I'll take what I'm given. I was surprised he brought up the critics of the class system. It was obvious that they couldn't overhaul something that major this late in development, but the fact that they listened to complaints, and addressed them gives me hope that they're at least considering sanctuaries in onwith 'instant-action'.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion