Tweet hints at FPS numbers - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you braid your nose hairs, or do they grow like that?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-27, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Re: Tweet hints at FPS numbers

I had a I had a Packard Bell 80286 system, and remember thinking the 386's were hot shit when they came out. I also remember me and my friend gawking at a PC magazine article about the very first ever consumer 1gb hard drive. His comment was "That's all the memory you would ever need."
Old 2012-04-27, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
I remember running my 286/12 (with a Turbo button!) off floppies as well. And then installing the 20Meg hard disk with DOS 3.2! I even had EGA graphics!
Hehe, me too.
My first PC was a 286.
Technically my Dad's work laptop, in B&W FFS, but I just hijacked it to play games all the time.
You got some serious ghosting playing Wing Commander like

Ah those were the days.
Where you had to manually juggle memory between XMS and HMA just to get a game to run

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-04-27, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Shogun
Contributor
General

i can top (or bottom?) this
my first pc only had cga graphics! 4 colors, yeah! it was a 8086
man was i proud, when i got an ega graphics card and could play indiana jones in 32 colors !

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-27, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SurgeonX View Post
Hehe, me too.
My first PC was a 286.
Technically my Dad's work laptop, in B&W FFS, but I just hijacked it to play games all the time.
You got some serious ghosting playing Wing Commander like

Ah those were the days.
Where you had to manually juggle memory between XMS and HMA just to get a game to run
God, don't remind me. I think I probably got 25% of the games I bought to actually run on that overpriced POS. It was my first introduction to the notion that hitting a computer doesn't fix the problem.
Old 2012-04-27, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

C64 glory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_General
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleT...%27s_Inception

..and one of my all time favorite nostalgia titles (+ sequel)... doubt anyone will remember it... such a good game for its time...

http://boardgamegeek.com/videogame/1...-of-engagement
http://boardgamegeek.com/videogame/8...f-engagement-2

...and for us mech-lovers:
http://videogamegeek.com/videogame/78503/mechwarrior

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-04-27 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stardouser
Colonel

I wonder what GPUs and CPUs they are developing under/using while devving?
Old 2012-04-27, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Shogun
Contributor
General

yep c64 rocked. still got mine, now equipped with a sd card reader with a chip that has way more memory than the computer

if video games count, i started on pong and atari 2600
there were very little problems with games not running in this era.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-27 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
yep c64 rocked. still got mine, now equipped with a sd card reader with a chip that has way more memory than the computer

if video games count, i started on pong and atari 2400
there were very little problems with games not running in this era.
You still have it?! Thats pretty damn cool

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-04-27, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
More than 60FPS and I don't see the difference. But I can clearly see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

Anyways sounds great. However I am curious what specs he has and on with settings.
Get a 120Hz monitor and you may then. 60Hz won't let you notice anything above 60 FPS.
Old 2012-04-27, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
CutterJohn
Colonel

I remember running my 286/12 (with a Turbo button!) off floppies as well. And then installing the 20Meg hard disk with DOS 3.2! I even had EGA graphics!
Was that a Packard Bell? My parents got us one.. a 286DX2 12mhz with the turbo button that flipped it to 8mhz. Nobody knew why you'd turn the turbo off.

I was so jealous of my friend with a 486. He could play Doom without shrinking the screen to the size of a postage stamp!
Old 2012-04-27, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
NCLynx
Major

I miss the turbo button.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-27, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
cryosin
Master Sergeant

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but how well do you think my comp could handle PS2?

Its an HP Envy:
Core i5 Dual Core w/ HT
4GB Ram
Radeon 5650 1GB(Dedicated/2GB Shared)

I can handle most new games on low-med settings, but i know PS2 is going to require a lot.

And does quad core vs Dual Core matter?

Last edited by cryosin; 2012-04-27 at 11:33 PM.
Old 2012-04-27, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
I can see the difference as well. Interestingly though. I can't really see any choppiness in movies that were recorded at 24fps (the old standard). My guess is that since video game fame rates are never constant, it causes a conflict with your monitors refresh rate and thus drops a frame here and there.

Interestingly, nvidia's new cards advertise the ability to slow down frame rates when the hardware is overkill for rendering certain games. I wonder if this would make for a smoother looking 30fps if all frames were delivered at precisely that rate?
It's very simple. Video games don't motion blur. The camera movies are recorded with captures motion blur naturally. Motion without the appropriate amount of blur looks "choppy" to the human eye.

This is because your eye continuously accepts input, but doesn't process it continually. Instead, the brain perceives small slices of time, and it expects objects in motion to have made an impression on the nerves in the retina at all points between the start end end of that slice of time.

When a game renders crisp still images and puts them up on the screen one at a time, objects in "motion" don't move through the intervening space between their position in one frame and the next, no matter how fast the framerate is. Instead, what we do is try to speed up the framerate so you can cram multiple frames into each slice of time the brain actually processes, creating the illusion of motion.

Shot footage, on the other hand is recorded in such a way that each frame of a movie or video (whether it's digital or film) has that 1/24th (1/30th if it's designed for TV) of a second captured in the same frame. This is why pausing TV or movies, even on DVD, looks blurry if it's an action shot or a fast pan. It actually IS blurry, it's just blurry in a way that your brain expects when it's being shown one frame after another.

So, yeah. If game engines were written with shaders or something that could apply motion blur to individual frames, the quest for maximum framerate would be a lot less of a problem, and we could get away with movie/TV-level framerates (and lower! individuals who get bothered/notice even 20 fps when properly motion blurred are *rare* -- most people's perception limits are in the 15-17 range). The exciting thing is, I think GPU hardware is catching up to the processing requirements to make that a practical engine feature for real-time rendering, so we may actually see engines do this in the near future.
Old 2012-04-28, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Machine
Corporal

Heh. I learned to program on an 8086 with a high density floppy.. no double hdd yet with a 5.25 working drive. You need a minigame that will run on that!
Old 2012-04-28, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Heh. I learned to program on an 8086 with a high density floppy.. no double hdd yet with a 5.25 working drive. You need a minigame that will run on that!
I remember playing with BASIC on my Ti-99-4A and having to store the code on a tape recorder. This was no ordinary computer tape drive, it was in fact, an ordinary tape recorder. You could actually "hear" the damn code streaming off. Was slow as hell, took like 30 seconds for 50 lines of code.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-04-28 at 01:17 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion