Certs - our long term plan - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: (Insert subliminal message here)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-17, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Timealude
Captain

Re: Certs - our long term plan

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
People still massively hated implants or real time limited boosters, they're not going to change either. I think you can see my point.
Im not gonna disagree with you here, but I still just dont understand why people hate the boosters system for the games. Right now I even feel the guns buying them with in game currency is pretty good. Its not like other games where they set the price so high on the weapons that its basically forcing you to buy them with real money. As far the XP boosters and resource boosters go it really doesnt (or shouldnt) give you an advantage because all they are good for is gaining certs which are going to be balanced with each other.
Old 2012-09-17, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
Im not gonna disagree with you here, but I still just dont understand why people hate the boosters system for the games. Right now I even feel the guns buying them with in game currency is pretty good. Its not like other games where they set the price so high on the weapons that its basically forcing you to buy them with real money. As far the XP boosters and resource boosters go it really doesnt (or shouldnt) give you an advantage because all they are good for is gaining certs which are going to be balanced with each other.
I agree. Certs don't make you better at the game or get you more kills which is why I don't get the PTW outrage. The only thing that certs do is give you more options on how you want to customize each loadout.

I really don't feel that there is going to a point in the game where I'm all pissed off because I was killed by someone who spent more money and had more certs than me forcing me to rage quit. There are other games where that happens because many weapons can't be earned, only bought and paid for with RL cash. PS2 does not work this way and thats why I don't see it as P2W.

People aslo keep throwing around the phrase "keeping up with" that I really don't get. What are you trying to keep up with? It seems like we're worried about which kid has the most toys because they have more toys than us and that makes us sad and not want to play the game. Take your ball and go home if thats what you're worried about because it's just childish.

Old 2012-09-17, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lucifarus
Private

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I agree. Certs don't make you better at the game or get you more kills which is why I don't get the PTW outrage. The only thing that certs do is give you more options on how you want to customize each loadout.
I don't want to song like a whiner, but I don't see how the upgraded shields + health for each class doesn't make it easier to kill. If you were to fire your weapon at close range with an opponent at the same time, the one with more certs in that area would win. You can also last longer in ranged fights. Also the grip currently is a upgrade to each weapon, reducing recoil by a pretty good amount. And turn speed for aircraft.

Certs are important to stay competitive, which I'm fine with. They're upgrades, which by definition make you better at your focused role. You can unlock them through playing, though personally I'm going to be paying monthly once that option comes up.

Last edited by Lucifarus; 2012-09-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 2012-09-17, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Smed
we've decided to keep passive cert point gain in for everyone and just make it 50% higher for members (although you can also buy separate)
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/247801823107366912

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2012-09-17, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hosp
First Sergeant

Since I'm becoming a bit more of a casual player as I age:
Old 2012-09-17, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Lucifarus View Post
I don't want to song like a whiner, but I don't see how the upgraded shields + health for each class doesn't make it easier to kill. If you were to fire your weapon at close range with an opponent at the same time, the one with more certs in that area would win. You can also last longer in ranged fights. Also the grip currently is a upgrade to each weapon, reducing recoil by a pretty good amount. And turn speed for aircraft.

Certs are important to stay competitive, which I'm fine with. They're upgrades, which by definition make you better at your focused role. You can unlock them through playing, though personally I'm going to be paying monthly once that option comes up.
I believe the idea is that if your brand new, you're at a small but not insurmountable disadvantage to the guy with certs. When they talk about sidegrades instead of upgrades, I believe they think that you have every slot filled with something. So, a guy might have all his certs in armor, and he'll survive better than a guy with certs in sprint, but the guy with sprint can run and outmanuever the guy with armor. Sidegrades.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-09-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2012-09-17, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Lucifarus
Private

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
I believe the idea is that if your brand new, you're at a small but not insurmountable disadvantage to the guy with certs. When they talk about sidegrades instead of upgrades, I believe they think that you have every slot filled with something. So, a guy might have all his certs in armor, and he'll survive better than a guy with certs in sprint, but the guy with sprint can run and outmanuever the guy with armor. Sidegrades.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
That makes sense. Not sure what the sidegrade thing was on about, obviously speed and armor are different, the idea was that someone with all these things vs someone without them is at a fairly big advantage. Having sprint implies you've been playing to get it, also. The biggest example of a obvious disparity between new to experienced player would be aircraft, though that's not with just certs. They don't even get a starter missile. Certs just allow things like increased speed and turning, which are also super important, at least in comparison to a tank which spends less time moving or relying on mobility.
Old 2012-09-17, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post

People still massively hated implants or real time limited boosters, they're not going to change either. I think you can see my point.
Once they realize no one is buying these real time implants, they may change their model. I for one will never buy this. What do they expect us to do with that, a 24 hr gaming session to make sure we get our auraxium or SC worth? A 2 hr session will be less than 10% usage of the purchase. This model is definitely not for casuals, but they were listening about the offline cert gain rage, so I hope they talk this out with the bean counters and convince them with hard numbers.

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-09-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by SpottyGekko View Post
The Cash Shop gives those with less time a way to stay competitive with those lucky people who can play 4-6 hours EVERY day. Seems like a good idea to me. Besides, Freeloaders are still totally viable in the game, they just have fewer options.
Every one can play 3-4 hours a day if they want to. I red a survey regarding how mush TV people watch each day in average and the result was 4 hours per day. So if people can spend 4 hours a day in front of the TV they can do that with games instead.

But having a cash shop removes allot of game content and that is what sucks most. When you can only buy things from the cash shop even if they are just cosmetic items they do remove content form the game. Because if there where no cash shop you needed to unlock it through game play.

Like for an example with PS2. Now we will be able to only unlock camouflage and other cosmetic things. But if this had been a monthly fee only game you would have been able to unlock those things by completing different achievements witch is 10 million times more fun then using your credit card. Because only game play is fun.

And so what if you don't get server first to do something? Who the hell cares? I been server first in different MMORPGs with allot of different things. (most PvE content). And the grind there is not really enjoyable because its a lonely one. So if the majority of players are casual players you should have allot of friends that are on the same level as you and you will have allot more fun experience of the game then those that goes for server first. So I have no clue what you want to pay money to keep up with that.

And even if you pay thousands of dollars to keep up with the hardcore players they still think you drag them down because you're not online when they are. And that is the only thing that matters. That you're team is online when you are. I know this is maybe something that casual players ever have experienced but it's quite annoying not being able to do anything in game because your waiting for some one to log in that never shows up.

PS: Also cash shops removes all bragging rights of have completed achievements witch makes competing achievements less fun...

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-09-17 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2012-09-17, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Lucifarus View Post
That makes sense. Not sure what the sidegrade thing was on about, obviously speed and armor are different, the idea was that someone with all these things vs someone without them is at a fairly big advantage. Having sprint implies you've been playing to get it, also. The biggest example of a obvious disparity between new to experienced player would be aircraft, though that's not with just certs. They don't even get a starter missile. Certs just allow things like increased speed and turning, which are also super important, at least in comparison to a tank which spends less time moving or relying on mobility.
Of course they're different. You only get to have one suit modification at one time and you have to choose between armor, speed, grenade capacity, shield recharge speed, and flak armor. You can only have one, so they are sidegrades. You can have armor, but if you want speed, you'll have to sacrifice that armor.

Considering it only takes a week of playing to get missiles for your aircraft(and by then, hopefully you got certs to get upgrades for that aircraft), the disparity is not bad at all. Especially considering the default gun is probably the best bullet-based weapon in the game.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-09-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 2012-09-18, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Once they realize no one is buying these real time implants, they may change their model. I for one will never buy this. What do they expect us to do with that, a 24 hr gaming session to make sure we get our auraxium or SC worth? A 2 hr session will be less than 10% usage of the purchase. This model is definitely not for casuals, but they were listening about the offline cert gain rage, so I hope they talk this out with the bean counters and convince them with hard numbers.
The best way to get your money's worth out of the boosters is to leave the game open while you're sleeping, eating, and working. AFK problem solved!(?)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion