News: RPS interview with Higby - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will There be Jet Packs?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-09, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: RPS interview with Higby

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Fuck, can't believe im agreeing with this guy but...

http://rubenfield.com/?p=63

That was written in 08.

except for the consoles part. fuck that.
"Second Addendum : Also, I know APB is pushing the envelope but until I can play it, I don’t believe they can do it the way they are doing it."

I would rather have my personalized inventories. I think I might stick with PS1.
Indeed. I still prefer inventories. Where both of them are talking about the light class with the jump pack. He uses the method of saying if people could customize their load outs freely they would use sniper rifle causing it to be OP. Well why do not they just make it, so you are limited to MA type weapons? PS did that with cloakers by only allowing them to use pistols. Kinda of a lame way to justify it imo.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-09-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2011-09-09, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
RPS: Apart from the maxes, I was the annoying guy who stood behind a wall firing a range of grenades from my thumper.

Higby: Maxes in Planetside 2 are really interesting too. They have multiple weapon systems; you can put an anti-air on one arm and anti-infantry on the other. Or two of each, so you can really customise them.

MINE BFR!, MINIIII BFR!!!!
Hardly. 2 people don't operate a Max.

Does this mean however that all 3 factions will have max's that shoot with 2 arms this time around? Am I way behind on this?
Old 2011-09-09, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

Ah meng, i luved drivin an AMS. So what do galaxy's cloak now? I dont see how im suppose to get to the fight faster if dey always shootin mah Spawn point down. But who knows..

This is all speculation at this point, what sounds good/bad on paper might actually be complete different in practice, so i certainly will have an open mind. Besides i play any game that lets you have more then 64 people in a fight, that aspect alone is gold to me!
Old 2011-09-09, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TacosWLove View Post
So what do galaxy's cloak now? I dont see how im suppose to get to the fight faster if dey always shootin mah Spawn point down. But who knows..
Air Superiority. Defend your skies, so you can spawn from them.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Really? PS1 would have been stupid if all three empires had an MCG. What's the point of one empire over another?
NC get a Gatling shotgun.

No, more seriously, though; you can still get legitimate variations on theme with 3 empire specific versions of the old HA. All that means is that the new HA won't all be pigeon-holed into the close-range bracket. You can say, for instance, "the 3 minigun variants are heavy weapons that fall into the range band that MA used to dominate, while TR and VS get heavy shotgun variants to replace the old close-range band heavy weapons."

I see this as part of taking MA down a peg, so that the heavy assault class is still desirable when not fighting indoors, since there's going to be a shift in focus away from "indoor fighting is the only infantry combat that matters." Now, no matter the environment you're fighting in, you get the option, when spawning, of choosing your class: do you want HA to be really dangerous, offensively, or would you settle for MA+ class specific utility? If HA was still limited to one weapon type per empire that always fell into a certain range band, unless you were fighting in that range band, there's no reason to give up the utility offered by "settling" for MA.

As to the interview itself:

Auto-repair nanites? I'm so totally becoming a blockade running sundy driver.

"Load it up with armor, transmission, and nanites, boys. Throw out the guns, we're ramming through!"

Also.. an accurate cycler? The paradox is too strong; the universe is collapsing!
Old 2011-09-09, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Draep
The class system is a good idea. Personalized inventories allowed you to fly a mossie into a base with heavy assault, anti vehicle and engineer, how is that teamplay based or balanced at all?
Air cav droppers have agile armor. You have rexo and maxes. Do the math.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Air cav droppers have agile armor. You have rexo and maxes. Do the math.
This if you can't handle them then figure out how to actually kill them.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Draep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
This if you can't handle them then figure out how to actually kill them.

Perhaps I won't have to anymore.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
If you like this method of streamlined, braindead, zombie-friendly gameplay, go throw your money at blizzard with WoW and D3.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Draep
Master Sergeant

If you like this method of streamlined, braindead, zombie-friendly gameplay, go throw your money at blizzard with WoW and D3.
No, I'll play Planetside 2 when it comes out, hopefully I'll get into beta. Why don't you just stick to your original plan and play with PS1 if that stays around lol. I hardly think forcing people to specialize in something rather than every player being a jack of all trades and a master of everything is dumbing the game down.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
I will await you crying saying pilot suits need pistol only when those guys are you killing you with rifles .
Old 2011-09-09, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Draep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I will await you crying saying pilot suits need pistol only when those guys are you killing you with rifles .
Your name is Goku, I can hardly take you seriously. Maybe I should join your outfit under the name: Ernest Goes to Planetside. Sorry I hurt your feelings.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Most likely not. Yay for dumbing down the game.

lol@'d at this

Higby: The coolest thing from the original Planetside… I’ll be honest, I’m a griefer, I love getting in situations where I’m having the time of my life at other people’s expense. I’m one of those a-holes who’d get a stealth suit on, go down inside a base, hack the command terminal, get a Max and sit in the spawn room spawn-camping people. Like, you can’t do that any more. I had the time of my life doing that. As a designer, it’s important to have that mindset, to think like someone who exploits and likes griefing, so you can figure out ways of mitigating it, whilst leaving some little element in there.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

Each faction has not only their own assault rifle, but also chaingun, sniper rifle, pistol… basically every one of the main weapons.
What the fuck. So much for empire diversity.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2011-09-09, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

What the fuck.
this is fantastic. love it
Old 2011-09-09, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
this is fantastic. love it
Really? PS1 would have been stupid if all three empires had an MCG. What's the point of one empire over another?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion