Types of cover - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1 gun + another gun = 2 guns. Wow we are smart!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-29, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
T MAN
Private

Re: Types of cover

Since were talking about types of cover, for the Crouch and be able to shoot over (no protection from headshots). I think it would be a good time to bring up "Head clipping/glitching", Battelfield 3 has it as does Call of Duty.

Basically when your aiming over cover with your head barely over top of cover your shooting from your face/or eyes and not your gun, mean while the other guy looking your way cant see your head and if he does see your head it's just the top part of head "eyes".

Very annoying glitch in alot of FPS, if i'm not mistaken in BFBC2 the bullets came out of your gun making this "head clipping/glitching" impossible. There are a few things from that game i wish had transferred over to BF3.

Here's an a example of what im talking about:
Old 2012-05-29, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
RSphil
Contributor
Major

id say both. cover is always handy when defending a base. if you need to reload then cover is handy, also if you are the attacker then cover aids with tactics, like cover and maneuver for example.

battlefield 3 aint to bad for giving cover. but then again all cover can be destroyed which makes it more interesting.

but as with most questions we will ave to see what they put in the game and make up our minds then.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
UKSwiFT
Corporal

I really liked the Red Orchestra 2 cover system of CTRL snapping you into a concealed cover, then aiming would pop you out of it to peek over the side. Giving you vision but also exposing your head. I'm not sure it would be worth implementing into PS2 though, but I'm fine with both types of passive crouch cover, either way.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by UKSwiFT View Post
I really liked the Red Orchestra 2 cover system of CTRL snapping you into a concealed cover, then aiming would pop you out of it to peek over the side. Giving you vision but also exposing your head. I'm not sure it would be worth implementing into PS2 though, but I'm fine with both types of passive crouch cover, either way.
RO1 also had this when you aim you raise your head a little bit which I really liked.
In fact I think RO2's cover system is superior to any other atm.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Figment
Lieutenant General

I would just like to remind him that in PlanetSide 1, certain boxes and base wall edges weren't proper cover for all types of weapons. In some cases, your weapon would be lower than it appeared to be and you'd hit your cover, rather than the target, even if it seemed your weapon would be over it.

I'm not entirely sure which MA guns suffered from that again, but there were several at least.

Similarly, the Striker lock on would work poorly when aimed upwards, since it tried to launch at people's feet if I recall correctly. Which was a problem to the TR (lock on would hit obstacle, inaccurate dumbfire), but not the VS (line of sight) or NC (guided missile or inaccurate dumbfire).

Any "low" hanging guns might need a different type of cover as well.
Old 2012-05-29, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dreamcast
Major

The best cover system I have used was with medal of honor airborne...You hold a button and you could peek or rise as much as you needed to.

Here's a Video

More Console games and PC games should use this mechanic, it was quite fun.

Of course I doubt they could put this in the game, I think it will be way too hard....but seeing how the game gun movement pace is slow as hell(people stand still when shooting), this cover system will work.
Old 2012-05-29, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Redshift
Major

I'd like to see both tbh. Deciding what cover is best at that specific moment is a skill.
Old 2012-05-29, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Both thanks. And no cover system... it's not GW, it's not Splinter Cell. However I wouldn't be against simple leaning in door ways... it's as easy as crouching, but if you don't like it and never use it, just don't bind those keys.
Old 2012-05-29, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
Both thanks. And no cover system... it's not GW, it's not Splinter Cell. However I wouldn't be against simple leaning in door ways... it's as easy as crouching, but if you don't like it and never use it, just don't bind those keys.
Why no cover systems?....In case u havn't noticed the game Gun combat movement is slow....

People stand when shooting in the open...A cover system will be perfect for this game from the footage I have seen so far.

I doubt they will put it in however.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Why no cover systems?....In case u havn't noticed the game Gun combat movement is slow....

People stand when shooting in the open...A cover system will be perfect for this game from the footage I have seen so far.

I doubt they will put it in however.
There are times where a cover system if done properly and is actually cool to use, would be really helpful, but for this fast paced game, just leaning will be good enough.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
There are times where a cover system if done properly and is actually cool to use, would be really helpful, but for this fast paced game, just leaning will be good enough.
Fast paced?...are you kidding?...Have you seen the footage of the game

have you not seeing people standing shooting at eachother....with no movement at all.

How in the hell is that fast paced?
Old 2012-05-29, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
UKSwiFT
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Fast paced?...are you kidding?...Have you seen the footage of the game

have you not seeing people standing shooting at eachother....with no movement at all.

How in the hell is that fast paced?
We've seen minimal infantry combat, but even that was in a testing environment where people aren't playing competitively. From what I saw from Higby and TB playing, they were moving pretty quickly while firing. Even jetting and shooting.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Coreldan
Colonel

I definitely do not want any cover system! They are fucking horrible. EDIT: As an avid RO fan, I do agree that RO2 did it OK, but it did also glitch quite often which was really annoying. It had some really cool tactical things to it (needed, cos in RO you usually dont live to eat that second shot), but I don't really think it's worth it in PS2 cos the TTK is so different and while the cover system of RO2 was cool, it also had a lot of problems.

As for the topic itself, both would be nice. Too many head revealing covers and you get a snipers paradise, too many full covers and you get those never ending cartoon shootouts

Those headrevealing covers are quite nasty though cos even when you do take cover, you are not safe. It's somehow annoying to be able to get shot without being able to shoot back

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-05-29 at 04:23 AM.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Zenben
Master Sergeant

I've only seen a cover system (as in you get stuck to the wall) implemented in an over-the-shoulder type shooter. If this is what people are talking about, I don't know how this would be implemented in a first person game. For that kind of system to work, don't you kind of need to see around the corner? We all know we don't want that.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
I've only seen a cover system (as in you get stuck to the wall) implemented in an over-the-shoulder type shooter. If this is what people are talking about, I don't know how this would be implemented in a first person game. For that kind of system to work, don't you kind of need to see around the corner? We all know we don't want that.
As mentioned above, it works OK in RO2 (the only gave I havnt absolutely hated it) but even there most of the time I opted out to use it and just went with the old school manual crouching/leaning kinda of thing, cos in some places using the cover system wouldve revealed ur head, which was quite problematic when majority of the server has pinpoint accurate bolt lock rifles

Which reminds me, I hope they would implement leaning. I can't believe that game like BF3 left it out o.o

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-05-29 at 04:39 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion