aircraft control - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's that bright stuff coming through the blinds?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-29, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
TeaReks
Private

Re: aircraft control

That thing is awesome. I wanted the reaver in ps1 to be an A-10 so badly.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
LegioX
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
A mouse is for people that don't want to spend money on a joystick.
If you cannot spend 10 bucks on a thrustmaster top gun (only joystick i have ever used), with rudders/hatswitch/and more than 6 buttons. Well then sir u are cheap.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Meecrob
Sergeant

My experience with BF is that joystick makes the flying less of a chore and is like 10 times more awesome, but in the end mouse wins because my accuracy while shooting is higher.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Joysticks are so 1987.
oh yes and this ^

time to let them go and get with the times ladies.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Troscus
Corporal

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
If you cannot spend 10 bucks on a thrustmaster top gun (only joystick i have ever used), with rudders/hatswitch/and more than 6 buttons. Well then sir u are cheap.
And you have no sense of objective opinions. I can fly just as well with a mouse/keyboard in EVERY OTHER GAME, why pay because the controls MIGHT be bad? And that's a pretty big might. Our definition of "bad" could be as different as night and day.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Okay, if there are cheap joysticks like that, some of us don't have a big enough desk to accommodate multiple accessories like gamepads/joysticks, and some of us just don't want to use them. No reason to force it on anyone.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
LegioX
First Sergeant

Okay, if there are cheap joysticks like that, some of us don't have a big enough desk to accommodate multiple accessories like gamepads/joysticks, and some of us just don't want to use them. No reason to force it on anyone.

best joystick i have ever used. It's simple, has alot of buttons, forced feedback, rudder controls for left hand, and a throttle. Last one i had lasted me 3 years and only paid 25 bucks for it. And i fly in alot of flight sims.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Certainly doesn't need to be forced on anyone. But for those who are used to flying their virtual aircraft through real aircraft controls, the option would be nice. Especially in light of the fact that, in motion, the aircraft seem to have a reasonably realistic maneuver model.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Troscus
Corporal

best joystick i have ever used. It's simple, has alot of buttons, forced feedback, rudder controls for left hand, and a throttle. Last one i had lasted me 3 years and only paid 25 bucks for it. And i fly in alot of flight sims.
It's pretty, I'll give you that. I'm still not going to buy it, or any others.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Algo
Corporal

Mice are better than sticks because in arcade flying you need to track and keep a lot of fire on target. That's it.
Sticks are only better than mice when maneuvering precision is life or death (stallfighting, energy fighting, etc blah blah blah)

I have both and i'll just use what works best.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Algo View Post
Mice are better than sticks because in arcade flying you need to track and keep a lot of fire on target. That's it.
I'm failing to understand how this is better done with a mouse. Preference is one thing - that's not what you're stating.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
LegioX
First Sergeant

Maybe I'm old fashion, or could just be the real life pilot in me coming out, but i really wish they would take out 3rd person view. Lock people in cockpit. Really stinks when you try to fly like the real thing, only to be handicapped by "options" they place in games (and not just this one).

ie: You could stay in cockpit, but are still at a disadvantage on spotting when someone can see better in 3rd person.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Algo
Corporal

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I'm failing to understand how this is better done with a mouse. Preference is one thing - that's not what you're stating.
What i mean is that it depends on time to kill, if i have to keep firing at a plane for 15 consecutive seconds to blow it up it's far easier to control a mouse than a stick, if you can make 2 or 3 short passes and kill someone a stick is still viable.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I think if that were true in the general case, you'd see very different real-world input models on both fixed wing and rotary aircraft. As long as we can have both, though, I guess everyone's happy.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
LegioX
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
With a mouse you have a lot more fine control than with a joystick because it divides a larger surface into smaller segments. Your fingers also have a lot more control sensitivity than your arm/wrist. In PS1 and Freelancer, mice were so superior it wasn't even funny. Flying with a joystick was like playing soccer with wooden legs and 2 eyepatches.

The key questions are whether you will yaw/pitch with the mouse, and what kind of acceleration will be in place for mice. If you can't yaw with the mouse, joysticks will be better because they offer analogue control (keyboard doesn't). If you can, mice will probably be better.

Stop thinking about this game as a flight simulator. It shouldn't and won't be one.

Never thought i see the day where mice are considered better for flying than joysticks....LOL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion