Let's Focus on Real Issues - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This is a drill; repeat, this IS a drill.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-11-02, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
HolyHandGrenade
Private

Re: Let's Focus on Real Issues

I literally just made an account here to reply to this post.

The only FPS I've really played is BF3 (I play TF2, but that is a hat simulator, not a FPS ), and I must say that the PS2 beta has been A TON of fun. It has problems... yes, guns need finesse and vehicle spam is problematic, meta game can be lacking, certs seem over-priced, etc etc. Despite this, playing with the GBU clan or even just random squads has been a really aweosme experience. I think this game has an incredible amount of potential, and that the few weeks left will see changes that will fix some of these issues.

BF3 also had a slow release, but despite its problems, is still a fun game to play. Admittedly, I wasn't there at release, but I saw how the game continued to be patched (every 3 months... trololo) and balanced to improve gameplay. On top of that, I have faith that the devs here will do better than EA/DICE and NOT introduce M26 Dart glitches. Seeing as BF3 patched and changed game dynamics months and months after release... I think PS2 will sort itself out in a reasonable amount of time.

Obviously, everyone will never be happy; PS1 vets want one thing, BF3 players want another, casuals prefer this gamestyle over that one, clans want this, etc. Point is, this is Planetside 2. It's a new game, and I think it will do well, as it seems to have a solid core and an excellent F2P and not P2W model.

Enough of that; I want to close with thoughts about forums. I have sunk a over 250 hours into BF3, and check the forums there every once in a while. To be honest, I don't know why I do- they are a cesspool of flame wars, trolls, rage posts and whiners. I don't enjoy reading that, as there is no point to it, it only frustrates me. I have high hopes for PS2, and if these forums start degrading into a troll pit, it will drag the game down. Despite what people may say of 'devs don't listen to us,' I think the devs are doing an excellent job of fixing things and considering their community- THE COMMUNITY, not forum rage.

Forums have great potential to help the devs make decisions on gameplay, but they aren't going to listen to ragers and whiners, only people who see REAL changes that need to be made. I hope the forums can stop sliding into an outlet for rage and become something productive. Stay cool
Old 2012-11-02, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Dude, I'm sorry. But when they reinvent the wheel just because the other, original cart had wheels. I'm going to say something.

To me, that is a real issue.
Old 2012-11-02, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

The premise of the entire post is pretty simple.

If you want to complain about something do it in a constructive manner. And make it something that is actually important. BF3 clone is not useful in any way at all to anyone including SOE.

This thread is not an attempt to stop people from criticizing the game it's an attempt to make that criticism constructive.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-02, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh, I understand it. However, there are sometimes no nice way to say things. Its your site, and I try to be constructive, but some decisions are just flat out unable to be said with roses. You wont see me say its a BF3 clone, however it is heavily influenced by it, and I explain why, and why it does not fit in a game with the name Planetside.

There is a huge reinvention of the wheel going on, and different for the sake of different that I take issue with. I would not post if I did not care.

One example, spawn availability and being able to quick join back with your squad. They could have added matrixing, instead, they inflated the number of ways and locations to spawn. Why? Why not add matrixing/binding? Why mess with the logistics of troop movement, at the detriment to the logistical game, instead of using what worked? Their solution is more in line with a session based game, not a persistent one where denial of logistics should be key. Reinvention to solve problems they created. Thier solution creates a death-match with no flow in the front direction.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-11-02 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2012-11-02, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jennyboo
Mrs. Hamma

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Oh, I understand it. However, there are sometimes no nice way to say things. Its your site, and I try to be constructive, but some decisions are just flat out unable to be said with roses. You wont see me say its a BF3 clone, however it is heavily influenced by it, and I explain why, and why it does not fit in a game with the name Planetside.
To this I say if you can't say it constructive then don't say it at all that's my golden rule hence why I don't post often for fear of putting my foot in my mouth.
Old 2012-11-02, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

If you explain it then this post shouldn't matter to much to you.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-02, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

It matters, because I get tired of posting my "credentials", stating what I do like, just to get to where I think things are misguided.

Some of your recent responses to people have been marginalizing what people are saying as if they are some tin foil hat wearing user. I think that does a disservice.

Just like when Higby tweeted that "People think you can just copy paste PS1 into PS2. #Nothowitworks" That's both insulting, not what people are saying or asking for. And quite frankly, just side stepping the constructive criticism. Its a disingenuous response, hes smarter than that.

My inner cynic wants to know why its so easy to do that with things like Capture mechanics ( Stand here with other randoms ) from another title, instead of adding hacking, an entire play-style and really awesome thing. But that's not even the point, nor the discussion, and it makes me just as bad in that conversation as he is.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-11-02 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2012-11-02, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Qwan
Captain

Well I never really felt like I was gripping or QQing, I guess you could say my only problem with the development of this game is that a lot of the mechanic issues like ams deployment, base capture, and stuff like that were solved in PS1. Seems like they made things harder for themselves. IMO
Old 2012-11-02, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rolfski
Major

Good point from the OP. I think the biggest problem is that people are just overly impatient. They want all the thrills from PS1 implemented yesterday. I firmly believe they eventually will get their thrills but in a different way and over time.

Does the current game for me sometimes feels like an over-the-top BF3 conquest mode with limitless tickets? Absolutely, but I'm already having tons of fun.
Will I be playing a much deeper and way more strategic game within a year? 100% sure about that. Why? You can read it here
Old 2012-11-02, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Good point from the OP. I think the biggest problem is that people are just overly impatient. They want all the thrills from PS1 implemented yesterday. I firmly believe they eventually will get their thrills but in a different way and over time.
I liken the scenario to a nest of starlings and a cuckoo laid an egg in the nest. The cuckoo is the noisiest and demands food all the time, but mother starling has decided to feed all the chicks evenly, not just one. The cuckoo gets noisier and noisier, the mother hears it, but still feeds them all the same.
Old 2012-11-02, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Where have I heard that before?
Old 2012-11-02, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I liken the scenario to a nest of starlings and a cuckoo laid an egg in the nest. The cuckoo is the noisiest and demands food all the time, but mother starling has decided to feed all the chicks evenly, not just one. The cuckoo gets noisier and noisier, the mother hears it, but still feeds them all the same.
I was the mother cuckoo I know which chick I would be launching out of that nest first.....
Old 2012-11-02, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
I was the mother cuckoo I know which chick I would be launching out of that nest first.....
Indeed

I'll use a quote from The Abyss

"We all see what we want to see. Coffey looks and sees Russians. He sees hate and fear. You have to look with better eyes than that."
Old 2012-11-02, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
LONGFELLA KOJ
Corporal

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Where have I heard that before?

They say the same thing when you get married.
Old 2012-11-03, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I am tired of seeing the constant whining. Planetside 2 is not Planetside 1, deal with it already.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion