XP per base capture - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Indeed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-25, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: XP per base capture

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Treating the symptom and not the disease.

Don't half one base's exp and boost another's or make cap times longer. Those won't change any part of the underlying incentives for acting the way we are currently seeing players behave.

Fixed XP amounts for actions is probably the root of the problem.
Pretty much this.

PS1 exp is awarded based on activity. Now, I can imagine this is one of the last things they'll implement.

However, it is my opinion that the following should be done eventually:
  • Basic exp for action (250-500-750 per type of capture: small outpost, tower/mini-fort, base)
  • Modifier A - ratio of Enemies [E] vs Friendlies [F]. This modifier should encourage even fights and outpopped fights (taking on challenges) and not so much discourage as not reward outzerging an enemy.

Example formula: 1.0 + log(1.0 + (E/F);
    No enemies: 1.0 + log(1.0 + 0/F) = 1.0 + log(1.0) = 1.0;
    100 friendlies vs 10 enemies: 1.0 + log(1.0 + 10/100) = 1.0 + log (1.1) = 1.04
    50 friendlies vs 50 enemies: 1.0 + log(1.0 + 50/50) = 1.0 + log(2.0) = 1.30
    100 enemies vs 10 friendlies: 1.0 + log(1.0 + 100/10) = 1.0 + log(11) = 2.04

• Modifier B - Area influence [A]. (low influence == more (harder), high influence == less (easier)).

Example formula: A% influence is (1.0 + 1.0-A/100).

If you have all surrounding terrain, you get no bonus as there's no chance the enemy can take it back.

• Modifier C - Hex activity over time. The longer it takes, the harder it apparently was to take it, the more were fighting over this base in the last X minutes since the most recent capture, the more points. This can be based on a number of things.

Note that all modifiers are at least 1.0, so the basic reward is for simply taking the terrain unhindered and the others for doing so under some pressure, promoting fights and challenges.

Another modifier could be the proximity of the base to the enemy warpgates or alternatively its distance to yours (further is harder). Some of these modifiers could also be related to resource gain (Auraxium) instead.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Raka Maru
Major

Rather than cutting XP for smaller outposts, they should multiply XP by cap points and place more cap points in the bigger bases.

Small outpost:
1 x 500 = 500 XP

Medium Base:
3 x 500 = 1500 XP

Big Base:
5 x 500 = 2500 XP

These do not include the points for turning each cap point or the kill XP. They would have to reimplement the multiple cap points for the big bases rather than one single point A. This would offset both the huge prices for certs as well as having the big bases more attractive to attack, especially for big outfits. The smaller teams may choose to join in the big battles or not, but time for big base cap cap and time for small skirmishes would be balanced.

Say big base takes 1 hr to cap, and 5 small bases take the same time of 1 hr, either way they get 2500 XP. This gives you a choice to go big or small rather than forcing small caps because it is the most XP.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
The long drawn out battles pay for themselves.

small outpost cap...200 XP for switching colors...500 for ownership change...potentially no kills.

2 hour fight at a large facility..500 for ownership change..potentially multiple color changes at control points..at 200 a pop...plus how many troop and vehicle kills at 100+ experience a kill....I feel that large battles pay out pretty well...
dont get me wrong Rat, I prefer the big battles, but currently its about getting those certs up, and Auraxium. So I can get some cool gadgets and upgrade my sundy. Im just saying the other day I manage to rack up over 2k in xp in 20 min capping small bases and getting a couple of kills. Yes in two hours defenders will gain alot more xp, they hold the base, and as long as they keep that influence bar moving they will continue to gain. But that is a slow moving line in a heavy defence. If you have a base with One influence point, your pretty much making xp off of kills and stuff, the influence bar wont move.

Nuff said, just wanted to express the fact that I miss the PS1 xp pay out and a beer after a good long fight.
Old 2012-09-26, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mavvvy
Corporal

Related to the original post. I've found that in a situation your faction is a minority you do not get rewarded sufficiently for holding onto strategic locations.

Take for instance broken ridge pass, on thyone server my squad and a number of other nc squads were fighting to hold back the VS from gaining a foothold from which they could then attack tawrich.

We were literally farmed by mag riders who used height to their advantage, (as any minority faction can attest since server rename its been a struggle to compete in acquiring auraxium, hence lack of antiair and atg rockets to shift the crafty buggers)

But in this this battle dispite being outgunned and manned we managed to halt the push for hours, what's our reward for it, 5% crummy exp gain. Meanwhile vs are purple in the face laughing at how much exp and kills they acquired shooting us fish in a barrel.

An analogy would be "the rich get richer, while the poorer get beaten back to the warp gate".
Old 2012-09-26, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Qwan
Captain

This is just beta and I hope the devs see how the xp system is kind of shaky, I know they wanna make money off of xp boost and designs and stuff like that. As a PS1 vet I never liked the concept of F2P because of twist like these. They keep the xp low, and certs low, to make you fork over the money so you can have a descent anti tank or anti air launcher. Or you can grind it out, not spend your auraxium or certs, hord them and wait till I have enough to actually spend on effective gear. And at this rate its going to be a while.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion