I really wish - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nerd tested, nerd approved!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-02, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Re: I really wish

Originally Posted by dafuq View Post
just wait and see

the only thing that is 10000000% save is that there is going to be an hack available at launch day

hi @ artificial aiming... the other hacking thread already described it pretty well.. the head admin of the site already is in tech test and got an aimbot up and running

this game will die because of its f2p model. its only a question of time
You obviously haven't seen how well F2P companies are doing.

You may not play it because of the F2P model, but this game will make infinately more money than it would have with subs. Unbelievable hordes of people that aren't you will flock to this game, for better or worse.

Throw in the fact that the game is shaping up to be awesome, and there's a recipe for financial success, beyond wether the game is fun for hardcore players, or filled with hacking 11 year olds.

You're just flat out wrong.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Astrok
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
You obviously haven't seen how well F2P companies are doing.

You may not play it because of the F2P model, but this game will make infinately more money than it would have with subs. Unbelievable hordes of people that aren't you will flock to this game, for better or worse.

Throw in the fact that the game is shaping up to be awesome, and there's a recipe for financial success, beyond wether the game is fun for hardcore players, or filled with hacking 11 year olds.

You're just flat out wrong.
U can take DC universe for a example.Their profits went up sky rocketing when they went f2p.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Astrok View Post
U can take DC universe for a example.Their profits went up sky rocketing when they went f2p.
Exactly. There's a reason why there's a F2P version of BF2 (in essence) and SWTOR is also confirmd for that direction.

Microtransactions = $$$, especially for games that don't hit marks at retail, or ones that get F2P remakes that require only adding a cash shop.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Warruz
Sergeant

I personally am hoping for a guild wars 2 style of payment. You pay for the game it has no recurring payment however cosmetic stuff you can buy with cash.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Crator
Major General

Remove that hope then Warruz. Free-to-Play is defined as - No price to play the game at all. If they did do that then it would not be a F2P model anymore and could not advertise the game as such.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hatchak
Private

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
I personally am hoping for a guild wars 2 style of payment. You pay for the game it has no recurring payment however cosmetic stuff you can buy with cash.
Except they need TONS of people to pick up and play, if you put a $40 box price, there wont be enough people for the game to survive.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
Doesn't matter what you're hoping for lol, pricing model is confirmed already.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Astrok
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Doesn't matter what you're hoping for lol, pricing model is confirmed already.
Yes indeed,

And how to charge money for a free to play game? Kinda nonesence to.

Just trust me on this.They will make alot of money with planetside 2.Everyone(Well alot of people) will try to put in some money at some point.Even if its just a few euros a person they will make alot of money.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sunrock
Major

Way F2P can bring in more money then subscription fees are mainly because most players quit after 2 months of playing a sub fee but in a F2P game the usually drop all there money they going to spend on the game when they start to play the game. So even if in average players only spend $50 on a F2P game its only $30 in a sub game because they burn through all the content and get every thing in those 2 month they play. However if developers start to make game so the players stick around in average for 4+ months the sub fee would be more profitable.

So it's a short term money grab Vs a long term commitment. Personally I think for the players game experience a sub fee would be better as it promotes fair play more. But we all know all the fat cats just want to grab a quick buck and then run.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-02 at 01:45 PM.
Old 2012-08-02, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Scotsh
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Way F2P can bring in more money then subscription fees are mainly because most players quit after 2 months of playing a sub fee but in a F2P game the usually drop all there money they going to spend on the game when they start to play the game. So even if in average players only spend $50 on a F2P game its only $30 in a sub game because they burn through all the content and get every thing in those 2 month they play. However if developers start to make game so the players stick around in average for 4+ months the sub fee would be more profitable.

So it's a short term money grab Vs a long term commitment. Personally I think for the players game experience a sub fee would be better as it promotes fair play more. But we all know all the fat cats just want to grab a quick buck and then run.
You are making a big mistake in that calculation. The average player may be paying less per month than in a subscription based game, but there are way more players if the game is F2P.
In sum that makes F2P more profitable, as multiple examples in the industry have already proven.
Planetside 1 dropped from 6 servers at release to 3 servers in a matter of a few months.

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
But we all know all the fat cats just want to grab a quick buck and then run.
Funny, from somebody using a BF3 avatar
Old 2012-08-02, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Infektion
Sergeant Major

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish a had a girl who looked good, I would call her. Wish i had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a 64 impala.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
You are making a big mistake in that calculation. The average player may be paying less per month than in a subscription based game, but there are way more players if the game is F2P.
In sum that makes F2P more profitable, as multiple examples in the industry have already proven.
Planetside 1 dropped from 6 servers at release to 3 servers in a matter of a few months.
Yes the only sub game that have not droped more player then they started out with during the first 2 months is WoW. Mainly because WoW manage to keep players interest in playing for a long time.

But those numbers are not per month but what players pay for the game in average from when they start playing to when they quit playing the game. That means that some players drop more then 50 and many under 50 in a F2P game. It also means that some players play for allot longer then 2 months but most quit before the first month in a sub game.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-02 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Scotsh
Sergeant

Sorry, but you are just pulling numbers out of your a**.

Subscription games are in decline, with more competition on the market it extremly hard to get something like this going.
Just from my experience:
I come from a very old shooter clan (UT99-mod) and most of us are still friends and we meet regulary for BBQ, Booze and classic LAN-gaming (CoD4 still).
None of them played PS1 or knew anything about PS2. But most of them will try out the game with me when its released. If there was a subcription involved there would be a near zero chance of them to even try it (we are getting old and set in our ways ).
But as i know them there will be a very good chance for a few of them to stick with it if it good enough.

I had been playing SWTOR, joined a guild there, we got bored because of lacking content and horrible server populations and quit all. Most of them will return when it hits F2P, at least to play some storyline and may even drop a few bucks to do an OP again. This stuff works, plain and simple.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
Sorry, but you are just pulling numbers out of your a**.
I got my numbers over at http://www.gamebreaker.tv/ from one of there articles there. Can't remember witch one now though.

PS: You will have to sub to the game if your going to do any operations in SWTOR.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2012-08-02 at 02:20 PM.
Old 2012-08-02, 02:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Beerwig View Post
that this game was pay to play.The f2p model just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.The main reason for this is that every f2p game I have ever played was full of hackers.Another concern is that they will start selling power.I know they said that its cosmetic only,but what if they don't hit their money target?What if they start selling power crystals that boost damage by 75%?It's just that this game seems to be turning into the game that I have always wanted.I can't think of anything the devs are doing that I would do differently.
Most games today are getting smaller and dumber(Bf3),but this game is moving forward;an epic fps experience that won't get old for years and years.
Hopefully the devs don't cave in to greedy suits.
Pay to play for what? Server cost? Its getting absurd by now. No game is worth 15$ a month.

And less and less people want to deal with subscription.

I would not have even raised an eyebrow if this had a subscription fee.

An initial game cost (something like 60$) instead of subscription would be acceptable, subscription never was, however.

I do share your concern on free to play in general, though. Thats why I believe in single time payments (and properly priced expansions) over both subscription or free to play.

If free to play often turns into a rip off, subscription always is.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion