Infantry Render Distance Feedback - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because your work computer can't render 200 surgile jackwhores.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-12, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Infantry Render Distance Feedback

From his latest tweet it sounds like its been running on Miller also.....

Are we on Miller the Placebo ? (don't actually do it and see if people start reporting improved render ?)
Old 2013-02-12, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Merzun
Corporal

Was only on for some minutes and can't say much about performance as i don't know how much players where around.

The render distance I would guess was between 250 to maybe 400 meters. There where however only a few players visible at that distance and I don't know if there where more present or if i only could see some selected ones. The maximum number visible was about 10. I was at Ti Alloys and could see TR infantry on the other side of the bridge at the crown. Also VS was present from Crossroads. I could see them from the small rock formation near the bridge.

What I noticed however, on this hill most players seemed to float about 1 meter in the air (only slightly visible in the picture, didn't take one when i had more players visible and a better angle). This issue was not happening with other terrain like buildings or the bridge.
Old 2013-02-12, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
From his latest tweet it sounds like its been running on Miller also.....

Are we on Miller the Placebo ? (don't actually do it and see if people start reporting improved render ?)
if that's the case then i might have to forgo the gym this afternoon in favour of "testing".

As for placebo? isn't miller the most active server so perhaps the fixes are less noticeable if there are more people about.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-02-12, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
PredatorFour
Major

It was on Miler too. For a while on the ground i thought it had worked, i was in a mag in a massive ground battle with the nc and i could see all the troops it was great. But reavers would disappear really quickly from view.

I got in the air and the render issues were back again. This time friendlies were disappearing. Normally the friendlies didn't disappear and the enemies did.

Keep at it Matty you`ll get it eventually, i think it's a small step in the right direction.
Old 2013-02-12, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Merzun
Corporal

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
I saw the tweet last night for Connery but didn't realize Miller was getting it too. When was this patch applied ? Server side only ?

I was playing last night and didnt really notice the difference but that was at around 9-10PM GMT, thats probably 2PM PST.

Is it still running now ?
No patch. Higby just popped in and it was enabled. Seems to be server side. Don't know if it is still on. Cycles said they would leave it running for the day and evaluate if there are problems. That was at between 22 to 0 CET, so it might be still up as the devs should be asleep now.
Old 2013-02-12, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Merzun View Post
What I noticed however, on this hill most players seemed to float about 1 meter in the air.
It's most likely due to terrain smoothing, sort of speak. The further you go, the less detail terrain has, less geometry, polygons. You can see that on Amerish's mountains the most.
Old 2013-02-12, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
RSphil
Contributor
Major

tried some sniping on miller. can see people at a greater distance which is great. still not sure I like the culling bit though. targets vanashing just as I take the shot I have everthing on max and was running great. nice job so far.
Old 2013-02-12, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Well, I was defending Tarwich last night around 8:30PM GMT and the TR had the West Spawn base (down the hill from Broken Arch Road) and they had liek 30-40 people on the roof of the CC building with AA Bursters etc... and were rendering from the Tarwich Tower.

Don't know if that's an improvement or not from before, but if standing in the Tower you can see 40 people on roof of that building, that's quite a distance.
Old 2013-02-12, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

It's funny, last night I was at Magrider Hill (or is it Prowler Hill now?) and I could actually see infantry running around on the road up to the Crown.

This was on Mallory though, so no changes involved. I think everyone had just abandoned the Crown to go fight at Allatum for some reason, it was just odd being able to see people at that distance in that area for once.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Just got from Miller and I must say, I really truly FUCKING love the change!

I've seen infantry on the hill between Crossroads and The Crown and I even killed them from the South Crown bridge. Usually they didn't even render if they were under the said bridge.

No real FPS drops, any graphical problems, or the likes. Smooth as baby's butt.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by KaskaMatej View Post
Just got from Miller and I must say, I really truly FUCKING love the change!

I've seen infantry on the hill between Crossroads and The Crown and I even killed them from the South Crown bridge. Usually they didn't even render if they were under the said bridge.

No real FPS drops, any graphical problems, or the likes. Smooth as baby's butt.
This is truly good news, I will be sure to test this out in next 3 hours when I finally get home from work.
Old 2013-02-12, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
MarauderShields
Private

I recorded a lot of footage looking at some fighting between Indar Excavation and Dahaka last night on Connery. Render distance was around the 300m mark. I slapped it all together hastily last night and uploaded it this morning, for your viewing pleasure.

Old 2013-02-12, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Looking great for long range now what about upclose, some cluster fuck biolabs/crown fight have the enemies rendering in at less than 3m which often leads you to getting a good rogering with out having a say about it. Of course this also will lead to sniper prowlers (nerf the splash) from allatum to ti alloys.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Great video Marauder! I loved the juxtaposition between the raging battles and laid-back piano music .

That looks sooooooooooooooo much better than it did before... The game is really coming together. I'm blown away by the speed in which SOE can solve these seemingly-fundamental problems with the game engine (thinking of tunnels too).
Old 2013-02-12, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
DovahTerran
Corporal

I really like the way they applied the settings for Connery. I say we just become the official Guinea Pig server xD They worked really well. And plus the performance patches are doing wonders. My comp is a minimum spec dual core Intel with a pretty old GPU. I'm still able to run battles with multiple platoons at around 5-15 FPS at the very lowest, even at the Crown and Crossroads where fighting is always hardest, and see all the hostiles at acceptable distances. My comp is proof that SOE is working a miracle with optimization. Thanks Higby!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion