Lets steal the lightning!! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got milk?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-28, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Saand
Private

Re: Lets steal the lightning!!

What better way to get people to buy something off of the store than to get them to sample it while driving a hacked modified vehicle or picking up a modified gun, its not like they would get to keep it, once its destroyed its gone.

If someone is not certified for a mod and it is impossible to allow them to use it due to how the accounts are setup, they could make the vehicle, gun revert back to a basic version once hacked.

Leave your equipment unattended and I may fall into enemy hands, as annoying as it may seem it adds a layer to the gameplay I would miss, and I have been on the receiving an giving end of hacking.

Make hacking so it costs resources to take ownership of the vehicle, that should keep it from being too rampant.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Artimus
Master Sergeant

I just hope hacking in general has a significant role still. Having someone with advanced hacking was always clutch in ps1. It kinda put a vip sense on that person cause he would be are lifeline at times to get equipment or to simply respawn.

Last edited by Artimus; 2012-04-28 at 05:09 PM.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Log in to enemy empire, pull a bunch of vehicles for your team, log back to your main empire.

Even easier with F2P.
That's so highly unpractical. Not to mention, all that would accomplish is generating default vehicles with no upgrades of any kind.

Again looking at Planetside 1, we had free trails and again it was so unlikely for that to happen, and when it did... Who cared? kill the vehicle and let them whine for wasting all that time.

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
We don't even know if TR player 1. will be able to pull a customized vehicle and let TR player 2. drive it, so it's a bit early to be talking about whether an enemy would be able to do so as well.

As for being certed, it's pretty safe to say that the vast majority of players will be certed in at least the base level of every vehicle within a short time of the games launch. This is balanced by the fact that you can't fill every role at once, but you will be able to at least nominally fill every role one at a time. This further calls into doubt whether a player who can drive an AA turret equipped tank will be able to give it to someone who can only drive a basic tank.
Simple fix is to reset everything back to default settings for a AA or ground type of vehicle. Without all the special side grades from the previous player.

I think your over complicating this WAY to much.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-04-28, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTNApollo
^^^Agreed 100%. I was playing PS1 last night and I spawned a Galaxy Gunship at TR sanctuary. As I proceeded to pick up gunners from various bases before heading into the fray I got chased down by a few Mossies+Reavers from the VS. After they got shot down I landed to repair, and I noticed I had forgotten my glue gun, so I ran inside the base to swap. When I came back outside a VS was hacking my vehicle, and before I could kill him he hacked it and deconstructed it. Really irritating. So yeah, no hacking in PS2.
I'm sorry, but you just described why hacking was an excellent part of the game.

You left the vehicle long enough in one place. You have no one but yourself to blame.
Yes I got a warm feeling just reading this...the game is better like this because it makes you PROTECT YOUR ASSETS, like you would in a real war (or game for that matter!)
Old 2012-04-28, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
That's so highly unpractical. Not to mention, all that would accomplish is generating default vehicles with no upgrades of any kind.
Yeah... until The Enclave spawned 50 Fully upgraded Prowlers and then switch to VS on nub alts for the hell of it.

It goes both ways.

Old 2012-04-29, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
NCLynx
Major

Like others have said before me: I'd like to hack and steal vehicles, but if we're only limited to the cross faction vehicles it just kinda feels dumb.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
I think your over complicating this WAY to much.
I'm not complicating it, I'm pointing out possible reasons why it may be a problem.

The dev team has said that hacking vehicles is out for now. I personally want vehicle hacking to be in, but I'm being realistic that they may know some reasons why it would be problematic in PS2's new paradigm. My reasons are just some possible examples.

Make no mistake though, I'd much prefer to have hacking of vehicles to be included if at all possible. I'd like to have hacking of vehicles way more than I want to have vehicle entry animations, which I also would prefer to have.

Adding in vehicle hacking shouldn't be too difficult either if it turns out to be viable in the new scheme of things. Maybe not right away, but part of the 5 year plan at least if the players demand it. Let's play beta before worrying about it too much. At least then we will be able to decide for ourselves if we think it would imbalance things too much or cause any other difficult problems.

Maybe the devs are right, maybe they are wrong, but for the time being they know more than us. This really isn't a core gameplay issue that needs to be sorted out asap. Discussing it abstractly now is fine, but let's wait until beta to really worry about it is all I'm really thinking.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-29 at 08:37 PM.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kipper
Captain

I hope hacking makes it in at some point.

I don't see an issue with modifications and upgrades - to me it's simple. To hack a vehicle, you have to be certed to drive it, as well as hack - in the same way that in real life, I have to know how to drive a truck before it makes sense to steal one (not that I do that).

So Vanu guy comes along and spots an unattended Reaver... He's certed for the Scythe, so he can fly any ES aircraft, and he's certed to hack, so he takes it. (You could have it so that you can hack, but only decon if you're not certed to fly/drive the vehicle).

This particular Reaver is loaded with an advanced weapon, lets say a Flamethrower, which again, might have ES variants (Plasma-thrower!) but its essentially an archetype with different stats. Our Vanu is not certed for the Plasma-Thrower on his own faction, so he can't fire it - obviously in a game its point and click, but a real life scenario would be someone who simply couldn't find the arming controls.

The value of his hack is that through the carelessness of the original owner, he was denied his flamethrower reaver and many people in the advancing Vanu infantry squad are thankful. The VS player could even fly the thing back and re-cert, or hand/trade to someone who does have the relevant in-game skills to use it.... but when it blows up or decons, then its gone.

As for paint jobs, or custom skins, reset them or let them stay - it would add a personal incentive for people to want to get their vehicles back if they kept their personalization for the life of the vehicle! (think of the shit you'd get if your outfit mate was blown up by YOUR Reaver in VS hands).

The only thing that might be tricky is essentially, hacking is stealing resources - but then, if you decon the vehicle and don't get them back, its the same, if you blow up, you lose them and its the same. Heck, if you lose territory, you're losing resources - it IS a PVP game is it not?
Old 2012-04-30, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Address the unique exploitability in PS2 or you can pretty much be certain jacking won't be back.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion