No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the best way to procrastinate.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-13, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem?

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
My main concern is what happens when you log on. Are you just spawned at some random foothold on some random continent? It would make organizing a whole lot more difficult when people are randomly spawning everywhere.
I have a feeling we'll be able to choose, within reason of course. It would go along with their whole "get you into the action faster" thing.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I have a feeling we'll be able to choose, within reason of course. It would go along with their whole "get you into the action faster" thing.
It still seems chaotic. Also the fear of a fight never ending, which I think is their direction with this game. It was nice to capture all the bases on a continent and then move on to the next one. But since every cont has an uncapturable foothold it would seem impossible to ever end the fight and given the prevalence of people spawning at them it would just be a constant back and forth.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-13, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Spark
Private

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
It still seems chaotic. Also the fear of a fight never ending, which I think is their direction with this game. It was nice to capture all the bases on a continent and then move on to the next one. But since every cont has an uncapturable foothold it would seem impossible to ever end the fight and given the prevalence of people spawning at them it would just be a constant back and forth.
That's exactly what I don't want. It's hard for me to get motivated when I gain no sense of progression (or regression).
Old 2011-07-13, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Spark View Post
That's exactly what I don't want. It's hard for me to get motivated when I gain no sense of progression (or regression).
The motivation to fight now seems to be more over resources than capturing bases. Still, I don't want to fight on the same continent forever because the empires can constantly keep back hacking me.

Although they did say there's a capture bonus for an empire with a lot of territory. Basically saying something like "If you were to back hack it would take you 30 minutes to capture said territory because you have no bonus. But if the empire with all the territory were to come re-secure it would take 30 seconds".

Even still, it sounds tedious and boring much like how resecuring back hacks are in Planetside 1.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2011-07-13 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

I'm going to have to see this in action as we know nothing about these footholds.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I'm going to have to see this in action as we know nothing about these footholds.
It's so much more entertaining to tear the game apart before we've even played it and wallow in our own self pity.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-13, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bags
Lieutenant General

Maybe these "uncapturable" facilities will deactivate for a few hours if you have no resources (read: you lost the continent), forcing you to fight elsewhere? Who knows.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Marsman
Major

If I understand what I saw in one the vids, upon login you will see a time-lapse map of how the battle has progressed - where the fights have been, how the front lines have shifted, etc... I suspect you then might be able to see the mission system "suggest" a place to engage. I think at this point you are then given a option on where you would like to spawn. Perhaps it'll be at a "suggested" staging area on one of the continents sanctuaries. You'll probably will be given an option to spawn on your squad leader if he has the skill or proper position to allow it, or perhaps another empire/outfit controlled base. I believe the whole idea is to quickly bring you up to speed on what's been going on since you logged off, show you the current situation and current mission assignments, and then give you the option of spawning where you see fit to join the action asap. My best "guess"
Old 2011-07-13, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

someone write up a petition thread to get sancs back.

ETA: i would but my eloquence doesn't help me.

the only real problem with the sanc was it was 90% baron and the hart.

Last edited by krnasaur; 2011-07-13 at 10:52 PM.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

I honestly don't care either way. I liked them but I rarely ever spent more than a minute or two in them.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Skorne
Private

Part of what I loved about sanctuary's was being able to test all the vehicles and weapons available in game. It helped me no end to decide where to put my next cert points when I was a noob. I hope they include some kinda similar VR training area to replace it. Also I for one didn't mind the HART shuttle wait.

Given that they are going with deep cert/resource/sandbox system having a sanctuary to do all that stuff when not fighting makes a lot of sense. At least part the fun of PS for me was making new crazy builds to try out in combat, but since the inventory system is gone I guess that area of the game is pretty much dead in PS2 anyway.

I just hope the continental uncaps will be able to provide similar staging/training area experience.
Old 2011-07-14, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Raymac
Brigadier General

It feels like the people who really want the Sancs want them primarily for the sake of nostalgia. It sounds like anything you can do at the Sancs now, you will be able to do at the new "Footholds" including staging for an attack.

We don't need a whole detached continent for this.
Old 2011-07-14, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
It feels like the people who really want the Sancs want them primarily for the sake of nostalgia. It sounds like anything you can do at the Sancs now, you will be able to do at the new "Footholds" including staging for an attack.

We don't need a whole detached continent for this.
This.

The only disadvantage or advantage, depends how we look at it is that now it is going to be much more difficult to capture whole continents.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I think if anything, the lack of Sanctuaries, but the use of the Foothold mechanic and Outfits controlling their own bases, will cut back on the monopolising of one empire over another 75% of the time... in fact, it was one of the major weaknesses in gameplay in the original.

The NC or VS always had unbelieveable impunity towards the TR and that primarily made me quit playing, as the "underdog" perspective gradually ceased to be any fun. I don't believe the new system will prevent vehicle/weapon testing, however, and it may actually be better if the Certifications become a process of improvement as the player-character ranks up.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2011-07-14 at 04:05 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Kran De Loy
Captain

Other than the missing nostalgia of large martial forces converging on one place to formulate a plan of attack safe from the ears of common soldiers in other factions what change will there really be?

I mean, I havn't played in a long time, but I remember Warp Gates being untouchable. So please forgive my forgetful ignorance, but what makes them different than having a single Sanc that adds a pair of loading screens in-between each continent?

In this day where Ventrillo, Teamspeak and now Mumble are much more widely acknowledged and used, communications between faction leaders have the potential to be that much more secure than the ingame chat. Even when that chat happened within the Sanctuary.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2011-07-14 at 04:10 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion