How far along? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hating Hamma for playing techno since 2002
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-12, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Re: How far along?

Hmm I would say were all looking at a 2012 release around may time IMO.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Robert089
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
29 seconds in, TR on the right.
Well bloody spotted, although it isn't a bolt driver () as it fires 2 shots without reloading.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Robert089 View Post
Well bloody spotted, although it isn't a bolt driver () as it fires 2 shots without reloading.
So I guess you spoke with Higby and he confirmed Bolt Driver only has one shot still in PS2?

Sorry a-hole comment, but still if there's one thing I've gotten into my head from some of the other members on this board it's stop thinking of this in terms of planetside 1. That very well COULD be the bolt driver and due to how hitboxes have changed and how there's bullet physics etc, it just might have a clip of more than 2 who knows.

It also might not be a bolt driver at all.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

in any case its a sniper rile and makes up one of there 20 guns.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Robert089
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
So I guess you spoke with Higby and he confirmed Bolt Driver only has one shot still in PS2?

Sorry a-hole comment, but still if there's one thing I've gotten into my head from some of the other members on this board it's stop thinking of this in terms of planetside 1. That very well COULD be the bolt driver and due to how hitboxes have changed and how there's bullet physics etc, it just might have a clip of more than 2 who knows.

It also might not be a bolt driver at all.
Well my reasoning is simply that because it fires differently and looks different then it probably is different, so why name it the same?

They could be going with empire specific sniper rifles this time around, that's something to think about.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Robert089 View Post
Well my reasoning is simply that because it fires differently and looks different then it probably is different, so why name it the same?

They could be going with empire specific sniper rifles this time around, that's something to think about.
pro plan, lets give the NC the current sniper rifle, but with double the damage, the TR the HSR and the CS one that does less damage than the current one but with an AP mode.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Good news is once they get a whole cont completed and most of the gameplay nailed down they can start testing core combat.
What? No frickin way man.
They're bringing the caves back for PS2?
Old 2011-07-12, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
pro plan, lets give the NC the current sniper rifle, but with double the damage, the TR the HSR and the CS one that does less damage than the current one but with an AP mode.
NC get the shotgun sniper. I like to call it the Bolt Hammer
Old 2011-07-12, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dragoneye
Private

In Industry lingo, this was a "Put up or Shut up" statement.

Basically, the dev team got Smedley on board to say "You know what, lets try to make this a full game."

However: 1.) Smedley already made an announcement of an announcement, and 2.) Smedley is not the first and last word on what projects get funding. He's got to prove to an internal constituency that there is enough interest in the game to make a return on investment.

So think of this as both pleasing the fans who would have gotten invites, and testing the hype-waters. People see the QA videos on GT etc. and see the 9/10 ratings it's getting and they get comforted about putting out that kind of cash for development.

But, judging from how "Blue-skies" the entire QA was, the game is at least a year off.
Old 2011-07-12, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I would say that I went into last weekend thinking that they had already devoted significant hours into an actual sequel rather than an engine upgrade (from what? Directx 8?), the key distinction between Planetside: Next and Planetside 2.

I gotta say, I was rabidly loyal to SOE up until some cracks in my resolve to defend them started showing up, first with that useless black ops timer last year and then with what I feel to be misleading tweets. My positive feelings toward SOE have definitely cooled off a bit.
Old 2011-07-12, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Desoxy
Corporal

For me personally(!) the most "accurate" estimate can be found in the "What we know so far"-Newspost from PC Gamer.

Originally Posted by PC Gamer
I’ll go out on a limb and say beta late 2011, release mid-2012. Smedley refused to be specific, but told me, “it’s not coming out soon, but it’s coming sooner than you think.”
I guess most of the graphical assets are quite far along (since they've been created for PS:Next), but they have quite some (R&D) work left with the new backend systems/playtesting the new skill/cert-system, which adds quite some variance to the ETA, hence them denying any specific dates, what I really appreciate to be honest..
Old 2011-07-18, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Operations
Private

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
For me personally(!) the most "accurate" estimate can be found in the "What we know so far"-Newspost from PC Gamer.
Thanks for the link, I been trying to get a feel for if we should expect it this year or not.
I guess releasing next year would at least let them give Battlefield 3 a wide berth.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

They have to be close to a playable Alpha Build (despite switching over to a new engine after the layoffs).

See 9:22 in this video
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...tside-2/717183

Smed says something along the lines of "Im going to take a week off work to play BF3, but when that week is over I'll go back to playing PS2". That can be interpreted as testing Alpha builds or playing Beta or perhaps the full release. And from that we can figure that there will be some sort of Alpha build playable by October 2011.

Subsequently, you can do the PS1 time line math. Which is that PS1 was shown at E3 in 2001 but wasn't released until 2003. The same time line would put an E3 announcement in May/June 2012 and a release in 2014.

However, I feel we are looking at a May 2012 release personally. That is because I feel there are special circumstances to this project that may warrant skipping a showing at E3 and expediting the release of PS2.

Sometimes we have jobs at work that are "can't fail or we'll all be fired". IMO this is a "can't fail" job. When I was complaining about the lack of info at E3 on the Planetside forums, I stated that "the big boys are all showing off their new engines (referring to frost bite)...all we are getting from PS2 is a couple of low texture models and a cocktail napkin UML on Tony Parks wall..." I had little faith in PS2 being anything more than vapor ware at that time. IMO, The Agency layoffs and the diversion of tactics and resources to PS2 was the decision of many high ups at Sony to save SOE. IOW, if PS2 and/or EQ:N fails... thats it.

For me personally, the layoffs and the change to a new engine saved my interest in this game. Yes, I've been waiting 8 years for this game, but a re-skin wasn't worth the wait and I would have been outraged by anything less than what I've seen.

If that is indeed the case, expect all hands to be on deck for this and anything is possible in terms of a time line for release. I thank all those at SoE and Sony who finally realized that they have one of the most valuable IPs in gaming history and decided to bet on it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 2011-07-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dante
Private

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
They have to be close to a playable Alpha Build (despite switching over to a new engine after the layoffs).

See 9:22 in this video
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...tside-2/717183

Smed says something along the lines of "Im going to take a week off work to play BF3, but when that week is over I'll go back to playing PS2". That can be interpreted as testing Alpha builds or playing Beta or perhaps the full release. And from that we can figure that there will be some sort of Alpha build playable by October 2011.

Subsequently, you can do the PS1 time line math. Which is that PS1 was shown at E3 in 2001 but wasn't released until 2003. The same time line would put an E3 announcement in May/June 2012 and a release in 2014.

However, I feel we are looking at a May 2012 release personally. That is because I feel there are special circumstances to this project that may warrant skipping a showing at E3 and expediting the release of PS2.

Sometimes we have jobs at work that are "can't fail or we'll all be fired". IMO this is a "can't fail" job. When I was complaining about the lack of info at E3 on the Planetside forums, I stated that "the big boys are all showing off their new engines (referring to frost bite)...all we are getting from PS2 is a couple of low texture models and a cocktail napkin UML on Tony Parks wall..." I had little faith in PS2 being anything more than vapor ware at that time. IMO, The Agency layoffs and the diversion of tactics and resources to PS2 was the decision of many high ups at Sony to save SOE. IOW, if PS2 and/or EQ:N fails... thats it.

For me personally, the layoffs and the change to a new engine saved my interest in this game. Yes, I've been waiting 8 years for this game, but a re-skin wasn't worth the wait and I would have been outraged by anything less than what I've seen.

If that is indeed the case, expect all hands to be on deck for this and anything is possible in terms of a time line for release. I thank all those at SoE and Sony who finally realized that they have one of the most valuable IPs in gaming history.
Thats was a good spot he might have unknowingly gave some of there beta release dates away lol
Old 2011-07-18, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

His comment could mean anything really, he will be playing it well before any of us

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion